Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby jbrodin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:27 pm

rnelias wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 am
jbrodin wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:45 pm
Ice101 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:07 am

Didn’t Armin say that wasn’t recommended though on another post?
Yes, but he just loops back to saying we should do the long mixertest, he says nothing about what to do if it does not work (which was the case for me, and for several others I have heard from). I have a discussion going with him on the FS Facebook page, and he does not have me convinced yet!
I'm an engineer and don't like to just follow recipes without understanding how things work.

Instead of giving a "recipe", I think it would be more productive if Flysurfer could give us an explanation how mixer works and how it's implemented on their kites. From what I can understand, the pulley system -- the mixer -- just distribute ("mix") the load among the 4 bridle layers in order to keep the wing shape as close as possible to its design, however, the relation between line lengths, pulley reductions and pivot points seems that depends on the experience of whom is tunning the kite. Two anchoring point placed together/separate, pigtails, etc... I've already seem, at least, 3 different ways to make a mixer test.

Another good idea, that I've seem on the FB page, would be a table of cause x effects when tunning the kite.
I concur, in fact I mught be the one that brought up the table idea ;). My discussion with Armin is at a bit if a stalemate. Basically he is saying that if the long mixertest does not lead to a good tune, then something is broken or overstretched. I am half tempted to just send the kite to them to see what they will can do.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby juanpasala » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:00 pm

jbrodin wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:27 pm
rnelias wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 am
jbrodin wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Yes, but he just loops back to saying we should do the long mixertest, he says nothing about what to do if it does not work (which was the case for me, and for several others I have heard from). I have a discussion going with him on the FS Facebook page, and he does not have me convinced yet!
I'm an engineer and don't like to just follow recipes without understanding how things work.

Instead of giving a "recipe", I think it would be more productive if Flysurfer could give us an explanation how mixer works and how it's implemented on their kites. From what I can understand, the pulley system -- the mixer -- just distribute ("mix") the load among the 4 bridle layers in order to keep the wing shape as close as possible to its design, however, the relation between line lengths, pulley reductions and pivot points seems that depends on the experience of whom is tunning the kite. Two anchoring point placed together/separate, pigtails, etc... I've already seem, at least, 3 different ways to make a mixer test.

Another good idea, that I've seem on the FB page, would be a table of cause x effects when tunning the kite.
I concur, in fact I mught be the one that brought up the table idea ;). My discussion with Armin is at a bit if a stalemate. Basically he is saying that if the long mixertest does not lead to a good tune, then something is broken or overstretched. I am half tempted to just send the kite to them to see what they will can do.
From the video you sent the kite seems to be awfully slow.
I Get that the normal mixer test might not work for you, but the setting you have is completelly distorded and front loaded, which will give you a lot of problems in gusty conditions.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:45 pm

i'll check the mixer,i always do the long mixer test , as i consider that the best , taking in account of any movement in the lines for what ever reason

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:33 pm

I confirmed this morning that my new 12m Soul gets me going in same 6-8knot wind as my old Sonic Race 15m. Speed and angle isn’t as good of course, but recovery from stalls and mistakes is much easier. It’s such a dog to fly, though, accelerates so slowly compared to race kite.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
airsail (Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm

One more thing i need to add on kite pulling to one side. As i mentioned before I trimmed my kite to the millimetre and it was flying great. 2 sessions later it started pulling to the opposite side. I did a quick long mixer test and everything was equal. I went home later, scratching my head, and i thought to give the kite a good wash because i hadnt done so in sometime and i thought it might have some dirt inside and make in it heavy on one side, or smth. Aftet a good dip in my bathtub and letting lots of water running through the inside of the kite, VOILA, several pepples and some sand came out of the kite. And trust me that was the reason of the kite flying on one side. Next session the kite was flying normal again. So yeah try giving the kite a good wash on the inside before checking anything. Especially on a kite with not many hours.

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:59 am

juanpasala wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:00 pm
From the video you sent the kite seems to be awfully slow.
I Get that the normal mixer test might not work for you, but the setting you have is completelly distorded and front loaded, which will give you a lot of problems in gusty conditions.
Thanks, you might be right. This was a very low wind day. From kiting with it now, I can say that it is the first time I am not at all bothered by tucking wingtips. Taking the kite up and down, tuning, testing - it all takes away time from just kiting. I am quite near to sending the kite to Flysurfer to see what they say.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:59 pm

i see a version 2 0f the soul on ebay the, 6 , spill the beans then :D pete-is it a big improvement

Allarounder
Rare Poster
Weight: 75
Gear: Flysurfer soul 10m

Postby Allarounder » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:35 am

Any people here have upgraded to the sonic after soul ?

I'm considering upgrading my 10m soul v1 to sonic 11m.
It seems like everything is better on the sonic from reviews . But some things are not being talked about...
How is the drift of the sonic compared to the soul ?
Wind ranges ?
Any info would be appreciated.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 am

I have both ..I like Sonic 11m mainly because I'm free racing ( 637 ) with this kite but for carving (633) around obvious choice is the Soul..you can't have all qualities in one kite. That said advanced riders will benefit more from Sonic
These users thanked the author sonny2727 for the post:
Allarounder (Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Allarounder
Rare Poster
Weight: 75
Gear: Flysurfer soul 10m

Postby Allarounder » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:22 pm

sonny2727 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 am
I have both ..I like Sonic 11m mainly because I'm free racing ( 637 ) with this kite but for carving (633) around obvious choice is the Soul..you can't have all qualities in one kite. That said advanced riders will benefit more from Sonic
Why the soul is better for carving , if the sonic turns faster ?
How is the drift compared between them ?

Return to “Foil Kites”