Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:38 pm

Allarounder wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:22 pm
sonny2727 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 am
I have both ..I like Sonic 11m mainly because I'm free racing ( 637 ) with this kite but for carving (633) around obvious choice is the Soul..you can't have all qualities in one kite. That said advanced riders will benefit more from Sonic
Why the soul is better for carving , if the sonic turns faster ?
How is the drift compared between them ?
The Sonic does not turn faster.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:31 pm

Allarounder wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:22 pm
sonny2727 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 am
I have both ..I like Sonic 11m mainly because I'm free racing ( 637 ) with this kite but for carving (633) around obvious choice is the Soul..you can't have all qualities in one kite. That said advanced riders will benefit more from Sonic
Why the soul is better for carving , if the sonic turns faster ?
How is the drift compared between them ?
As I've said before many times:
Sonic is for racing, more straight like foiling, loftier jumps, and will produce more power per size versus the Soul but requires more skill to do so. Best for ultimate low wind
Soul is for more carving/ride waving, drifts better, moves faster through the turn, easier to get a powerful loop out of, relaunches easier, and in my opinion jumps higher due to the way it turns

When I want super low end or jumping session on HF - Sonic
When I want to foil the surf, the wind is unstable/gusty, or high wind foiling I pull out the Soul.

There's not just a difference in speed in the turn between the two.
The Sonic more pivots when it turns. You can produce a power loop to get up on foil but it takes more skill to get right. You can quickly pivot turn the Sonic easier but it will do so without much power. Fairly constant speed through the turn. Building power through apparent wind MUCH better.

The Soul doesn't pivot as much and it tends to speed up in the turn. This is why it is easier to get a good powerful loop which is great for being able to take a smaller size out when you foil. It relaunches much easier and can stay on the water longer without taking on as much water due to intake design. It jumps higher due to the increase of speed in the turns which lets you throw it harder for a jump. Takes gusts/wing changes like a champ, is built stronger, drifts better, and is just overall easier to get the most out of kite. You can still pivot turn spiral loop the Soul but you need to set your bar right. Also I would never powerloop a Sonic on a twintip but love to do so on the Soul.

Down the line in surf, I could never do it on the Sonic even with the shorter lines like I can do with the Soul. The Sonic would end up with a bow ties and twisted wing tips. On the other hand there is no big air session like on the Sonic if the wind is stable.

Pick your poison. Sure if you aren't pushing it and have the skills you could almost do the same with either model but depending on you like to do the most ones gonna just be more fun than the other.

If I could only go Sonic or Soul right now, it would be the Soul. It is more of the overall kite. What I'm waiting for is something like a Soul "Pro". Built less sturdy(which was done since its marketed for first foils so built tough) and more like the Sonic: Cleaner leading edge built with thinner material, a little cleaner wing, and a reduction in supports if possible. THAT would be my ultimate kite.

=Jason-
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 2):
Allarounder (Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:07 am) • deldenk (Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:33 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Drachensegler
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Switzerland
Favorite Beaches: Soma Bay
Style: Freeride
Been thanked: 0

Postby Drachensegler » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:18 am

Hi Soul mates ;)

I bought a 10m2 Soul 1, and I think I need another bar for foiling in light wind. I have Slingshot Sentinel Bar with 20/23m lines which I also use for strong wind kiting with tube kites, but I would like to have shorter lines for foiling. I read foiling should be nicer with 17m lines. What is your preferred line length for foiling with the Soul 10m2?

And which Bar do you recommend. I tend to Flysurfer Infinity XX. I read that it is a good much, but I also read, and saw personally, that the Infinity XX looks very worn out already after a few sessions. The super comfy microfiberhightechy EVA grip tape seems to be very, very bad quality. What about the rest of parts?

And then I saw the Force 2, which looks attractive on the website, but even more hightechy. But it does not mention Soul or foiling. It seems more for wave and freestyle.

What is your recommendation for a general purpose bar for Soul, with the option to fly shorter lines?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :D

Kiterpep
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Scheveningen, Rockanje
Style: Wave
Gear: Naish, F-One, Flysurfer, Crazyfly

Postby Kiterpep » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:56 am

I was first flying my Soul 10m on 17m lines but I did not like the slow turning. Shortened the lines to 12m and I like it much more, easier to keep the kite moving and does not matter once you're up the foil.

I have the force bar, it's very nice, with a good QR and solid handles, just had to buy the small loop for it. On an older kite I had the predecessor of the infinity bar, which was not as good. The automatic untwist is nice, but kills your depower line quite fast, and the grip and floats are quite bad and broke quickly.
These users thanked the author Kiterpep for the post:
Drachensegler (Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:18 am

I used the 10m V1 a lot with 17m lines. It's really nice to reduce the wind window, especially during gybes and such, as on long lines it will keep pulling like a truck for a looooong time to get to the other side of the window.

However with low wind I now prefer longer lines, I'm currently on 24m. This gives me more security to keep the kite high and dry in lower wind om the foil, as well as more room for the powerstroke to get up on foil.

I just changed from 50cm to 55cm bar. I can't understand why Flysurfer recommends a 50cm bar all the way up to 15m. With a longer bar and extended depower throw, I can now still steer it while being depowered more, so it extends the range massively. 55 is so much nicer.
These users thanked the author Nelis for the post:
Drachensegler (Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:22 am)

thatwildtype
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: allornothing

Postby thatwildtype » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:20 am

I fully agree on the bar length. 15 m Soul with 60cm bar on 20 lines is a joy to fly, on the 50cm bar it sucks big time. On the 60cm bar I hardly ever need to grab floaters or lines.
These users thanked the author thatwildtype for the post:
Drachensegler (Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:31 pm)

rafinhakite_
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 63
Local Beach: Brasília
Favorite Beaches: Lago Paranoá
Style: Foil
Gear: F-one foil e breeze

Postby rafinhakite_ » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:22 pm

I have the Soul 2, 12 meters, I've used it with the 50 cm and 60 cm Infinity XX bar. With the 60 cm bar the kite is much better to make kiteloops without difficulty. The Soul 10 kite works well with the 50 cm bar. Regarding the bar defect, it really releases the EVA depending on the type of grip and strength used, in my case all three bars that I have released the EVA on the right side.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:00 pm

I have the soul 10m. It’s had a good deal of use now but getting an issue with the left wing tip folding under on turns now. I think this is because I am a goofy rider and use it for free ride and boosting and mainly jump on one direction to the right. But it’s the left tip that folds.
I have tried to re tune it on the mixer but this doesn’t work or stop the fold. Has any one else had this issue and managed to correct it on an older kite?
I bought a 13m sonic ex demo from Flysurfer it did the same on purchase and have never managed to get that one sorted out either or have a good ride on it safe. but now my soul is starting to do the same I am concerned I won’t be able to correct it as can’t figure which bit needs adjusting when the mixer is spot on?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:53 am

Any news of a Soul V3 yet? Or prototype sightings?

Allarounder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Gear: Flysurfer soul 10m

Postby Allarounder » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:08 am

Ice101 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:00 pm
I have the soul 10m. It’s had a good deal of use now but getting an issue with the left wing tip folding under on turns now. I think this is because I am a goofy rider and use it for free ride and boosting and mainly jump on one direction to the right. But it’s the left tip that folds.
I have tried to re tune it on the mixer but this doesn’t work or stop the fold. Has any one else had this issue and managed to correct it on an older kite?
I bought a 13m sonic ex demo from Flysurfer it did the same on purchase and have never managed to get that one sorted out either or have a good ride on it safe. but now my soul is starting to do the same I am concerned I won’t be able to correct it as can’t figure which bit needs adjusting when the mixer is spot on?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Start jumping on the other side . This will fix it faster then you Imagine.

Return to “Foil Kites”