Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby Skywalker7 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:23 pm

mgs wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:22 pm
That’s definitely an option as all my kites are Ozone in which the HL 9m V2 or even an HL 9m V1 would be fine,i'm sure.
There are several guys on FS kites at my local beach and just fancied the idea of trying something else. :D
It will all come down to price anyway.
Just test the Soul 10 M and 8 M and decide for yourself. I have the Soul 10M and it is possible to depower a lot but definitely try for yourself.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm
Could someone here with very recent information tell me what to purchase for a good bar for a brand new Soul? I have my 12m on order and it's waiting in California at the shop.... but I've told them to wait 2 weeks until the new FS bar apparently arrives.
Any new information here on the 2019 compatible FS bar for the 12m Soul?
TIA
I would not recommend anything less than 60cm. These kites need lots of steering input. I ride 60 even on the 8m

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:24 am

cwood wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm
PurdyKiter wrote:
Could someone here with very recent information tell me what to purchase for a good bar for a brand new Soul? I have my 12m on order and it's waiting in California at the shop.... but I've told them to wait 2 weeks until the new FS bar apparently arrives.
TIA
I would not recommend anything less than 60cm. These kites need lots of steering input. I ride 60 even on the 8m
I would disagree with that statement. I’ve used the 50cm bar on the 15 without any big problems. I wouldn’t want the 60cm on the 8m or smaller. You run into the problem of stalling one side of the wing more when turning hard and end up losing a lot of power in the process.

Sometimes this is a good thing but when I want to do it I’ll pull a ball on the steering lines. Having this happen accidentally could be big problems for me during kiteloops, starting at the very bottom end of the wind window, during hard carves, etc.

The 12m is kinda the break over point where you could go either way. Personally the 12 and larger is when I go with the larger bar.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:58 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:24 am
cwood wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:00 pm
PurdyKiter wrote:
TIA
I would disagree with that statement. I’ve used the 50cm bar on the 15 without any big problems. I wouldn’t want the 60cm on the 8m or smaller. You run into the problem of stalling one side of the wing more when turning hard and end up losing a lot of power in the process.

Sometimes this is a good thing but when I want to do it I’ll pull a ball on the steering lines. Having this happen accidentally could be big problems for me during kiteloops, starting at the very bottom end of the wind window, during hard carves, etc.

The 12m is kinda the break over point where you could go either way. Personally the 12 and larger is when I go with the larger bar.
Interesting, have not had this issue that I can tell and prefer the harder snap for foil boosting. Just a preference I guess...

noahsw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing

Postby noahsw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:21 pm

I botched a downloop yesterday, 10m hit the water, somehow twisted and started spiraling. It wasn't pulling me aggressively but it didn't look good. A twisted ball of mess. Once it settled the leading edge was pointed down but the non-bridled side was facing the wind. I tugged on each steering line for a few minutes but no luck. I wasn't sure what to do other than drift in. Finally I thought to pull both steering lines and boom, it popped right up without a single tangle! The only issue was one of the Velcro valves had opened slightly. It flew fine but I came in to fix it. Wild.

Anything I could have done to stop the spiraling earlier? That was the scary part.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:28 pm

noahsw wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:21 pm
I botched a downloop yesterday, 10m hit the water, somehow twisted and started spiraling. It wasn't pulling me aggressively but it didn't look good. A twisted ball of mess. Once it settled the leading edge was pointed down but the non-bridled side was facing the wind. I tugged on each steering line for a few minutes but no luck. I wasn't sure what to do other than drift in. Finally I thought to pull both steering lines and boom, it popped right up without a single tangle! The only issue was one of the Velcro valves had opened slightly. It flew fine but I came in to fix it. Wild.

Anything I could have done to stop the spiraling earlier? That was the scary part.
Don’t hit the water on a downloop or don’t slack the lines. Foils turn into a big ball when there’s no line tension.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:28 pm
noahsw wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:21 pm

Don’t hit the water on a downloop or don’t slack the lines. Foils turn into a big ball when there’s no line tension.
Sorta like this....one of my fav shots. My buddies kite in Cuba.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:07 pm

cwood wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Sorta like this....one of my fav shots. My buddies kite in Cuba.

What makes that photo great are the two people on the beach. :lol: The gentleman looks like he's going to supervise the operation, or else he's pretty satisfied to see that "dang kitebirder" go down. Or maybe he's hoping for a total kitemare like a NASCAR fan hoping for a pile-up. The "young lady" could give a sh*t about it all. She probably doesn't even realize there's an ocean behind her. :thumb:

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:14 pm

If the kite makes the spiral ball, try to grab the two stearinglines above the swimmers and pull left and right in a aggressiv manner. The left and right shaking often helps to untangle the bridle/mixer/pulleys. Pulling and shaking the fronts often helps too.
By shortening/ backstalling one stearingline you may stop the spiral like it was discribed in the famous Death spiral vid(works also with foils)
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
noahsw (Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:18 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:07 pm

What makes that photo great are the two people on the beach. :lol: The gentleman looks like he's going to supervise the operation, or else he's pretty satisfied to see that "dang kitebirder" go down. Or maybe he's hoping for a total kitemare like a NASCAR fan hoping for a pile-up. The "young lady" could give a sh*t about it all. She probably doesn't even realize there's an ocean behind her. :thumb:
Oh ya for sure.....My instagram post of it (@chucktatham if anyone is interested) says: Damn kids and their foil kites.

I also like this one due to people being oblivious or we just thinking we are cooler than we are :-)

Return to “Foil Kites”