Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby PabloQ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:07 pm

The value of time, so you can call this answer. A year ago for this posting and the information that was happening was born for me a concept, flysurfer soul. From the beginning in this sport, look for a perfect kite ... then I was accommodating my limits to a perfect kite for me. Would it exist?

The first concept he took was the range in 10m. I told a friend with more experience in kite foils if it seemed right. According to manual 11-33, waiting for a lapidary response. Impossible there is no such range. And each new piece of news was a crossroads of opinions. Materials, internal pressure forms, projected surface, flanged. Everything was discussion about the real possibility of a kite that we did not have.

Fortunately, something that is rare in Argentina, the local distributor organized material tests, and with those tests I was able to make reviews that I usually do about the kites that come to my hands.
I was always impartial with my concepts, but the kite had surprised me in many aspects and changed my point of view with the material that I usually use.

After a while and thanks to the local dealer I was able to buy a 10m with very little use. There I did no have to be impartial . I love this kite. It's as if someone in Germany got up one morning and said. There is a guy in Quilmes Argentina who wants a kite with a lot of range, very good tight and great hang time in high jumps. Then Benny Bôlli sits and designs a kite for me but also with benefits for other more demanding users.
Then this kite was made to measure (in my dreams) and it's been a year since the posting that accelerated my heart.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Welcome to the world of flysurfer foil kites the best foil kites around . Self landing is as another poster said tip as close to ground and release. backstalling Is not an option except for lightwind days ,, now I will just need to test that soul out at plumb come this summer. :lol:
deniska wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:51 pm
Sorry if that has been discussed already, but how do you self-land the soul in really powered conditions?
I am getting my 15 today and want to make sure I don't make an ass of myself tomorrow :-)
I am aware of back stalling technique.. but would it work well when overpowered?
Hooking it to an anchor while at 45-60deg and running to catch it, seems to be the safest for the kite (if things go well) but may lead to epic fails, from what I've read so far..
what else?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:59 pm

I backstall land, unhook and single backline walk to kite in every condition we have if I have to land solo. I don't have soul but I doubt it is that different to my quiver of sonics,1&2 speed 3s and 4s I've had or currently own. In low winds I wind lines to bar in backstall position to reach the kite. Foil will sit there as long as backlines are backstall position. Too tight backlines may cause kite to lift up because trailing edge is too shallow angle and some air escapes the kite.

Another option could be slowspeed crashland kite to window edge (so that it collapses to taco), quickly unhook so kite starts at most slowly rolling downwind instead of opening due to line tension and backline-walk to recover flagged kite.

All above are variants of this video

If there is a smooth pole/tree downwind, backstall close to ground (stunt kite flying) and walk towards pole and when kite reaches the pole unhook it and it will flag around pole, collect the kite.

Someone yt even anchored cl, unhooked, put kite in mild dive angle and run to grab when kite is on your reach.

There are so many techniques.

Factories recommend basic technique to start with. But those techniques might have other effects like broken seams of fls side attachment points on very high winds.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
deniska (Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Carlos_C wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:25 pm
inexperienced people are easier than kitesurfers used to lei....the numebr of people who try and land your kite by grabbing the middle of the kit erather than the tip
I've had that happen to me too many times. Now instead of asking if they know how to land a kite, I ask if they know how to land a foil.

Unless I know that the person knows how to land a foil kite, I usually will self land. I've had too many times where people don't understand the concept of grabbing the kite from the upwind side to prevent being tangled up in the bridle lines. People just don't get it.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Foil kites are that strange subset of kitesurfing kites where if you’re after an assisted landing it often works better if it’s a random person who knows nothing about kitesurfing and will listen when you say ‘just hold the lower tip and stay still until I get there’. Say that to a kitesurfer and they do that but then can’t resist trying to grab the middle and stuff everything up...!

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 am

I know it’s old school but I have a 5th on my Soul, just for self landing. In lighter winds I just backstall then walk up the lines.
If stronger I might backstall then hit the safety, kite folds in half and lays there. If it is too strong to backstall I put the kite overhead, hit the safety, the kite folds in half and drops in front of me.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:52 am

airsail wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 am
I know it’s old school but I have a 5th on my Soul, just for self landing. In lighter winds I just backstall then walk up the lines.
If stronger I might backstall then hit the safety, kite folds in half and lays there. If it is too strong to backstall I put the kite overhead, hit the safety, the kite folds in half and drops in front of me.
Where'd you get the FDS kit from? Problem I have about pulling the safety like that is the kite will drop through the power zone which will put more of a shock on the kite. I try to place the kite down on the beach by the edge of the window to help prevent this.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:44 am

Built the FDS kit myself, it is just a bridle with 3 attachment points and an extra line. I know Pansh supplies them with their kites, surprising FS doesn’t supply or at least have them as a spare part considering they were fitted as standard no too long ago.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 am

joriws wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:59 pm
I backstall land, unhook and single backline walk to kite in every condition we have if I have to land solo. I don't have soul but I doubt it is that different to my quiver of sonics,1&2 speed 3s and 4s I've had or currently own. In low winds I wind lines to bar in backstall position to reach the kite. Foil will sit there as long as backlines are backstall position. Too tight backlines may cause kite to lift up because trailing edge is too shallow angle and some air escapes the kite.

Another option could be slowspeed crashland kite to window edge (so that it collapses to taco), quickly unhook so kite starts at most slowly rolling downwind instead of opening due to line tension and backline-walk to recover flagged kite.

All above are variants of this video

If there is a smooth pole/tree downwind, backstall close to ground (stunt kite flying) and walk towards pole and when kite reaches the pole unhook it and it will flag around pole, collect the kite.

Someone yt even anchored cl, unhooked, put kite in mild dive angle and run to grab when kite is on your reach.

There are so many techniques.

Factories recommend basic technique to start with. But those techniques might have other effects like broken seams of fls side attachment points on very high winds.
It is very different.

Let me put it this way, if walking with a bare feet on Soul fabric, it is so slippery the chances are high to break a leg :) It is THAT slippery.

No, it can't be compared to Sonic, simply because of huge amount of air in it. I would say double at least for the same size. It has way longer vents inside (2x?, 1m? for 10m Soul), which potentially can close and hold the pressure ( and I did have a heated discussion about this with AL and still think this will cause the issues in the long run, pressure is not something to forget, will see).

Not easy to see how far the vent goes but, here it is:
IMG_0420.resized.JPG
Plus heaps longer bridles.

So, not even close to Sonic in the same size.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:52 am

Longer vents prevent water ingress. They may hold air pressure slightly better, but water ingress, mainly with waves, was the reason they were first used.

Return to “Foil Kites”