Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
noahsw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby noahsw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:16 am

Jason - when’s your video on Soul + foil jumping coming out? I’m desperate! :-)

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:27 am

MasonJ19 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:07 pm
While on the subject of the soul, I have just started flying one purchased a 12. I need some assistance I'm not that experienced I did a bit kiteboarding with lei kites a few years a go and am just getting back in to it. I wanted a foil i could use on all terrains. Anyway I took it flying today and it just didnt want to turn at any sort of pace and was actually quite difficult to fly. I had pull the lines to get it to turn properly! The bar was just so unresponsive. It also kept kind of bouncing at 12 right above my head wanting to front stall all the time, the lines would go slack and then it would go back to normal position (still quite high in the window). If that makes sense? I also found it was probably more responsive turning to the left than to the right, but still slow!. It wasnt a light wind issue because the wind was there. What do you think?
My initial guess is that your rear lines are way too long or your front lines are way too short. Like at least 6 inches.

If you do make any changes I’d recommend the first flight being in minimal (less than 6 knots) of wind in a wide open safe place.

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:10 am

MasonJ19 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:07 pm
While on the subject of the soul, I have just started flying one purchased a 12. I need some assistance I'm not that experienced I did a bit kiteboarding with lei kites a few years a go and am just getting back in to it. I wanted a foil i could use on all terrains. Anyway I took it flying today and it just didnt want to turn at any sort of pace and was actually quite difficult to fly. I had pull the lines to get it to turn properly! The bar was just so unresponsive. It also kept kind of bouncing at 12 right above my head wanting to front stall all the time, the lines would go slack and then it would go back to normal position (still quite high in the window). If that makes sense? I also found it was probably more responsive turning to the left than to the right, but still slow!. It wasnt a light wind issue because the wind was there. What do you think?
I agree and must say, from the three Souls I own (8, 12, and 21), the Soul 12 is particularly reluctant to turn. It turns, but with a lot of delay. I also pull in the stearing line sometimes directly. And in very light wind at the edge of the window it doesn't want to turn at all, unless you grab the stearing line. However, in stronger winds the Souls are super easy to fly, and even if they lack responiveness, it is acceptable.

You should definitely try to shorten the back lines / make front lines longer with pig tails. Otherwise such behavior is normal for all foilkites with high AR, especially in light winds. The higher the AR, the more you must prevent foilkites from overflying you or going too far to the window edge, or it will loose shape and the ears will fold. This is why I have brake lines (the line between the rear lines to make the kite stall).

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:19 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:11 am
Tomlutz wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:00 pm
PurdyKiter wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:09 pm
So far the 10m still scares me with over-powered in 9mph winds. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, as sheeting out builds more power?
Thanks for all the Videos. Been watching "Adventure Logs" and Gunnar's mostly.
Souls are difficult and scary to handle in gusts, but they have an incredible wind range and can be safe in much stronger winds if you allow it to fly far to the window edge. Sheeting out doesn't mean immediate power, first it accelerates and by creating apparent wind the Soul suddenly just yanks you through the air. As this happens with some delay (Souls are particularly little responsive), it is already too late to stop it if it hits you. Sheeting in too late makes the yank only worse. To reduce this effect you should fly the Souls with shorter lines (maby 17m), this way they have less distance and time to create apparent wind and are (or at least they feel) more responsive. - Tom
I highly disagree. I think the Souls are one of the best kites in gusty shitty wind. Perhaps your hyperlinks are so mellow on performance and you just aren't use to it :D

=Jason-
Jason, it is true for you because you are flying the Souls night and day. I don't have hyperlinks, but my Peak, which is designed for this, handles gusts much better, as do my LEI kites and other foilkites with low AR.

By the way, I just loved the way you threw away the Flysurfer safety instructions in the Sonic 3 unboxing vid :thumb: - Tom

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:41 am

Has anyone "actually" fine tuned the 9m Soul internal adjustment.. if so what were the results ?

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:21 pm

Have anyone had new Infinity 4.0 bar in their hands?

rombergo
Rare Poster
Weight: 75
Local Beach: BBC LA Lomma Parkvägen
Gear: Dwarfcraft 3'6 Micro with LFK Impulse foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby rombergo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:24 pm

Armin Harich wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:46 pm
Here you can see the new Connect Bar. The Bar is clean, light and simple but has 5 Lines (7+14m) (all same length).
It is possible to use it at the SOUL, but than you need to mount the 5th Line to one front main to use it as a frontline safety and extend the stopper that it will flag out completely.

So I've just purchased my first Soul (9m, so size of bar not an issue) and wondering if anyone could enlighten me on how much of a project it would be to do the Connect bar 4 line mod?

Easy-peasy or splicey dicey?

Tomlutz
Medium Poster

Postby Tomlutz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:04 pm

rombergo wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:24 pm

So I've just purchased my first Soul (9m, so size of bar not an issue) and wondering if anyone could enlighten me on how much of a project it would be to do the Connect bar 4 line mod?

Easy-peasy or splicey dicey?
will not be easy, you might want to know that Flysurfer stresses that you can't use the Connect Bar for the Souls. You would need additional spare parts, the setup is totally different. - Tom

rombergo
Rare Poster
Weight: 75
Local Beach: BBC LA Lomma Parkvägen
Gear: Dwarfcraft 3'6 Micro with LFK Impulse foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby rombergo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Tomlutz wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:04 pm
Will not be easy, you might want to know that Flysurfer stresses that you can't use the Connect Bar for the Souls. You would need additional spare parts, the setup is totally different. - Tom
I understand that they want to stress that it does not fit if it requires work to make it so, otherwise people would be pretty pissed. However, this is the founder saying that it's perfectly possible, just as long as you remove one line and move another.

So I'm not asking if the bar made for the Soul because clearly not, but rather how much of an operation it is and what it entails.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:24 pm

It is possible to use the connect bar for the SOUL if you know how to modify it, but not perfectly.
The connect bar has also lower breaking strength than out other bars. If the travel range of the safety is not extended enough it could damage your kite.

Please use a Force or Infinity Bar. That works directly and breaking strength is higher and protect your nice SOUL.

The new Race Bar which will soon start to delivered has a Front Line Safety that works directly.
But as it is designed for racing, flyingliness are short and thin. So Force and Infinity Bar is still recommended for the SOUL.
https://flysurfer.com/project/race-control-bar/
Attachments
RACEControlBar.jpg
These users thanked the author Armin Harich for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 am) • pmaggie (Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:24 am) • rombergo (Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:37 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Return to “Foil Kites”