Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby SolarSet » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:54 pm

slide wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:43 pm
my 12 soul is pretty new and not flown much , so i'll recheck , i always do the long mixer test
Apparently you should wait for mixer test until you have at least 10hr so all lines have proper load on them. I wouldn’t do mixer test unless you know what your doing as it easy to mess thing up, I’m guilty of it myself.

snow-angel
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysyrfer
Ozone
Naish
Brand Affiliation: Vantage
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby snow-angel » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:35 pm

Looked over my soul today and noticed that one of the connections in the internal structure has torn. Not sure if this will affect the flying characteristics? If so, is it something i can fix myself?
tempImageFUlkEh.gif
tempImagervlf31.gif
Attachments
tempImageAW3lDC.gif
tempImagePff1iN.gif

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:35 am

slide wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:43 pm
my 12 soul is pretty new and not flown much , so i'll recheck , i always do the long mixer test
Are you new to foil kites? If so, it may not be overflying but more just appears that way because foils sit much further on the edge of the wind window.

First do a bar check. All lines should be equal or the steering lines can be up to 4cm shorter than center lines.

If the kite is new, give the kite 10 hours to break in, then see how it flies.

If you do decide to adjust the bridle, ALWAYS mark where the lines are first before you adjust. That way if you make it worse, it's easy to go back to the previous settings.

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:23 am

snow-angel wrote: Looked over my soul today and noticed that one of the connections in the internal structure has torn. Not sure if this will affect the flying characteristics? If so, is it something i can fix myself?
That looks like the bottom of a D-Rib. There are some D-ribs which do not carry too much load and it distributes elsewhere when you leave it out but not in your case.
It must have taken quite some load otherwise it would not have broken. Also the brdige diagonal construction in the SOUL relies pretty much on the D-ribs to distribute the loads from the bridles into the kite.

Yes it can be fixed by yourself but it needs a sewing machine probably. You have to extend the broken D-Rib a bit with self adhesive spinacker cloth (7-9mm-look at the other seams) (at best from both sides), maybe even a few stitches to secure the bonding. Then it needs to be sewn to the bottom of the cell again. Take a look to a cell where it is intact, and copy. Now comes the tricky part as you need to access the rib from both sides when sewing. There will definetly be some cloth "in the way" always, especially when using a sewing machine. Best practice is you use double sided tape to secure the D-rib to the cell (only the extended bit) like you want to sew it and then try to put it under your sewing machine whithout stitching through something else. This might get a bit nail biting, it is easier to do when the kite is being made, than to do a repair as it´s not closed yet.

If you are a practical guy with some time it can 100% be done with some patience, however if you´re living in close parcel distance to a flysurfer repair partner and rather spend the time kiting, it will be an easy fix for them.

Best regards, Niklas

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:26 pm

Alternative Long Mixertest that actually works (at least on my Soul):

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:07 am

jbrodin wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:26 pm

Didn’t Armin say that wasn’t recommended though on another post?

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:11 pm

I’m late to the Soul party. I just acquired a newish 12m and a well used 6m v1s. I have a good amount of experience with race foil kites on hydrofoil and kite in gusty bay conditions with occasional organized wind swell but mostly choppy messy water. I’m constantly looping, stall-turning, pinwheeling the kite, charging upwind, then carving downwind doing kite tricks and transitions. Strapless Pocket board and Moses 637/420 with 111cm mast @ 75kg.

6m impressions: This kite is amazing! So light and fun but still has the grunt to yank me up on race foil when wind lulls, and top end performance to blast upwind and handle Hugh gusts. I had 3m and 4m Peak 4 kites and sold them as they didn’t handle such a wide wind range comfortably and didn’t pair well with race foil. The 6m Soul is the kite I needed! I don’t have to worry about sizing up or down with the wind and it drifts almost as well, slack lines very well, and even if it tumbles into a ball when slacked, a bit of line tension and a quick yank before it touches the water and it opens up and is golden. It has a strong pull when looped, which takes some getting used to as it’s not as easy to oversheet and stall to dump power like a race kite, but you can still do tight powerless loops with slightly different sheeting muscle memory. The extra peak power and lift for its size is so helpful for recovering from unstable balance and transitions and to water start in lighter wind where the Peak 4 just didn’t have grunt needed for pocket race foil.

12m impressions: pulls like a truck, pull is harder to modulate than race kite, turns slow, harder to stall-turn than race foil kite, tips are very stable when luffed. Downwind carving is excellent and bottom wingtip doesn’t fold up when heavily luffed like a race kite. Need more time on it and bar tuning to get a sense if it will be more useful than 11m and 15m race kites. Current infinity 3.0 cc bar just doesn’t have the sheeting throw to allow for sufficient depower during loops in higher wind. Hopefully when I use it on one of my DIY kiss bars it will be better.

Tangent topic: bar throw. The feeling of the bar being pegged to the stopper with little turn authority, no more depower, all while accelerating downwind while hydrofoiling sucks! I realized I haven’t experience that death run sensation since learning to foil because having long arms and using a DIY bar with almost double the sheeting range makes handling bigger issues foil kites so much better and allows more wind range and comfort both on sheeting out and allowing more close sheeting in to stall the kite.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:04 pm

Gusty 5-14knots on 12m soul with diy bar was much better!! Gotta have that long bar throw.

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:07 am
jbrodin wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:26 pm

Yes, but he just loops back to saying we should do the long mixertest, he says nothing about what to do if it does not work (which was the case for me, and for several others I have heard from). I have a discussion going with him on the FS Facebook page, and he does not have me convinced yet!

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 am

jbrodin wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:45 pm
Ice101 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:07 am

Yes, but he just loops back to saying we should do the long mixertest, he says nothing about what to do if it does not work (which was the case for me, and for several others I have heard from). I have a discussion going with him on the FS Facebook page, and he does not have me convinced yet!
I'm an engineer and don't like to just follow recipes without understanding how things work.

Instead of giving a "recipe", I think it would be more productive if Flysurfer could give us an explanation how mixer works and how it's implemented on their kites. From what I can understand, the pulley system -- the mixer -- just distribute ("mix") the load among the 4 bridle layers in order to keep the wing shape as close as possible to its design, however, the relation between line lengths, pulley reductions and pivot points seems that depends on the experience of whom is tunning the kite. Two anchoring point placed together/separate, pigtails, etc... I've already seem, at least, 3 different ways to make a mixer test.

Another good idea, that I've seem on the FB page, would be a table of cause x effects when tunning the kite.

Return to “Foil Kites”