For all foil kite riders
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Kristan wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:43 pm
Today at my fourth session with Soul I'm checking the bridles and see... this.

Serious questions: What the hell is this and is this acceptable for a kite with a price tag of almost 2000$?
It depends on how it happened, friend. Why are you asking this question of the forum? If you think it's a defect, which you seem to be implying, why not contact the manufacturer or dealer before going public with a rant? :roll:

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:51 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:57 pm
It depends on how it happened, friend. Why are you asking this question of the forum? If you think it's a defect, which you seem to be implying, why not contact the manufacturer or dealer before going public with a rant? :roll:
I'm pretty sure this line were far from any sort of mechanical damage that would've cause this.

Our "dealer" is just a reseller of Estonian dealer, which is not my country, if you'd look at my info. Which means I would have serious issues trying to use my warranty. Would be much easier to give it to our local kite repair shops.

Why do I post it here? To break myths. Everyone praising this kite, but for some reason for me it happened to be not that great of a kite. Bad tuning from the bag and now this. Also in hope that FS representatives, that happen to read this topic, might take notes and prevent such problems in future iterations of the Soul.
These users thanked the author Kristan for the post:
sonny2727 (Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:49 am)
Rating: 3.03%

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:12 pm

Got me after 2 sessions a twisted Soul due to my lack of putting enough sand on the tip. Got me a similar line break. In the spare parts bag are 2 of those lines. Replace takes less then 5 minutes, mixertest done and ready to go. Kite is superb.
Cheers
These users thanked the author mr-markus for the post:
Kristan (Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:29 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:12 pm
Got me after 2 sessions a twisted Soul due to my lack of putting enough sand on the tip. Got me a similar line break. In the spare parts bag are 2 of those lines. Replace takes less then 5 minutes, mixertest done and ready to go. Kite is superb.
Cheers
Huh, you're right. I'll see if I could replace this line by myself. Thanks for the info.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:29 pm

Is that where a pulley rides on the mixer? If so, you may want to check the pulley to see if it is moving freely. Or check to see if there are any lines crossed which would cause this.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:08 am

The problem with Flysurfer kites lately is they are trying to use very high tensile strength lines but very thin lines to minimize turning drag. The problem with these lines is very poor abrasion resistance. The other problem in the US is the distributor for FS doesn't give a crap about customers. The kites perform well but are over-engineered & not durable at all. For the high cost of these kites they should do a whole lot more to retain loyalty.

Kristan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kristan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:45 am

I have a question. Have anyone tried to relaunch the kite right away after using the safety? I tried several times yesterday and it ended up in ties, with lines over the canopy. So if I eject on Soul is it game over or there is still a chance?

Asking cuz when I used safety on Pulse, which had 5th line, folding kite in half, I managed to relaunch it after reassembling the safety.

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:43 am

never tried it. Maybe on land its different.
Cheers

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Hello.

It is possible to damage the linecover like it happen here if the line is snapped at sharp object.
Upload a sharp picture of the line that makes it more easy to see details.
We use German Liros lines, the highes quality and best lines we can get for our demand.
For sure the SOUL is durable and performant. To replace a line is simple. To get long time durability, fabric airtightness and high breaking strengt is the cost important points. That is where we are very strong. Trimming of a SOUL is as simple and effective as it was at no foil kite before.

If anyone need direct help, he can contact us also always direct at https://flysurfer.com/repair/
We try our best to give every customer a good as possible service.

If Kristan really don't want the Soul, I am sure we will find a solution. Check with your dealer or with us direct. The 2nd Hand prices are also very high.

Greetings vom Capetown, Armin

Kristan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kristan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am

I'm not ready to give up on Soul just yet. It's a good kite in terms of performance and for now I have no substitute for it. Or I'd have to go for 14m LEI kite, but since most of my sessions are rather on snow, I'd stick to foil kites.

But let's face it, Soul needs quality improvement, especially for the price that is asked. For some reason I have not seen people complaining much about this kite... until I decided to pick on those problems, and appears that other folks have similar issues. How are you gonna make improvements if there is no proper feedback or critique? Rely on proriders? You don't make kites for proriders. You make it for ordinary people who wish to freeride without caring about anything. Just like with a brand new car, you just ride it and don't think about it.

People keep thinking that "European quality" is something amazing, high standards. Nope, the reality of life tells that it's not always true. When I bought my CrazyFly Sculp they had the bar with label "made in Europe". And I say that kite bar was a complete disaster. I have plenty of examples, ain't gonna list them all.

Maybe those Liros lines used to be good. But who knows, maybe they aren't as good now, maybe manufacturer switched to cheaper materials without telling anyone? Even if so I can't even imagine what kind of a sharp object could've done that damage to the line. It could've been some dense clump of snow with some icy edges. But... If that's is enough to break the coating on the line you should rethink the lines choice and pick something more robust.

Return to “Foil Kites”