tomtom wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 pm
I dont like Soul, But its one of most stable foil kite on market. Most others including Sonic and Sonic 2 are far less stable. All kites can overfly and collapse. Soul is inherently more stable than sonic - is lighter - so less momentum to overshoot you, is lower AR, and thicker profile all atributes to be more stable. Speculations about other things are completely meaningless so is making assumption from one guy swim and i did not. Is Soul more stable than competent LEI kite? In stronger gustier wind - I dont think so but its valid for all foil kites.
In general you are correct....there are so many variables here it makes it impossible to make definitive statements. IMPOSSIBLE :
- perception vs reality of wind strength (there are as many who brag about big wind as light wind exploits)
- steady wind vs lull and how much variation to the down side
- wind on the water vs aloft
- wing size
- kiter experience with foils and light wind
- techniques (even the best light wind kiters can get bitten by a super lull or a brain fart where you don't keep a kite moving at the wrong time)
- line lengths
- kite tune state (big factor)
- kite weight vs size in a model line (13 s2 vs 15 S2 vs 18 S2 for example)
My experiences (again totally subject to human perceptions...although I do have some measuring devices) My Soul specific experiences are just beginning and I have a 15m still in its factory packaging but I have hundreds of hours on the Speed 3's, Speed 5's, Sonic 2's and now Souls (mainly high wind on the Souls but some minimum viable wind on the 12m). I have switched completely to Souls 8, 10, 12, 15 and sold all the others for the simple reason that on average it is better at everything as a foil kite (that are important to me)
- in all cases line extension to 26m makes a massive difference in the low end of a kite range
- Big wing vs race wings allow much smaller kite ranges but you can still do very well sub 10 kts on race wings with the right kite combo
- Speed 5's are simply too heavy and don't work well on foil level winds
- Sonic 2 15m on extensions with constant attention performs quite well in legit 7-8 knots, lulling to 5 -6 and you are likely swimming. (I have a high end wind meter in a location I frequently launch)
- My sense has been that the 12m soul on extensions is almost equivalent to 15m sonic 2 but too early to say.
- The biggest I will go on Soul is 15m because I see little benefit to go to 18 on foil. Would go from race wing to 633 if its extremely light...mainly because you come up on the wing with any movement at all.
Just observations and experiences.