Weight: 78kg
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes , uk
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards ,souls , spd5s
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby slide » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:35 pm

i have found the mixer on the souls require checking quite a bit ,from new and fly like a bag of shit if out , but i love doing the fiddling anyway so its not a problem
i have a snapshackle on my wardrobe and connect to that , i check mine all together if i've flown them
Last edited by slide on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

SolarSet
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: Switchblades 10m,
XR6 8m & 11m
Soul 15m
NHP Split
Shinn Ronson

Postby SolarSet » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:04 am

There are advantages to Soul over LEI kite that might not everyone appreciate or care about. Yesterday had first ride on Soul 15m since October and during launch briadas on side got tangled to point that kite almost pulled me on bushes/trees at the beach, I carefully checked briadlas before launch, maybe I should inflate it more so it would start better from narrow beach but once in air I was only person jumping and going upwind. I can put up with this extra hassle for additional low wind range that have me riding when other people sit at beach, I don’t quite get why people ride small foil kites on TT but i didn’t get chance to try it so maybe there is something I’m missing here.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:16 pm

I prefer smaller foil kites on twintip vs inflatables for a couple big reasons. No pumps, super fast setup, superior hangtime, and massive surge when you kiteloop. With experience you can prevent tangles/problems before they happen and their range is immense.

I rarely mess with the bridles with my souls. My 6m has over 18 months on it without doing a thing(it is getting to the point though where I’ll do a tune up). I’ve never had a kite not fly perfectly out of the bag from the factory and I don’t need to worry about leaving my kite in a hot car or garage. They are more technical to fly and the learning curve is steeper but imo well worth the benefits in the end if you stick with it.

=Jason-

slide
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 78kg
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes , uk
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards ,souls , spd5s

Postby slide » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:51 pm

i'm beach bound saturday if everything stays the same, onshore, and i'm looking forward to flying my souls again its been ages and they are all spot on ,so it should be good

to be fair on the mixer test ., it was the 10 that was out the most out ,but they all were out from new , i might add my spd 5 9metre to my bag, as a speed flyer for several years , i couldn't resist getting a second hand one to add to my 15 -but it did need work , i removed a knot in the pink steering line and the mixer was miles out-i flew that at the beach about 4 weeks ago for the first time and the jumping ability straight away put a massive smile on my face ,and i know i will love that kite , so i'm thinking , spd5 15 metre bag , with soul 8,10, and spd5 9 in it , with my DX landboard , love that one , short wheel base and low, and just over 5kgs , great to flick about , and lean into a sliding start when the power comes in

saturday edit had a brilliant day today with the souls,10m,and 12m and then 10m again :jump:
sunday edit , i know it was a good session ,as my abbs ache this morning :D
Last edited by slide on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

lopor
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy 2015 11m, Catalyst 2014 9m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lopor » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:20 am

Hi, last year I purchased FS Soul 15m (which replaced my Speed 4 Lotus of the same size). My other kite is Ozone Catalyst 9m. As you can see there´s quite a gap in my kite range, however, it is kiteable. I am thinking of replacing the Catalyst with Soul 10m (if I get a second hand one for a reasonable price). Will I lose some top end compared to the Catalyst? I mean will I be able to kite in such strong winds that were kiteable with the Catalyst 9m? The main benefits I expect is shrinking the gap between my kites and being able to transport my kites in one bag. Thanks

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:25 am

lopor wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:20 am
Hi, last year I purchased FS Soul 15m (which replaced my Speed 4 Lotus of the same size). My other kite is Ozone Catalyst 9m. As you can see there´s quite a gap in my kite range, however, it is kiteable. I am thinking of replacing the Catalyst with Soul 10m (if I get a second hand one for a reasonable price). Will I lose some top end compared to the Catalyst? I mean will I be able to kite in such strong winds that were kiteable with the Catalyst 9m? The main benefits I expect is shrinking the gap between my kites and being able to transport my kites in one bag. Thanks
I roll with a 15 soul and an 8 soul, Im covered with 2 kites from 8knts to 40knts on a twin im 75kilos. I have not flown my 8m next to my buddies 9m, but if i did not get the 8m on a smokin deal I would rather roll with 15m and 9m souls, or 12m and 7m.
These users thanked the author RomeUtah for the post:
Gestalt (Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:48 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:15 am

lopor wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:20 am
I use to rock the Soul 8/15 quiver and had no problem on twintip. I could take my 15 out in 25 knots and never found the top end of my 8. On TT the 8 was my favorite size but I never tried the newer sizes 7/8. Depending on your weight, I’d do a 8/15 or 9/15. The 10 would be a little close for me but I like a reduced quiver.

lopor
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy 2015 11m, Catalyst 2014 9m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lopor » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:24 am

Thank you both. To be honest, I don´t need to cover winds about 32 knots plus (maybe even 30+), as I don´t ride in such conditions (an inland rider - stronger winds are not very often plus they are gusty plus I´m lame). I ride twin tip (135 cm), weighing about 82 kg. Based on this information, I suppose the 8m Soul has high end that I cannot utilize and I would probably miss some extra power that (kiting a bigger kite) would allow me to kite it at around 18 knots (conditions where there is wind of 18 knots gusting to 26 knots - I will not take my 15m Soul in that wind). So I have to decide between 9 and 10.

By the way: Aren´t we getting Soul V2 this year? :-)

sonny2727
Medium Poster
Gear: North, Ozone, Taaroa, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses

Postby sonny2727 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:07 am

lopor wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:24 am
Thank you both. To be honest, I don´t need to cover winds about 32 knots plus (maybe even 30+), as I don´t ride in such conditions (an inland rider - stronger winds are not very often plus they are gusty plus I´m lame). I ride twin tip (135 cm), weighing about 82 kg. Based on this information, I suppose the 8m Soul has high end that I cannot utilize and I would probably miss some extra power that (kiting a bigger kite) would allow me to kite it at around 18 knots (conditions where there is wind of 18 knots gusting to 26 knots - I will not take my 15m Soul in that wind). So I have to decide between 9 and 10.

By the way: Aren´t we getting Soul V2 this year? :-)
I'd go with 15m and 10M combo because I believe in having overlapping kites in most frequent wind range so you get to use both and if needs repair u have another that can somewhat compensate..prefer to spend money on 80% of wind range..
i have foil kites to cover 8-22 kts and LEI higher than that because any LEI will be fun when its 25kts...if i have more money to splash 8m Soul but currently Soul 15m, 11 sonic 3 and 10m R1V2 (got a cheap deal so don't mind having extra kite)..now I'm riding for Hydrofoil prefer higher AR kites but on TT Soul rocks

SolarSet
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: Switchblades 10m,
XR6 8m & 11m
Soul 15m
NHP Split
Shinn Ronson

Postby SolarSet » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 am

I would go for 10&15m as sonny2727 mentioned above it's better to have kites overlapping best winds/most frequent range 18-24kts rather than stretching range to max and being pissed of that for IMHO best wind range 18-24kts neither of kite is working well like 8/15m combo.
I'm interested to see what new Soul could bring table as there is no doubt that for traveling two foil kites will take as much room as one LEI not to mentioned the pump.

Return to “Foil Kites”