Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pulsion 18m

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pulsion 18m

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:14 pm

Yes Pulsion 18 has a very good lift and hang time, better than the 15 m and 12m; more speed as well ; overall a better L/D ratio, and far better than the peak; it also relaunches in about 5 knots if it falls properly in the water ;
In very light wind, I also preferably loop in the direction I want to go by pulling the rear line, but there is not a big diffence compared to no loop; making multiple loops is possible but quite tricky due to the size (you need a good balance to stay on the board while the board is sinking) ; you do not gain a lot with several loops, however it allows to be ready to fly very quickly as soon as there is a peak "gust" of 2 seconds during the waterstart trial.

I use 29m lines ; 25m is good if not seeking for marginal winds

PS: I know a guy in France selling one second hand but brand new (1 or 2 sessions only, not adapted to its surfing board, no hydrofoil) ; PM if interested
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:25 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:14 pm
Yes Pulsion 18 has a very good lift and hang time, better than the 15 m and 12m; more speed as well ; overall a better L/D ratio, and far better than the peak; it also relaunches in about 5 knots if it falls properly in the water ;
In very light wind, I also preferably loop in the direction I want to go by pulling the rear line, but there is not a big diffence compared to no loop; making multiple loops is possible but quite tricky due to the size (you need a good balance to stay on the board while the board is sinking) ; you do not gain a lot with several loops, however it allows to be ready to fly very quickly as soon as there is a peak "gust" of 2 seconds during the waterstart trial.

I use 29m lines ; 25m is good if not seeking for marginal winds

PS: I know a guy in France selling one second hand but brand new (1 or 2 sessions only, not adapted to its surfing board, no hydrofoil) ; PM if interested
Thanks but the one I have purchased has very low miles also. It is also being sold with the custom bar the kite maker sells. The winds are going to be in the low teens this weekend, so it may be used initially to TT with. I know I am a lot heavier than you but was curious to the highest winds you flew her in and felt comfortable and if you care to make any predictions of what the highest I would be safe with. I am 195KG. Also is there something unique about the Pulsion bar vs a stock 4 line Ozone bar?

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:48 am

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:07 pm
Tom, since you have both kites, does the Pulsion have much lift compared to the Peak which to me has very little lift? Have you spent much time trying different line lengths? Any advice to someone coming off of the Peak going to the Pulsion?
Pulsion has of course much better lift and hang time. Because it is my ultimate light wind weapon, I dont fly it on short lines, and 27m lines are the longest possible lines on my dificult home spots. As soon as there is more wind, I prefer smaller kites, because launching and packing is of course more complicated compared to small kites. I begin to feel slightly uncomfortablke from maybe 11 knots (foil and not experienced), but difficult to say. For you maybe 15 knots. To manage the Peak in high winds I have to fly it high, whereas the Pulsion I can fly low and to the egde of the wind window (as normal for high AR). The Peak just doesn't fly much to the very edge of the window where any kite looses power. - Tom
These users thanked the author Tomlutz for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:14 pm)

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 am

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:25 am
Also is there something unique about the Pulsion bar vs a stock 4 line Ozone bar?
I use a custom made bar, you can use any (preferable big!) stock 4 line bar with equal line lengths, and I am sure also the the Ozone Bar although I don't know it. - Tom
These users thanked the author Tomlutz for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:56 pm)

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm

My favourite bar to ride the Pulsions in light wind is the Gong 69 cm (it comes with 27 m lines plus optional 5 m extensions). I know most kiters perfer shorter bars, but for light wind KBH I find this set up works. The only downside with the Gong bar is the center line swivel is hard to use.
Attachments
GongBar69cm.jpg
GongBar69cm.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
These users thanked the author irwe for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:36 pm

I use a 65 cm superlight simple bar for my 15 m2 Pulsion - works excellent :thumb:

30 m lines 0.6/0.8 mm so low drag.
Most often 4 x 0.8 mm though, so I don't risk snapping a rear line when turning hard.

Relatively thin a bit longer leaderlines up so the leaderlines will cross when looped, instead of the superthin lines - to avoid wear on these.

I know an UL kite higher span/AR faster profile same size can start a tad earlier, but the Pulsion is super easy and stable and turns okay, compared, no overflying or bowtie tricks or anything, like it a lot.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 pm)

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 am

Peter,
You may find that poly sleeved line will eat away at your bar hole faster than plain dyneema. I use a similar KISS setup but with plain 1/4in Amsteel spliced inside itself the whole length with good results and slow wear.

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Sarasota Florida.
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:01 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:36 pm
I know an UL kite higher span/AR faster profile same size can start a tad earlier, but the Pulsion is super easy and stable and turns okay, compared, no overflying or bow tie tricks or anything, like it a lot.
Thanks for the information Peter. So is it your opinion, other than the type of kite you mentioned above, that the Pulsion is the best performing kite for riding in super low wind for the average Joe? Or Joe and a half in my case being 100KG? :D

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Sarasota Florida.
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:09 am

So, I am sure eventually something will tear or break on the 18M. How is the service for these kites? They appear to be a small company, which if they are like Board riding Maui, who I rode exclusively for 4 years, was great. Greg @ BRM was very attentive at answering emails and getting parts shipped out. I guess I worry about the durability of the UL cloth and all the attachment points and if something should happen how they are about fixing things and not being crazy expensive. Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:10 am

Jyoder wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 am
Peter,
You may find that poly sleeved line will eat away at your bar hole faster than plain dyneema. I use a similar KISS setup but with plain 1/4in Amsteel spliced inside itself the whole length with good results and slow wear.
+1 I also like using 4mm or 5 mm dyneema, spliced in itself for the whole length. You know its time to change it when you can see the inside line, but then still have all the necessary strength left in that protected inside line. Typically gets changed around once a year. and don't see much wear on the bars.

Return to “Foil Kites”