Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pulsion 18m

For all foil kite riders
gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pulsion 18m

Postby gl » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:20 am

I cannot talk to the cost of repairs as I've never had one of Concept Air's kites needing a repair. I bought my first kite from Ben in 1999 and I purchased many since then including a couple last year. I have always been very happy with the service and quality of products. I did need a bridle adjustment on my 3M wave kite. It was done quickly and I had the kite back in less than 2 weeks.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:41 am

PrfctChaos wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:10 am
Jyoder wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:09 am
Peter,
You may find that poly sleeved line will eat away at your bar hole faster than plain dyneema. I use a similar KISS setup but with plain 1/4in Amsteel spliced inside itself the whole length with good results and slow wear.
+1 I also like using 4mm or 5 mm dyneema, spliced in itself for the whole length. You know its time to change it when you can see the inside line, but then still have all the necessary strength left in that protected inside line. Typically gets changed around once a year. and don't see much wear on the bars.

Thanks - I know that from other and earlier bars yes, the center carbon hole will wear out (get bigger) over time.

I use the polyester coated dyneema now in I think it is 3 or 4 mm (most likely 4), believe it is the Liros Magic Edge, cause size and strength is spot on, and it sits perfect in the cleats, and wear out really slow, the coating.

But might see if I can find a clean non sleeved dyneema in 4 mm, and if it fits in the 828 cleat I believe most of us use as plug and play and small and strong:

Earlier we used 826 cleats - WAAAAY overkill and too big :wink:

8) Peter

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am

Can anyone give me any information/feedback on the bar that concept air sells for the Pulsion 18M? It came with the Pulsion 18M that I purchased yesterday from the original owner. The bar and kite both looked brand new, but a line snapped on the bar 10 minutes into using it during a small boost. The previous owner said he had only used it 5-6 times, and it looked new. The Pulsion then came down, a did a 180 degree pirouette on the ground before I ejected. Upon inspection, 9 attachment points on the trailing edge tore away. Now I am a little worried about its robustness. I have sent it to Ben to repair. Thoughts/comments/suggestions? I loved the kite for the 10 minutes I was able to fly it. I am 100KG and it was blowing 12-14 knots.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Kitedougiefresh wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 am
Can anyone give me any information/feedback on the bar that concept air sells for the Pulsion 18M? It came with the Pulsion 18M that I purchased yesterday from the original owner. The bar and kite both looked brand new, but a line snapped on the bar 10 minutes into using it during a small boost. The previous owner said he had only used it 5-6 times, and it looked new. The Pulsion then came down, a did a 180 degree pirouette on the ground before I ejected. Upon inspection, 9 attachment points on the trailing edge tore away. Now I am a little worried about its robustness. I have sent it to Ben to repair. Thoughts/comments/suggestions? I loved the kite for the 10 minutes I was able to fly it. I am 100KG and it was blowing 12-14 knots.

Snapped on the bar???

Assume it a rear line, either cut because of wear (or design), or the knot or whatever which has let go.

Show a picture of the issue, impossible to answer, and should be easy to see the issue, even if we dont have this specific bar.
And if no picture, in detail where and how it snapped please.

There are no bar's available on ConceptAir's website, besides a couple of handles, but could be a mistake.

8) Peter

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:09 am

Pulsions are sensitive to impacts on the ground... ;-(

The highest wind i rode the 18m on hydrofoil is 13 knots, 29m lines , 60kg. But i like having power even on a hydrofoil.
But its sweet spot to me is rather 6-10knots. Above 10 knots,it is not dangerous (10 knots is still low wind, TT hardly ride !) But you need to adapt your ride (no loops, gentle moves, avoid transvers rides). I switch to my pulsion 15m in about 8 knots. And to my elf joker 11m in about 10 knots.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Sarasota Florida.
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:09 am
Pulsions are sensitive to impacts on the ground... ;-(
I was hoping you could elaborate on that statement. I was thinking the Pirouette might have torn the attachment points away on the trailing edge, but now I am wondering if it may have happened when she crashed?

So do I need to change my thinking on landing her after she is fixed? With my Peak 13M, I just pulled the steering lines in and kept them in until she came to the ground.

What is the best way to launch and land the Pulsion?

Would it be fair to say that because of her size and the use of the UL cloth, that I need to treat her with as much respect as I can to minimize future repairs and to only use her for winds under 10 if I am foiling?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:36 pm

Any kite with light Cloth has to be treated with care, like:

- avoid violent crashes of the leading edge directly on the water : Risk here is breaking the inter-cell cloth ; it never happened on my kites but I heard some feedback on this point . Concept'air does the repair of course or any foil kite repair shop. My 2 cents advice : if kite flies to the ground, do not sheet-out (as it will accelerate the kite); sheet-in the max you can before crash or even better pull one preline to make it turn around one tip (this can avoid the crash or at least slowdown a lot and make one tip touch the water first and not all the leading edge at the same time with is when the internal pressure drops the most) ;

- avoid ripping the kite on agressive ground like rocks; however you can repair little holes with blendern medical tape (which even with a lot or repair, will still be far lighter than a normal cloth)

- avoid too much UV light by exposing the kite to the sun only when you use it

- avoid wet cloth stored in a warm car for a long time

Lqnding : for any foul kite you need to be more careful thant with the indestructible peak ... You can land the Pulsion like you do with the peak by pulling the two rear prelines ; - normal method works well (= finding the correct pull stroke to land gently the kite to the ground, and releasing a bit the pool before it touches the ground)
- but the Pulsion allows something else: pull the prelines very frankly from the zenith , the max you can , wait , it will fall down, and be confident .... because at about 10 meter from the ground, the trailing edge will fold in two and this will slowdown the kite at a suitable speed without changing your preline pull up to the ground :-)
Kitedougiefresh (Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:11 pm)

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Sarasota Florida.
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:15 pm

Regis,

Thanks for the advice. You are right, I have to change my thinking after flying Peaks.

I always hot launch my Peaks. What is your recommend launch method for the Pulsion?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:25 pm

you're welcome ; hot launch is perfect ; pull on rear lines to keep the kite 20 degree lower than the zenith to expedite the filling of air and avoid the kite to fly too rapidly up to the full zenith while still not full of air ; Pulsion is very very easy to hot launch and stable even if not full of air ; the 18m is a bit longer to fill with air compared to 15 and 12m, but still in the normal range; I quite never use the 45 degree launching with the pulsion;

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:50 pm

Another very light wind session where my friends foilers were stuck on the beach...

I forgot my 1200cm2 at home so used the ketos freeride2 (700cm2). Works well but more technical in those winds.
Kitedougiefresh (Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:02 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”