Flysurfer Speed5 9m

Nobile split board L
Flydoor XL
Liquid Force Comp 137
Slingshot vSurf foil & Simulator foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer-specific training?

Postby Gyre » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Does anyone know of courses, camps, instructors specific to Flysurfer kites, preferably in North America or the Caribbean? We have plenty of local instructors on tube kites, but I feel that some of the things I want to improve on (eg, optimizing light and gusty winds) need someone who's an expert on big foil kites. Kind of plateau'd at the intermediate level and having a hard time progressing beyond that.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: Flysurfer-specific training?

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 pm

It's a good question, Gyre. I don't know of any, but I'll be interested in hearing responses from others. Considering the economics, I'm guessing that (1) there isn't enough consumer demand for big foil kite instruction (esp. in N. America) and (2) the cost of equipment to teach on foils is a major deterrent for schools & instructors. If you have your own kite, your best bet may be to find an experienced individual who would be willing to give you pointers using your own equipment. Good luck.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:52 pm

Foil kites exist in all sizes. It's a misconception to think they exist only in big sizes.
There a new generation of foils that are not more expensive than LEIs, and that includes extremely easy to handle (and relaunch) kites that are aimed at beginners (e.g. Flysurfer Viron).
When you count the hours spent on repairing bloody bladders (from what I've seen in tropical areas, a decent sized kite school employs practically one guy full time just for LEI repairs), foil kites turn out to be better value for schools, regardless of their purchase price.
FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 pm
It's a good question, Gyre. I don't know of any, but I'll be interested in hearing responses from others. Considering the economics, I'm guessing that (1) there isn't enough consumer demand for big foil kite instruction (esp. in N. America) and (2) the cost of equipment to teach on foils is a major deterrent for schools & instructors. If you have your own kite, your best bet may be to find an experienced individual who would be willing to give you pointers using your own equipment. Good luck.

Gyre
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed4 21m
Flysurfer Soul 15m
Flysurfer Speed3 12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12m
Flysurfer Speed5 9m

Nobile split board L
Flydoor XL
Liquid Force Comp 137

Postby Gyre » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:18 pm

FLandOBX's answer was valid and appreciated, I specifically mentioned big foils in my question.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Gyre,

I think it is an excellent question. In my hometown, there are only a few other kiters willing to fly large foil kites on the water (more are willing on the snow because pumping in the winter sucks twice as much). If you are willing to travel, I am sure that you could find people that are willing to share their experience with you. When I think of light wind, San Diego Or LA are the first places that come to mind, but big foils are used all over the country.

Do you mind if I ask specifically what information you hope to learn?

Gyre
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed4 21m
Flysurfer Soul 15m
Flysurfer Speed3 12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12m
Flysurfer Speed5 9m

Nobile split board L
Flydoor XL
Liquid Force Comp 137

Postby Gyre » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:40 am

fernmanus: I think I'm the only one in town here with a 21m and several times I've also been the only person having a solid session on the water (though foil boards are cutting into that! ;) But my low end just doesn't feel low enough -- when it's blowing around 10 kts I know there should be power, but I'm doing something inefficient, and I just can't see what it is. Or, a couple more knots than that, and guys on 15m tubes will be beating me -- nothing against tube kites and I'm not competing, but the math on that just seems wrong.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 am

I think it would help build the foil kite brands to have demo centers and local shop representation for their kites big and small.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:44 am

Gyre,

There are a few issues worth examining:

1. You may know this already, but it is worth repeating - the board is even more important than the kite for lightwind riding. So, if you don’t have a monster lightwind board, I suggest buying one. I always carry a big flat, 164 cm board in my cargo box for the lightest days. it makes all the difference on the lightest days staying upwind and moving fast across the water.

2. Body weight plays a big difference. Even 10 LBS can be the difference in a kite size. I was 168 a couple years ago and a 21m was too much, today I weigh 180 and I use my 21 all the time.

3. Do a mixer test on your kite to make sure the kite is in proper trim.

You should be jumping and ripping upwind while guys your size are “mowing the lawn” on a 15m. That really is the joy of the 21.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:47 am

Light wind kite flying is much about kite skill first and equipment second. Strong looping skills both back loops and front loops are required irrespective if what kite you fly.

1. Where are you?
2. Reach out and find a local foil kiter who is on the racing circuit. They are a great foil kite training resource.
3. The Speed 4 21M you have listed in your equipment may be just old and now porous. Test drive a newer foil kite like the Soul.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm

How’s the kites behavior? Does it back stall? Have you done a bar line test? I would do a mixer test first. Is this the Lotus Speed 4? I’d check to see if an internal brace strap has broken. You can do this by looking through the kite. There is a huge performance gain between the Speed 4 and Speed 5.

Return to “Foil Kites”