Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitech FRS

For all foil kite riders
geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitech FRS

Postby geokite » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:37 pm

I fly my 6m FRS anytime the wind is 15mph, with lulls not below about 12mph. Really fun kite, very stable, not super fast (but fast enough for the foil). My favorite kite to fly. Usually 21m lines, but 17m work fine if the lulls are not too light.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 am

? haha

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Yes, it's s really good kite. My new favorite. Fast turning, but predictable. Great power delivery through sheeting range. Stable and drifts extremely well. Better than Hyperlink in some ways, more agile. I used it on 20m lines. Low end is impressive. Was up 14- 20 knots and had a lot of depower left.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:35 pm

And when i told ya...

Anyway - try also Peak. Its different better in some way and worse than in some way. But you need to experience it. I have FRS and Peaks.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
TomW (Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:51 am

geokite wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:37 pm
I fly my 6m FRS anytime the wind is 15mph, with lulls not below about 12mph. Really fun kite, very stable, not super fast (but fast enough for the foil). My favorite kite to fly. Usually 21m lines, but 17m work fine if the lulls are not too light.

When you say not superfast, do you mean not fast turning or not fast flying (less peak power)?

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:38 am

They tame smaller sizes - its still fast enough but not super fast. Closer cell in smaller sizes can be super fast in forward flying speed due to aerodynamic efficiency. Its best handling closed cell kite. Still you dont have that inertia less you have with peaks. But the smaller the size the less it matter.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:19 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:38 am
They tame smaller sizes - its still fast enough but not super fast. Closer cell in smaller sizes can be super fast in forward flying speed due to aerodynamic efficiency. Its best handling closed cell kite. Still you dont have that inertia less you have with peaks. But the smaller the size the less it matter.

Who are "They"???

FRS or?

I dont think this is true, and again, it depends on whether we talk flying speed or turning speed/radius.
Flying speed is to some point a matter of kite design, how draggy it is, or not - but even higher drag kites, accelerate fast when you are down in small sizes, as the absolute drag is small combined with almost no inertia.

Sheeting distance also matters, as very short on small sizes, usually, so you will get a very "fast" felt turning speed on most kites below 5-6 m2 in size, simply because of this short sheeting distance, and foil kites in particular can turn on a dime now.

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:16 pm

FRS company - actually it is one designer Attila. Slower compared to how fast they can make it - of course they are much faster than FRS in bigger sizes.
I dont know what we disagree at.

I was answering your question - When you say not superfast, do you mean not fast turning or not fast flying (less peak power)?
So both - they make it purposely more tamed.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Considering the wind it is flown in, the forward speed and turning speed is tame. Still turns tight due to it's size, but you don't have to have any higher reflexes to handle it in higher winds. Kites that fly like this are rare I have found in 32 years of kiting.

I'll take a picture of it inflated on the beach next time I fly it, and so the same for a 9m and a 12 m. I was amazed how thick the kite is. I had a 6m PL Nova for a brief moment; it looked like it was designed to be super fast (except for the aspect ratio). Very thin profile, lots of ribs. This is almost the opposite of that in mentality. So glad I sold that Nova...

I think I was one of the first to order the 6m FRS. During communication with Attila, he stated his original design needed changes due to it's speed. He knows what he is doing, what is needed for high wind kites. That is why I have a 4m FRS on order. I'm dreaming of summer road trips through the central valley of Cali will all the kites in the roof top box, no worries of heat damage...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 pm

I think that's the right way to put it. Its been tamed. It Flys in controlled fashion in the wind its designed for. It doesn't zoom thru the wind window too fast, and doesn't require Supreme timing to hit the power peak before it Lulls at window edge.
It doesn't do radical loop with a little pull on the bar.

I know its not a fair comparison but my 4,5 concept air wave is difficult to handle, its so fast through the power zone and will kite loop if I'm not careful. I'd prefer that kite to be tamer. I use the CA Wave on 23m lines.

Still have to use the frs6 in higher winds to get a feeling for its behavior.

Return to “Foil Kites”