Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fly surfer soul wind range

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:55 am

foilholio wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:00 am
Is that an Aurora 1? The funalex mod is very good on it, though requires a lot of time to implement. Flysurfers have good depower. A15 depower is a bit less but I find the wind range fine, relaunch very easy and is good for surf. If you are sold on a Soul it looks a great kite. I love flysurfer just wish they sold direct with much cheaper prices.
You need a better dealer. I get my kites below list price.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:57 pm

I could definitely get Flysurfers much cheaper, not as cheap as Pansh, other brands can get close to factory prices. Hassle is not really worth it. Not a good way to grow the sport making beginners pay the most. Creates a barrier to the sport.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 am

It’s a Pansh Aurora 2, flys well. My race foil takes me a fair way off shore so relaunch is critical. Just seems from the chat that the Soul is the kite that has the best chance of relaunch in iffy conditions due to better sealing and higher internal pressure. The Aurora works fine, but the bridle is quite long and with a lower internal pressure it is prone to getting tip wraps if it swims for too long.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Yes airtightness is definitely flysurfer's forte. Pansh does repel water like lotus. Surprised the windrange on Aurora 2 is not good? I find the A15 fine but not quite as much as a flysurfer. I am sure the Soul will impress you.

Going far offshore, you should want to learn to untangle kites on the water, oh and wear flotation.

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush

Postby Jukka » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Any views about Soul 18m vs. 17m LEI?

I have Peter Lynn Fury 17m, which is a relatively high AR/ big air/ freeride/ race kite.
I use it with 147x44 twintip and Airush Sector 60 free-race directional. My weight is 93 kg (205 lbs).

The Sector goes in so light wind that keeping the kite in air can become an issue. And in such light wind the 5-strut LEI does not function well anymore due to its weight.

If I'd switch to Soul 18, how would you estimate:
- low end gains, in power and useability?
- high end, would Soul 18 be sooner over powered?
- and very important aspect, low-wind jumping in comparison?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:01 pm

So far I've not seen any LEI to match low wind foil performance. With Speed4 15m kite I could ride when 16-19m LEI do not take much steering input nor produce power. Nitro3, Rebel, Turbine, Xr1, Airush no-strut 18m2, Cloud 17, Juice 16, Dyno 18 .... I can name it all and probably PL would join the club. I weight 15kg more than you.

I own 15m2 sonic2 as main lw kite but last weekend at Yyteri I was able to test 18m2 Soul. My impression was that it was easy to ride ie milk power compared to Sonic2. Low wind twin tip riding was easy and it did jump some. Very interesting kite and I could imagine owning Soul-series but again maybe 15m2 is the largest I'd need.

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush

Postby Jukka » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks for the comment joriws. That is another point I've been considering, if Soul 15 is enough as the largest kite... ...would maybe also fit better in my idea of next complete setup with LEIs up to 12m and then 15m Soul.

indysurfer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: hefty
Local Beach: Lake Travis
Style: dork
Gear: TT, Surf,Foil, Wingfoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby indysurfer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Got the 12m Soul now too (in addition to 15M) and it has made my 14 LEIs, and maybe even my 12s obsolete because of its range. At 110k I now fly the Soul 12 when other guys are on their 12/14 + LEIs. The extra hang time has helped my jumps dramatically.

In an earlier post I mentioned that the 15m soul would take off after many long minutes on the water, but I should have stated EVEN after many minutes on the water due to pushing the low end wind limits, holes, and my inexperience. Most of the time the Soul takes of in an instant, and turns waters starts into jump starts! Way fun. Beats waiting to get a puff to get an LEI into position (and longer to get airborne) almost anytime.

With my Sector and Foil, I do not need/want anything bigger than the 15 Soul, even at my size. Using the 15 on a twintip is a blast too. So much fun that I am spending less time foiling, even though I initially got them to foil more. The extra power more than makes up for any perceived "loss" of turning speed. It just takes a session or so to anticipate things more in advance and then you don't have to turn the kite nearly as quickly anyway. Just remember not to sheet in when looping for power and it will get you going in less wind (with less kite) than I had ever imagined - short of the Sonic 2, which I may not ever progress too because the Soul is so friendly, too.

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 pm

So I bought a 12m.

I tried it for the first time yesterday. My OR flite 10m was falling out of the sky and I thought perfect time to ease into the foil. Having never tried one before I was a little apprehensive. Shouldn’t have been. I was out in Hatteras sound for about 3 hours on a mako king. Wind started very low and increased to 24 knots. Amazing kite, amazing depower.
Landing and wrapping up was a knotty disaster but that’s me.
Thanks again for all the information.

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:19 pm

I went out on my new 15m soul yesterday first outing out. Here is my initial thoughts. Was shitting myself about the launch. One of the bridles got twisted inside the others when the kite blew over whilst laid out in the beach setting up. Not being familiar with the bridle Took me about an hour to work it out. Was still a bit worried I might of got it wrong and there was no one to launch. Just thought sod it in the end will have to self launch. So tried it hand ready to safety. It formed half a kite shape with wing tips folded. Made sure I kept the kite low. It sat to the side of the window no worries. Eased up to zenith slowly and it went up like an Lei. Think I had to take about three very slow steps forward as hit 12 and released Bar while doing so. But then pulled the bar in and the wing tips filled and took shape. And then was just like an Lei. Loads of power on top and loads of lift if wanted! It was such good fun. I put the kite on the middle knot my ozone lines. It was slightly slow but then it is 15m kite and on the 50cm bar. I think the speed will be better on the third knot same as my lei’s are. Will tighten it up next time. Think that will increase the speed a bit. Will also get a 55cm Bar made up when can afford some new lines for my one in the garage. First jump was bit scary. Well high! Brings you down well slow though especially if you push the bar out. First back loop shot around 3 times and plonked in. Hard to land once you start spinning you just spin. Landed a double one later on realising you have to physically push the bar upwards and out to stop spinning. Never done a double roll properly like that before. Did first one footer board offs. Down looped like you do in transitions off the front hand. Jesus! Tried one. Shot me down Wind about half a mile like a rocket. So fast. Out ran the kite by miles and it fell out the sky. May take some adjusting too! Relaunch is well easy though. Back loops opposite to Lei. Dark slides awesome. Did some without loops but when I did loop it’s kind of opposite to Lei. Back loop doesn’t produce a huge pull like Lei. Just a gentle ping off the water which is really good.
At one point every ones Kites fell out sky when Wind dropped. Only mine and another FLYSURFER regulars that didn’t he was on a 12 though and couldn’t go and nor could I on my flyradical board. Switched to door and was off like a rocket again. 🙂 next to no wind at all. So efficient. That flyradical 5 board which I also just bought is awesome, fast, efficient and comfy through the crud. Happy days.
Had a great day. 🙂

Return to “Foil Kites”