Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chrono V3 Vs Flysurfer Soul

For all foil kite riders
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Chrono V3 Vs Flysurfer Soul.

Postby fernmanus » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:52 pm

I bought a Chrono 1 and Chrono 2 kites. My biggest complaint with both of those kites was lack of wind range and lack of stability. My Sonic 1 and 2 were much more similar when it comes to stability and still had much better wind range than the respective Chrono 1 & 2. The stability and wind range of the Soul is light years ahead of the Chrono 1 & 2.

I will give the Chrono 3 a demo, but I am not going to go out there and buy one like I did in the past with Chrono 1 & 2 because frankly the Chrono 1 was not as good as the Sonic 1, the Chrono 2 was not as good as the Sonic 2. Tell me is the Chrono 3 better than the Soul when it comes to stability and wind range??? Cause, I can't see it unless that kite made a major leap compared to the Chrono 2. The kind of leap that we saw between the Speed 5 and the Soul.

Clearly, I am not a FS fanboy, I like the best performing foil kites and I am willing to buy models from Ozone and Flysurfer, but I have to say that I was not that impressed with the Chrono 1 & 2, not impressed with the Hyperlink either. The Edge v9, now that is an impressive kite!!!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:33 pm

I'm quite happy with my Chrono V3 13.

Having flown both Chrono and Soul, my bias is that Soul have faster turning especially depowered and more increased lift on sheeting the bar which are both very nice for jumping.

Soul is very slightly lower in weight than Chrono in regular cloth. (Soul published numbers vs my weight of Chrono on scale)

I like FS mixers better than Ozone due to adjustability and easily replaced SPL.

However I think the Chrono's double braid bridle all the way to the kite is going to offer better longevity and easier management on the beach if at the cost of some drag performance. I believe my ability to body drag out to deep water due to kite stability is superior with Chrono and I'm often foiling when our local Soul guys are not.

Ultimately my decision to go with the Chrono was based on the fact that I can walk into our local shop and buy one on a light wind day.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:38 am

I am very happy with my decision to go for the V3 ultralight cloth Chrono, my decision took over a year of soaking up the information about the 3 main contenders to suit my locations,ability, and sailing style preference, having used foils off and on for many years (more off) i was never convinced they were a good choice for Ttips and had many negative experiences at that time.
The hyperlink in 9mtr standard cloth was fun to use whilst i was still learning to foilboard (6 months in) but faded to dull very quickly as my lei reos were just so much more fun, sold the 9mtr,and after after trying the 12, which was for me was extremely dull and left me with a why bother feeling.

a sailing buddy was using the chrono v2 standard cloth and swapped one of his 3 kites to Ulight V3, he kept banging on about how different they were to his V2 std cloth chrono kites, after 6 months he had changed out his 3 chrono kites to V3 ULights, and I was impressed with everything I could see about the kites, but still not convinced I wanted to go back to the dark side of foil kites.

my trip to Lake como did re-light my interest in foil kites as there were many many Souls in use there, mostly 12s with the odd 10 and 8,
I spent some time with the soul rep there who had all the sizes on free demo and after a few days with him I was really thinking i might jump in and buy a new 12 soul.
But held off as this was a massive lake with ideal foil kite conditions, my home spot in the uk is so different so convincing me was not easy.

What finally did convince me was using the V3 Ulight chrono on home ground in conditions just right for a 15mtr chrono ULight, next to no wind and me nervously taking up the offer to use it for the day, would I drop it? hate it, tangle the bridle, get pulled around in the gusts, not be able to loop it into turns?
Well, a few days later i bought a new 13mtr chrono ULight, and have used it nearly every day for a month, but after borrowing my buddies 15mtr a few more times then I have ordered a 15mtr as well, they do feel so different, in a good way, the 13 has so much range, the 15 has less so, but feels so so good in its low wind range, effortless to use, stability is awesome, upwind is locked it fast,solid, and a few deg higher than my 13mtr which was being used by my buddy whilst I was on his 15mtr(again)
i never dreamed I would want both the 13 and 15 but I was wrong, both have their place, even though the 13mtr will be the go to kite most of the time.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:22 am

The Sonic 2 is in bigger sizes (12 -> 18) for skilled foils riders (mainly because of the opening of the ears while launching) a very good option compared to the SOUL. The Sonic gives you more performance. The SOUL is easy to used and to launch.

Here a Video, how you can exactly power up the Soul to perfection (Z 4cm shorter than A).
This is independent, if it is new or old. The SOUL with a new Bar comes from itself to that perfect setup after 3-20h or use.

Cheers, Armin

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am

13m Chrono V3 Ultralight is here... Just need some free time and wind to give it it's first flight! :D
SmartSelect_20190911-103246_Messenger.jpg

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am
13m Chrono V3 Ultralight is here... Just need some free time and wind to give it it's first flight! :D
Would you consider to weigh it in grams before unrolling it getting it wet or sandy?

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 pm
dave1986 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am
Would you consider to weigh it in grams before unrolling it getting it wet or sandy?
No problem. I'll weigh it and let you know :thumb:

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 am
^^^i agree each size Soul is very different. Also turning speed depends on how you have your lines setup. Remember the Soul likes 2cm shorter steering lines.

The Soul is a grunty, high performing foil and it matches my style fantastically. I love looping my 8m while others really dislike the surge it produces. To me this allows you to rig smaller on the hf and I use it during frequently on transitions.

I’ve hit 19 meters on my 15m and this was with a 50cm bar. You do have to be more aggressive on the bar compared to a Sonic but it’s just something to adapt to.

Have a new 10m waiting for me at home. Can’t wait to see how that size flies. I think the best feature of these Souls is they are great for me on BOTH a twintip and hydrofoil. 90% of my kiting is while traveling and having such a diverse kite is golden.
hi , where could I get some advice , i'm coming back from a cancer battle and have flown since 2003 landboarding , and was told I could apply to drive ,back in December , but i'm still waiting to hear , but I have got myself a little van and I wanted a set of new flysurfers , for when I can go to the beach , so I got a 15 spd5 brand new kite only and have since brought 6 , 8 , 10 , and a 12 soul with bar and lines - but for the spd5 15 , i'm using an old 600mm flysurfer bar , and I brought 21 metre lines and 3 metre extensions , but could I get some help and advice on the spd5 15metre, bar setup , I always thought when fully depowered the outside lines and the middle lines should all line up before attaching the flying lines , but I have noticed on the infinity bars , the outside lines are longer when fully depowered -I hope that makes sense , plz can some one help me on the bar dimensions , should the outside lines be longer than the middle lines , and by how much , and or who could I contact at flysurfer to help me out here, I want to get back into landboarding with my new flysurfers safely , I phoned DLVA yesterday and they said I should have my driving licence soon , and I can't wait , any help very much appreciated here , as i'm not sure how to set the bar up on my 15metre

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:09 pm

slide wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 am
^^^i agree each size Soul is very different. Also turning speed depends on how you have your lines setup. Remember the Soul likes 2cm shorter steering lines.

The Soul is a grunty, high performing foil and it matches my style fantastically. I love looping my 8m while others really dislike the surge it produces. To me this allows you to rig smaller on the hf and I use it during frequently on transitions.

I’ve hit 19 meters on my 15m and this was with a 50cm bar. You do have to be more aggressive on the bar compared to a Sonic but it’s just something to adapt to.

Have a new 10m waiting for me at home. Can’t wait to see how that size flies. I think the best feature of these Souls is they are great for me on BOTH a twintip and hydrofoil. 90% of my kiting is while traveling and having such a diverse kite is golden.
hi , where could I get some advice , i'm coming back from a cancer battle and have flown since 2003 landboarding , and was told I could apply to drive ,back in December , but i'm still waiting to hear , but I have got myself a little van and I wanted a set of new flysurfers , for when I can go to the beach , so I got a 15 spd5 brand new kite only and have since brought 6 , 8 , 10 , and a 12 soul with bar and lines - but for the spd5 15 , i'm using an old 600mm flysurfer bar , and I brought 21 metre lines and 3 metre extensions , but could I get some help and advice on the spd5 15metre, bar setup , I always thought when fully depowered the outside lines and the middle lines should all line up before attaching the flying lines , but I have noticed on the infinity bars , the outside lines are longer when fully depowered -I hope that makes sense , plz can some one help me on the bar dimensions , should the outside lines be longer than the middle lines , and by how much , and or who could I contact at flysurfer to help me out here, I want to get back into landboarding with my new flysurfers safely , I phoned DLVA yesterday and they said I should have my driving licence soon , and I can't wait , any help very much appreciated here , as i'm not sure how to set the bar up on my 15metre
Basically while trimmed for full power, all flying lines should be equal. See this video:

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 pm

is this correct - adjuster trimmed for full power , depower fully powered, and the 2 outside lines on the bar and the 2 middle lines should all line up , I know my brand new flying lines are the same , I could do the test with the flying lines included when i'm at the beach ,but I don't have the room here, and the depower length should be 500mm on all these kites to do the test properly , is that right ?

Return to “Foil Kites”