Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 am

ok, that is a really interesting comment; that is true that I have in mind Peak 1 and 2, which was stable (among main standard double skins), but where fronstalls in lulls where in the end more frequent than the last CA I use ; maybe it is improved on peak v4 (even not bad on v1 and 2) ; What I was disliking the most is the loss of single kite structure when the winds is loo low or too turbulent, and then when it lays on the snow, forcing to unhook and go to the kite to put it in relaunch position; thanks for your comparision with FRS which is indeed not the best stab but not bad overall;

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:29 am

To put thing in perspective. I dont think Single skins are good light wind kites /eventhough they hang in the air at 3 knts/ They lack ability to generate apparent wind which is imo essential for fun in LW. But this lack of sudden power strokes are very handy in mid to strong winds where you dont need them and they are unwelcome. 5 is my biggest peak and use FRS when lighter. But that not for stability reason but for power generation reason.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 am

I have a Soul 10m which is good at generating speed on light days, but I like a drifty and less powered looping wave kite when it's windy. I like carving around on swell without being pulled the whole time. Does the fluttering make it tiresome, is it as easy/fun for freeride as a cloud?

It sounds like a peak 4 would be about as stable as I can get for my flukey rock seawall launch site (usually it's only used by windsurfers).

Relaunch in ocean swell might be a bit much to ask of it. I usually keep the kite in the air anyway.

In terms of size, I use a Drifter 8m and 5.5m most of the time. Is the peak 4m going to power somewhere in the middle?

jjjlaudenslager
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none any more
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: kitesurfing
Gear: Naish Ride 8m
many various boards

Postby jjjlaudenslager » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:02 pm

My Peak4 better gust muncher than my Clouds for sure. Also a little more resistant to back stall if pull bar back too far too long. I find the little fluttering not tiresome. My 5m Peak4 substitutes well for my 6m and 8m Cloud Ds, so I recommend 5m Peak4 for jatem.
These users thanked the author jjjlaudenslager for the post:
jatem (Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:14 pm

I never flown cloud so i dont know. I have North Neo 7 which i was using before Peaks. Peak 4 5m is similar in power than Neo 7 /Neos are very powerfull kites/ . 5m Peak turns quicker. Its more stable on zenith. Peaks is less powered in turns than Neo. Neos is better for powered waveriding turns - Peak is better for drifting mellow powered turns. While in straight fly Neos due to structure you feel more stable pull in sudden wind holes. Its heavy and very rigid kite and it just keep its momentum. Peak has no momentum and its keep in shape just by pressure. So you feel holes more. In gusts they are both excelent - Peak has even more absolute depower if needed. Please keep in mind than i dont fly peaks on HF yet /im talking from snowboarding perspective/ But im talking about mountain terain where you can go downhill towards kite so drift is extremely important here. I going to Fuerte next week to HF and im hoping for some HF wave riding.

Soul is completely wrong kite for this - you cannot control power while it fly to oposite side of WW and its way too slow to turn /And im talking about 8m Soul/

About power i dont know about drifter - I think 5m Peak = 7 Neo and 4m Peak is 5m Neo
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post (total 2):
Regis-de-giens (Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:46 pm) • jatem (Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:26 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 pm

I'll order one and give it a try, it sounds like a fun kite for hf.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:36 am

I had my first good session on the 3m Peak 4. Its a super fun kite, like a stunt kite with enough power for hydrofoil. Wind was 14-17 knots with 25 knot gusts, 1m nicely shaped waves and side off winds. The kite definitely generates its pull deep in the window in this wind range. Sometimes I had to loop 3-4 times to get up on the board then on foil while riding straight downwind. Riding upwind is great once the kite is going. The kite depowers instantly. The drift downwind without bar input is unlike any other kite I’ve flown. Also, the ability to generate power deep in the window and ride steep downwind angles is out of this world.

One thing I like about the kite is the simplicity. Tube kites need a pump and even the lightest are heavy in comparison. Closed cell foils are wonderful, but they tend to stick sand if you get them wet and then put them on the beach, leading to a messy car and possibly enough weight to end the session. Self landing can be a pain if powered on a closed cell. Sand and salt inside a closed cell foil is a pain in the rear. These Peaks shed sand which is nice. The ground handling, launch and landing is a piece of cake. Surprisingly, they sit at the edge making a tethered landing possible.

One downside is they are weak upwind compared to one-strut tube kites and definitely the modest aspect ratio closed cell foils. Once riding on the foil no problem to upwind but there may be a 5 degree penalty. Body dragging out is a different story. I have had 2 aborted sessions now where I could not access deep enough water. The wind was near straight on shore. Also, my board is low volume so the foil does not race downwind. With a hyperlink, I could just put the kite at 12 and swim to the board in a few strokes. With the peak I’m body dragging and it may take a few more tacks than expected.

With a single skin I think you are asking for a swim. After about 90 minutes in the water I started getting careless and crashed the kite near the end of the Port Aransas Jetty. Too much water in the LE and wave action to successfully roll the kite over. I tried about 5 minutes. I’m sure I could have rolled the lines and drift launch a la Horst Sergio, but decided not to waste time in offshore conditions. The upside is the kite is easier to pack-down than a closed cell foil. And because it is tiny, I stuffed it into my wetsuit-top. Although its easier to swim with than a closed cell or tube kite in off-shore wind, its still a lot of drag in the water. Thanks friends for keeping tabs on me and ultimately taking the kite then foil to shore. It was about a 500 meter swim but conditions and gear made it seem a lot longer. With tube and closed cell kites the rule is don’t go out farther than you can swim. With a single skin, I think its don’t go out farther than you want to swim.

I have also come into a Peak4 11m. I’ve had a few flights and I think there is potential.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
jatem (Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 pm) • gregkn73 (Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:57 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:10 pm

I am looking to replace a Liquid Force Solo V1 12m that i have been foiling with for a few years now. I am interested in the Peak 4 after reading this forum. I would be using it for snowkiting in the Alps and for foiling in 9-13 kts. I weigh 95kg have a Moses Onda and am working on flying tacks;....... gybes i have sorted.
What size do i go for to replace the 12m Solo, an 8 or an 11m Peak4? I am leaning towards the 8, but thought i would ask before committing....

Thanks.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:34 am

Hi,
I also think 8 or 11 m². 8 should be enough, but if you want to learn manouvers bigger is better. But better go for gybes, race style roll tacks are for most more difficult and on a peak extra hard, as it sits to much downwind. If you want to learn roll tacks the easiest way you need a foil like the Soul. For sure it is possible to do jump style (strapless foot switch) tacks with kites like peak or no-struter, but this again is even harder.
Just remember, we are not all Oyvind :wink:
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
HaylingBilly (Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 pm)

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:44 am

Anybody have advice on if this kite can be flown on a North 5th element 5 line bar? Thanks
These users thanked the author MaximumAC for the post:
andrzej351 (Thu May 07, 2020 5:11 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”