Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby slowboat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:08 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:19 pm
With the 11 I was quite uncomfortable standing on land at 16 knots even with short lines. And I didn’t have any luck water starting below 9-10 knots. It did act as an excellent buggy engine even in 4-5 and because of that I thought HF should be possible. Maybe with the right technique, and deep enough water and room downwind for a sink start? May be variation in wind meters. I’m using our local NOAA sensors. YMMV
Any more water sessions with your 11?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:55 pm

^^^would also like more ride reports on the 11m. I'll be ordering in the next week or two and still can't decide between the 8 and 11.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Had an interesting session on my Peak 4 last night.

Out with my NP Surf Glide L+S foil and 5m Peak 4. Winds were about 12 knots SE which is typical for this location, then winds dropped down to 8g14 and did a full 180 degree switch on me. Peak 4 had zero issues, stayed in the air at all times and I just kept riding through the transition and continued to ride in the cross off gusty wind and it was actually a lot of fun in those conditions.

Where the sensor is makes the NE winds a bit wrong, real wind on the water was more like 8 knots and with the wind coming from the other direction I had 2 knots of current working for me instead of against me too.

The Peak 4 would make the perfect kite for gusty lake winds.
bbay_switch.jpg
bbay_switch.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 1358 times

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 am

slowboat wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:08 pm
Alas my 11 sang its swan song. Idiot user not a kite fault. It pulled me into some epic waves in conditions that would otherwise defy kitesurf. It will always have a special place in my memory. I expect most hydrofoilers would not like it and specifically if looking for the lightest winds l/d matters. Riding upwind you have to go so slow keeping speed under control always fighting the pull. It’s like a tractor in the sky. Feeling the kite disappear when riding swell is magic and that is the reward.

Based on my experience I chose marabou 9 rather than 12 as a replacement. Alas I’m suffering too much wind or too little to test. I am not expecting to challenge Regis Pulsion videos for lightest winds. I just want the kite to sit deep in medium light winds and stay in the air when appearant winds near zero for downwind rides.

For lightest wind I’m using a 13 Chrono in regular cloth. It absolutely smokes the Peak4 11 in under 10 knots, unless you are body dragging in in failing wind.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
slowboat (Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:51 am

jakemoore wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:03 am
slowboat wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:08 pm
Alas my 11 sang its swan song. Idiot user not a kite fault. It pulled me into some epic waves in conditions that would otherwise defy kitesurf. It will always have a special place in my memory. I expect most hydrofoilers would not like it and specifically if looking for the lightest winds l/d matters. Riding upwind you have to go so slow keeping speed under control always fighting the pull. It’s like a tractor in the sky. Feeling the kite disappear when riding swell is magic and that is the reward.

Based on my experience I chose marabou 9 rather than 12 as a replacement. Alas I’m suffering too much wind or too little to test. I am not expecting to challenge Regis Pulsion videos for lightest winds. I just want the kite to sit deep in medium light winds and stay in the air when appearant winds near zero for downwind rides.

For lightest wind I’m using a 13 Chrono in regular cloth. It absolutely smokes the Peak4 11 in under 10 knots, unless you are body dragging in in failing wind.
Thanks very much for your response...it is helpful to hear all viewpoints. Looking forward to your experience with Marabou. I started with P4 5 meter and liked it so much, I ordered 8 and 4 meters. I am hoping for 9 knots with my 8 (68 kg). Below that, I use a light double skin.

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:58 am

I've read a lot of theories the 11m potentially isn't a good option like the smaller sizes. Of course I still bought one and finally used it yesterday. I'm 77kg with modest foiling skills. I forgot my larger board and surf wing so I rode a lift 130 on a 110cm pocket board. My lines were 22m. Winds ranged from 6 to 14kts but were mostly 10kts. All I can say is Wow. I found the kite to be incredible. It drifts like a dream and had the power to lift my up on my small board and wing. It flapped somewhat when the winds increased but I've flown Clouds for years and it doesn't bother me. When the winds increased I just hauled ass. I've flown a 17m cloud in light winds and that is the extreme in over powered.

I know others have the ability to get up on the 5m in super light winds. I don't. The 5m for me becomes fun around 14kts but more like 16kts. I've gotten up in 12kts on it but it was a lot of work and took a while. The upwind performance wasn't great but it was fine and it was so positively overshadowed by everything else I don't care. If you're thinking about it get one. Summer winds are light here and I will gladly use this a lot. I went all in on foil kites this year and sold my beloved quiver of clouds. I bought 6, 10 and 15m Souls before I stumbled onto the Peak 4 discussion. I like the Souls but the Peaks are so much easier. Given I pretty much only hydrofoil I would have been happy just buying the Peaks but I'm hanging onto the Souls. I now have 3, 5, 8 and 11m peaks.

Conclusion. If you're thinking about an 11m get it. I'm so happy with it. I've tried the 8m is sub 10kts and wasn't pleased. I think the 11m actually serves a great purpose in the quiver. These are small windows but so were the clouds.
11 - 6 to 12ish kts
8m - 12 - 14 kts
5m - 14 to 25 kts
3m - 25 and up

Cheers.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 am

Two days ago I had my best ultra light wind kite foil session with the peak 11 m. (Groove Skate Carbon L/MHL Lift 170). This kite is Amazing, the wind was ranging beetween 6 and 8 Knots I cruised for miles along my home spot and the Peak was simply perfect. Chapeau!

Cheers

Carlo

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 am

i've been pleasantly surprised by the 8m (on 29m lines...i've had no need to try longer)
i'm seriously now thinking of getting rid of all my kites bigger than 8m (i just dont need em for foiling)

i'm maybe 170 pounds now...and i use a huge wing made for SUP surfing

i've been setting up when the handheld wind shows 6 kts on the ground (maybe its 8kts 100 ft in the air)
its given an extra couple of hours on the water in mornings before the thermals start kicking in

yes, under 10kts you'll probably need to "S loop" to start... but once moving it is a joy to fly.

i'm thinking if flysurfer(or anyone else) can make a kite with same flying characteristics while making it someone water relaunchable.... that would be in my eyes the perfect kite.

at least in my hands... steering a peak4 into the water in light winds means i'll have a nice swim.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 pm

jakemoore wrote:Alas my 11 sang its swan song.
Ripped? Sunk? Lost? All three? More details would be nice :-)

The 11 is giving mixed messages.
haiku wrote: Two days ago I had my best ultra light wind kite foil session with the peak 11 m. ....... This kite is Amazing
BigSky wrote: I've read a lot of theories the 11m potentially isn't a good option like the smaller sizes. Of course I still bought one and finally used it yesterday. ...... All I can say is Wow.
Is it hydrofoil area to weight ratio that decides whether the 11m works or not? Would you guys post your grams/cm2, thanks.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:54 am

foilholio wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 pm
jakemoore wrote:Alas my 11 sang its swan song.
Ripped? Sunk? Lost? All three? More details would be nice :-)

The 11 is giving mixed messages.
haiku wrote: Two days ago I had my best ultra light wind kite foil session with the peak 11 m. ....... This kite is Amazing
BigSky wrote: I've read a lot of theories the 11m potentially isn't a good option like the smaller sizes. Of course I still bought one and finally used it yesterday. ...... All I can say is Wow.
Is it hydrofoil area to weight ratio that decides whether the 11m works or not? Would you guys post your grams/cm2, thanks.
Here’s the deal with these kites. They definitely stay up in the air in very little wind. They have good grunt for their size BUT they have ZERO lift. So if your underpowered water start technique relies on the upswing of the kite to get on foil, it doesn’t work. You have to modify your technique accordingly otherwise you are not going to be able to use the kites’ low end.

Return to “Foil Kites”