For all foil kite riders
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Slappysan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 pm

I wouldn't advise the Peak for skim board use simply because the kite doesn't really like to be in that much wind (the amount you'll need to go upwind).

My 5m Peak 4 starts to feel bad above 18 knots regardless of which surf craft you are on. Can it work? Sure, but it's really not designed for those wind speeds. I could probably hold the kite down in 25 knots on a skim but there is no point for me.

Also you need to understand there is ZERO boosting ability with the Peak. I skimboard all the time when the water is really shallow and I wouldn't want to give up the ability to boost.

I also ride a finless skim and landing tricks on it often requires me to drastically over sheet the kite to balance my weight. For that you want a good 1 strut kite. The Peak would just backs stall.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:07 am

Hi, I add to this topic a short video showing a recent foil session with the Peak 4 5 m and the Groove Skate Carbon L. This size has the best wind range among the entire line.

Cheers

Carlo

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:44 am

So I joined the dark side after all of you raving about them, and got a 5m and an 8m. Had 2 sessions on the water and 2 days of snowkiting with them, and fairly happy so far. Super easy to fly, very instinctive and precise, feels very solid in the air. They fly in f# all wind, stay in the air without much effort.

Still need to practice my self landing. On an exposed beach, the kite easily gets blown a bit and may turn once or twice after being crashed, no big deal, but, with uncertainty about any twists or inversions, it can affect the next setup and launch.
Maybe also considering the 5 lines setup for snowkiting, cause it felt borderline scary trying to find a sheltered hole where to ditch my kite in 20kts+ powered conditions. Those things want to fly!
Overall, very well behaved, but I've had one mid air collapse in turbulent wind that was pretty scary. Kite crunched up, went down inside out, backward relaunched it and tips were still a bit tangled until it sorted out itself in the air after a few hard steers. Sketchy 30 seconds! Wind quality was in cause, for sure, but I'd say a LEI is typically much more predictable when it shits itself. This also applies when riding towards the kite, with some angled slopes, and barely any tension in the kite. Losing too much of it and it let me envision starts of collapses and urgent backing off of those situations before further troubles. With LEI's and to some extent with RAM airs, I know I have a couple of seconds of predictable slack that I just need to quickly compensate with the upcoming turn. On the hydrofoil though, I never got into that kind of situation and the drifting and general handling was faultless and very pleasant. Different dynamics than in the mountains I guess. And maybe I need to keep the kite a bit higher than what I'm used to.
Anyway, it's also surely a lack of experience with those kites to anticipate some reactions. Overall very pleased, looking forward to get to know them more. Winter's over, hopefully a smorgasboard of sessions ahead!

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:58 pm

haiku wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:07 am
Hi, I add to this topic a short video showing a recent foil session with the Peak 4 5 m and the Groove Skate Carbon L. This size has the best wind range among the entire line.

Cheers

Carlo
i love that bar.
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
oldkiter (Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:42 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:44 am
So I joined the dark side after all of you raving about them, and got a 5m and an 8m. Had 2 sessions on the water and 2 days of snowkiting with them, and fairly happy so far. Super easy to fly, very instinctive and precise, feels very solid in the air. They fly in f# all wind, stay in the air without much effort.

Still need to practice my self landing. On an exposed beach, the kite easily gets blown a bit and may turn once or twice after being crashed, no big deal, but, with uncertainty about any twists or inversions, it can affect the next setup and launch.
Maybe also considering the 5 lines setup for snowkiting, cause it felt borderline scary trying to find a sheltered hole where to ditch my kite in 20kts+ powered conditions. Those things want to fly!
Overall, very well behaved, but I've had one mid air collapse in turbulent wind that was pretty scary. Kite crunched up, went down inside out, backward relaunched it and tips were still a bit tangled until it sorted out itself in the air after a few hard steers. Sketchy 30 seconds! Wind quality was in cause, for sure, but I'd say a LEI is typically much more predictable when it shits itself. This also applies when riding towards the kite, with some angled slopes, and barely any tension in the kite. Losing too much of it and it let me envision starts of collapses and urgent backing off of those situations before further troubles. With LEI's and to some extent with RAM airs, I know I have a couple of seconds of predictable slack that I just need to quickly compensate with the upcoming turn. On the hydrofoil though, I never got into that kind of situation and the drifting and general handling was faultless and very pleasant. Different dynamics than in the mountains I guess. And maybe I need to keep the kite a bit higher than what I'm used to.
Anyway, it's also surely a lack of experience with those kites to anticipate some reactions. Overall very pleased, looking forward to get to know them more. Winter's over, hopefully a smorgasboard of sessions ahead!
Happy for you to join club.

Some thoughts - as you probably hear from me many times 3,4,5 are THE sizes - 8 is borderline for this concept. I rather use other type of kite when 8 is needed.
Ride it powered - imo all unstability comes from riding it depowered - i never have any colapse and i also snowkite in shity winds. Rig small and work shit out of it.
If you need power from big kite - Peak is wrong kite

Dont bother with 5th lines.

About self land - crash it hard so it loose shape completely - then release bar and go to the kite on one line. This kite has no shape so even if wind catch it will not pull /unless there is perfectly balanced 4 line tension on other side/

If you need leash use frontline safety - much less tangle than 5th lines. 5th line release kite ends in ball and you get left to right bridle tangle.
At least i never get it work properly - only possible way to TRUE "RE RIDE" was with very short release travel /like 50cm/ then kite keep shape and there was not tangle but restpull was too much,.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 pm

I love the Connect Control Bar too :D super safe and confortable : :heartface: .

Cheers
Carlo

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:49 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Some thoughts - as you probably hear from me many times 3,4,5 are THE sizes - 8 is borderline for this concept. I rather use other type of kite when 8 is needed.
Ride it powered - imo all unstability comes from riding it depowered - i never have any colapse and i also snowkite in shity winds. Rig small and work shit out of it.
If you need power from big kite - Peak is wrong kite
Thanks for the tips. I got them to cover my typical HF conditions from 10 to 18kts, and any windier than that is usually surfboard territory with inflatables 9 and below.
I was pleasantly surprised with the 8, actually quite nimble and it looks like it could replace my single strut 12m, for foiling at least. Doesn't feel like a big kite to me.
Saying so, when I got to switch to the 5, it was of course a much more fun kite to fly than the 8. But I felt the 8 was very decent.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:04 am

Nice to hear!

bohme
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ringkøbing
Favorite Beaches: Hvide Sande
Style: Foiling
Gear: Worn
Brand Affiliation: DIY

Postby bohme » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:50 pm

A short video of my last kitefoil wave session, using a Peak4 4m2 on 17m lines:

This is an awsome kite for my kitefoil setup and home spot. Thank you all for sharing.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Very nice leash setup - I use exact same :)

Also some nice riding - been there couple of times - Hvide rocks!

Return to “Foil Kites”