Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Jzh_perth » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Rode my Peak 4 5m with a surfboard in 18 odd knots and solid swell for a downwinder today. Was thrilled to find it worked as well if not better than my wave kites. The instant off depower seemed more pronounced on the SB but super handy on a wave to be able to shut off the kite. I wasn’t riding down the line much but even upwind on a wave the depower made it easy to stay in the pocket instead of getting pulled onto the flats like normal.

So it’s a versatile little kite that’s for sure. We rode from 4-5 and the wind charts are below. The start of the run is closer to Swanbourne and Ocean Reef (subtract 2 knots) is more indicative of the finish (Trigg)
8F32051E-63FF-486D-BDFB-91AFA6BDD0E4.jpeg

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Nice.

Here a Video of me with the PEAK 4 13 at the Maldives. The Peak 4 13 was my session saver.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:54 pm

Armin Harich wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm
Nice.

Here a Video of me with the PEAK 4 13 at the Maldives. The Peak 4 13 was my session saver.
Very nice! How would you compare the low end compared to a Soul 15m with a med-large hf wing?

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:27 pm

Peak:
fly in less wind super easy.
so much more easy to fly in gusty wind.
a lot better for wave´s.
needs a lot less skills to fly it especially in difficult/challenging conditions.

SOUL 15:
A lot more hangtime and jumps higher.
Better upwind.
more easy to tack.

Very different kites.

At the video it would have been a challenge to kite with any other kite. With the Peak it was super easy.
I usually like the SOUL 9 with short lines the most. But here I was super happy to have the big Peak.
These users thanked the author Armin Harich for the post:
Adventure Logs (Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:48 am)
Rating: 6.67%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:03 am

I liked the 360 vid, twas a head spin in 2d :-) You can put 360 vids on youtube, so that the viewer can dynamically choose their view point.

I wonder what you think of the Firefly and where this concept of hybrids can go? Will the Peak 5 have more design focused on water? or is improving L/D the greater concern? I have wondered what a kite with just a small strip of single skin on the TE would be like, or maybe 1/3 cord single skin. I think a lot of these ideas tend towards waves.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:20 pm

We know, that the single skin concept has a big future. We already improved L/D from every generation.
To improve water relaunch ability is one big part for the future, but is in conflict with weight and L/D.
We had Protos with single shin at the TE also tested already which since a longer time and it is a good way if you do it clever. Peak 4 will stay longer in the market and have now a additional size with 13.0.

I will have a look, if I find a good way to upload my material in 360.

Thank you, Foilholio.
These users thanked the author Armin Harich for the post (total 3):
jakemoore (Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:51 pm) • foilholio (Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:06 am) • a99 (Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:14 pm)
Rating: 20%

Brian H
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm

I'm riding my 5m a lot in 10/12 kts on 28m lines so you would think the 13m on 30m race line should work in 6/8 kts no problem ??? Anyone going to give it a go ? I know it will we slow but so what if it works in that light of wind . The best kite for getting in and out of sketchy spots with wind shadows .

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:50 am

Armin Harich wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:14 pm
i also have a Soul 15 and a couple of Leis in the quiver, so plenty of kites but the Peak is the most exciting for me !
Wow. That is nice to hear. Yes, the peak is really special.

I have to agree now that I have tried the 3m.

Can you suggest what you consider 21m to be the best line length to use with the 3m, 4m and 5m Peak 4 kites? Or is it different line lengths for specific use of kite?

Also, one of the videos talks about the high Y split . . . Is that 7m above the bar?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by max on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:23 am

Double skin, to improve water relaunch will increase weight, but I would think if when placed at the LE like on the Firefly you can offset the weight by removing rigid rods and some bridal support there.

Is 13m the limit of practical for the Peak4? Many people have stated that the Peak4 is better the smaller the size, with some not liking the previous largest 11m and then some quite liking it. This also is something noticeable in double skins that smaller sizes can be much better, like in speed and range. Is there something about single skins that makes this more pronounced? I have always thought that the absolute thickness of the airfoil had something to do with it in double skins. Used airspeed range is likely the large factor but I have a feeling there is a non linear relation when you change the absolute thickness of the airfoil. Volume of air would be one of those things.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:58 am

max wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:50 am
Armin Harich wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:14 pm
i also have a Soul 15 and a couple of Leis in the quiver, so plenty of kites but the Peak is the most exciting for me !
Wow. That is nice to hear. Yes, the peak is really special.

I have to agree now that I have tried the 3m.

Can you suggest what you consider 21m to be the best line length to use with the 3m, 4m and 5m Peak 4 kites? Or is it different line lengths for specific use of kite?

Also, one of the videos talks about the high Y split . . . Is that 7m above the bar?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Having tried the 5m Peak4 on 21m lines both with the Flysurfer connect bar with the high Y and another bar with V lines there is very little difference.

Longer lines, as with any kite, will give you a longer power stroke, a bit less responsiveness, a bit more drag and slightly less upwind ability. The 3m is very fast so using longer lines will slow it down a little. As with all these variables "your mileage may vary". It's not hard to try these things yourself by borrowing someone else's bar etc. Just get out there and do it! The Peak4 loves to play :D
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
max (Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:21 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Foil Kites”