Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby omg » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:45 am

And another one; for 4 and 5, what bar length do you prefer and how about the line lengths, is there a clear sweetspot, and what’s your min and max lengths?

Thanks again

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:01 pm

i have 44cm on 4 and 50cm on 5. Both will be ok on 44. 50cm will be definitely too much for 4m. Both on cca 24m lines. About line lenght i dont think that peaks benefit from longer lines as much as other kite - so i suppose it can be shorter from cca. 19m. Too lazy to try.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
omg (Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:57 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:49 pm

I've been using 50-60cm bars on the 4/5/8 Peaks and usually go for the 65cm on the 11m. I like my kites fast. Sometimes the 60cm is a little too big for the 4m but it works with a little more finess required to keep it from stalling. I prefer longer bars and smaller Peaks have no issues with them. My line lengths are 23-27m and sometimes 30m with the 11m.

Has anyone tried a pulley bar or a "turbo" bar on the larger Peaks? I keep wondering how one would work with the 8 and 11 meter Peaks. Would a pulley bar make these kites turn twice as fast in <10mph wind? Might not make more power but could make them more fun when playing around vs just mowing the lawn.
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
omg (Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:57 pm)

PrfctChaos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby PrfctChaos » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 pm

I tried line lenghts between 12m and 19m, on my 3m, 4m and 5m peaks. And settled on 15m to be ideal on all of them, for me.

With shorter lines (12m) at times it was difficult to get up and going, but once up there was plenty of pull (quite windy). While with 15 m lines, it is well balanced. Meaning if i struggle to get up and going, I know i will also be low on power when riding. So for me 15m is the shortest, funnest lines that still does not limit starting.
These users thanked the author PrfctChaos for the post:
omg (Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:58 am)

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblade 12m 2012
Peak4 8m
Wam 6"
Trax 132
Slingshot Hoverglide H5 / H3 / H4
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LeoLeal » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 pm

Hey guys. I've read all 61 pages of this to topic and I have some doubt about Peak 4 8m.
I'm 81 kg and my equipment is 155 cm foil board with SS NF2 hover glide freeride wing H5 (700).

Goal: Cruising around , no jump, no race, maybe later surf some small waves.

The reason I think the Peak 4 maybe suit me is i ride next to the beach, I rarely drop my kite riding, my switchblade fall to the sky offen because the wind here is all most the time light ( 9 to 11 knots ), nothing is more fun than use small kite powered, this kite sell where I live and is cheaper than Lei.

1) Can anyone compare this 8m Peak4 vs 12m Lei(SB).or other. How turn faster? How will be more playful?

2) why the effect of apparent wind doesn't happen in single skin kite?

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:39 am

Pimping and trolling here -- we finally got the Peak4's back in stock. http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com/fl ... -snowkite/

Sorry, this is one of the few products in the store that none of us have ridden so I can't give any specific comparison info.

- Stafford

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:41 pm

LeoLeal wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 pm
Hey guys. I've read all 61 pages of this to topic and I have some doubt about Peak 4 8m.
I'm 81 kg and my equipment is 155 cm foil board with SS NF2 hover glide freeride wing H5 (700).

The reason I think the Peak 4 maybe suit me is i ride next to the beach, I rarely drop my kite riding, my switchblade fall to the sky offen because the wind here is all most the time light ( 9 to 11 knots ), nothing is more fun than use small kite powered, this kite sell where I live and is cheaper than Lei.

1) Can anyone compare this 8m Peak4 vs 12m Lei(SB).or other. How turn faster? How will be more playful?

You really have to just ride one. I think they are a wonderful kite for free riding and foiling.

Had a nice experience this afternoon in Perth (WA). Our normal seabreeze didn’t come in and we were left with a weak south westerly to contend with. Somewhere round 10 knots but weak and not at all the dense cold air we normally have. My buddy and I thought we’d go foiling - I have my 5m Peak on a new Flysurfer Force Bar (so 20min lines ?) and he had his Cloud 3.7. Initially neither of us could ride - I am almost 100kgs and continual kite loops wouldn’t pull me out of the water. But the amazing thing was the kite was beautifully behaved the whole time - never felt like it would drop from the sky, didn’t misbehave. Just perfect.

The cloud got wet a few times. Eventually we got a few more knots and we did our downwinder 14km from City Beach to Sorrento. i don’t think this session would have been possible on many other kites. I have a 15 Soul which would have flown but riding downwind, catching waves, looping tight and flying towards the kite ? I think it would have been an handful and waaay to slow turning to be fun.

At my weight on an Axis 680 surf wing (~1100cm2) and strapless board the 5m works from 12-25 knots. its like a lightweight 8m. The 8 would be like a 12, but with a low end in the single digits. It would basically never fall out of the sky in a lull, unless it went to Zero.

Try the 8m
Last edited by Jzh_perth on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:52 pm

LeoLeal wrote:

1. The 8m will be faster than a 12m LEI. (SB?) Switchblade? Way faster than a Switchblade 12m (I rode a 2012 11m Switchblade for years). My 11m Cabo v3 was one of the fastest 11m I've flown and it was my go to before the Peaks for light wind. The 8m is fun and playful but it's not the 5m Peak. You have to keep watch if you're down looping it in light wind and ride directly towards it. It doesn't drift as fast as the 5m Peak and likes to collapse if you slack the front lines for too long.

2. Not sure why you think it doesn't build apparent wind? Once you get going you need less wind but it's not a race kite.
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
LeoLeal (Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 am)

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Our local importer shot this video of the 8m Peak in very light wind recently. Gives an indication of what’s possible. I’ve had both Speed 3 and Speed 4 21’s, Sonic 18’s and the Peaks are extraordinary.

These users thanked the author Jzh_perth for the post (total 2):
LeoLeal (Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 am) • andrzej351 (Tue May 12, 2020 9:33 am)
Rating: 13.33%

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:16 pm

LeoLeal wrote:

Hi LeoLeal.
I've been importing, selling and using the Peak4 kites for a while now on the East Coast of Australia, NSW. I started myself with the 3m, then the 5m for light winds. Mainly on a Moses 633 surf foil (1250 sq cm) but lately on a smaller (990 sq cm) Moses 679 surf foil. The 5m was pretty impressive with my 65kg weight and when a couple of local foilers tried it out they bought their own 5m Peak4's off me virtually on the spot. As jzh_perth said you just have to ride one to be sold.

Myself and the other Peak4 locals can foil down to around 8-10 knots on the 5m. I probably have a one knot advantage as the other two are about 20kg heavier than me. However it got me thinking if the 5m is so good in light wind then what can the 8m do? So I borrowed an 8m Peak4 of a customer who had injured himself in a bicycle accident to try it out and now have my own 8m. So to answer your question if your riding under 10 knots @ 81kg, especially with lulls to 6 knots then the 8m will do whatever you want. It won't fall out of the sky unless the wind drops below 3 knots. In my experience it's much better than a 12m LEI in performance as it flies faster and turns better than any 12m LEI in that sub 10 knot wind range. It's very relaxing to fly, quick to set up, great for cruising and excellent for waves, even just small swell or reasonable wind chop on a surf foil. The drift is phenomenal! You won't regret getting an 8m Peak4 for your conditions and it's inexpensive too. I can use the 8m Peak4 down to 6 to 7 knots, so I'm usually the only person on the water on those light days.
The apparent wind with a Peak4 works just fine, not sure where you heard that's an issue with single skin kites? Compared to a high aspect, twin skin, race foil kite it will of course be a little less but not compared to an LEI kite.

However, after you have bought and used the 8m Peak4 and the wind gets over 10 knots you will want a 5m Peak4. Using the smallest kite you reasonably can on a surf foil is where the fun is for me. As far as I'm concerned, if the given size Peak4 will just pull me out of the water onto the board then it will have plenty of power with apparent wind and all, to let me do everything I want on a surf foil apart from jumping. The 5m Peak4 is faster than the 8m and is also great for downwinding, waves and cruising around with nice snappy turns. One size Peak4 is never enough in my experience :D (Good thing I've just got a new shipment of Peak4's in)

One more consideration. I don't think your Slingshot wing is very large? For your weight I would recommend a more surf oriented wing of around 1250 sq cm, (eg Naish Large, Moses 633, Axis 750), and a smaller wider board, say 125cm long, with the foil box set close to the rear of the board. (See https://axisfoils.com/collections/kite- ... -foilboard ) Coupled with the Peak4 this type of combo will give you the maximum lightwind fun and manoeuvrability. With these size foils you can virtually foil at walking speed if you want, making turning and foot switches easy.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 3):
LeoLeal (Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 am) • Atte (Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 am) • andrzej351 (Tue May 12, 2020 9:44 am)
Rating: 20%

Return to “Foil Kites”