Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby tomtom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:18 pm

You think you can just move kite if your direct downwind speed is approaching or exceeding true wind speed? Good luck with that :)
LEIs are not even in same game. Only thing they are good for is riding in waves with kite. Only possible exception is Cloud - still not best foil wave kite level /single skin included/

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:22 pm

About riding in waves with kite - i dont mean it bad and it is fun, But it is not riding waves - propelling yourself using energy from wave

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:01 pm

Sea-breeze measurements with a handheld anemometer are the most suspicious. The whole thing driving a sea-breeze is convection lifting the cool sea air over the warm land.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:57 pm

tomtom wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:18 pm
You think you can just move kite if your direct downwind speed is approaching or exceeding true wind speed? Good luck with that :)
LEIs are not even in same game. Only thing they are good for is riding in waves with kite. Only possible exception is Cloud - still not best foil wave kite level /single skin included/
If you are riding without any turns on a wave, then my suggestion might not work, but if you do, cannot you just time things better and make it work like LEIs. And styles are many, look at Airton Cozzolino, very powerful strapless wave riding, linkiing turns to turns, and compare him to powerful surfer, not too much a difference between the two, of course in offshore kiter is getting pulled from wave, but that’s a clear exception. And he’s using the inferior :wink: LEIs after all.
Anyways, this is OT so let’s focus on P4s for now.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:18 pm

omg wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:57 pm
tomtom wrote:
If you are riding without any turns on a wave, then my suggestion might not work, but if you do, cannot you just time things better and make it work like LEIs. And styles are many, look at Airton Cozzolino, very powerful strapless wave riding, linkiing turns to turns, and compare him to powerful surfer, not too much a difference between the two, of course in offshore kiter is getting pulled from wave, but that’s a clear exception. And he’s using the inferior :wink: LEIs after all.
I think this discussion is very relevant to P4. The pro wave riding I see with LEI look like kite powered linked turns using the wave as a ramp. Perhaps I’m misinterpreting what i am seeing.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:18 pm

I just had a great session on the 5 meter with a slingshot space pickle surfboard in maybe 20-23 knots and waist-high+ shorebreak.

Having never owned anything else that would be considered a wave kite, I found it pretty fricken cool to be able to totally and completely forget about the kite and only concentrate on riding the wave.

Getting upwind was nowhere near the problem i suspected it might be, given the way the Peak flys. I was well-powered and did have the trim strap pulled in maybe half way. I had no problem getting upwind at all.

I had none of the problems i have experienced when overpowered on the hydrofoil. No leading edge folding in. Not even really any flapping that i could see, although as i said i completely ignored the kite when on the wave.

Stoked.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 1m Foil
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Collecting dust - Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m

Postby jatem » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:23 am

omg wrote:
tomtom wrote:

If I'm expecting to slack the lines when riding fast downwind on a wave, one option is to bring the peak up to 12oclock, and then steer it leading edge downwards. Then it will float down nice and slow, with a stable shape, ready for when you need it again.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:26 am

jatem wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:23 am
omg wrote:
tomtom wrote:

If I'm expecting to slack the lines when riding fast downwind on a wave, one option is to bring the peak up to 12oclock, and then steer it leading edge downwards. Then it will float down nice and slow, with a stable shape, ready for when you need it again.
Yes, this and other similar actions work to an extent but sometimes, especially on a breaking wave, the lines slack so fast, there is nothing that can be done.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:11 am

Armin Harich wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm
Nice.

Here a Video of me with the PEAK 4 13 at the Maldives. The Peak 4 13 was my session saver.
Armin,
What do you think was the wind speed at those sessions and for which condition you’d pick 11m vs 13m?

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:07 am

grigorib wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:11 am
Armin Harich wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:52 pm
Nice.

Here a Video of me with the PEAK 4 13 at the Maldives. The Peak 4 13 was my session saver.
Armin,
What do you think was the wind speed at those sessions and for which condition you’d pick 11m vs 13m?
Armin wrote earlier " I used the LEVITAZ SHAKA L. M would also have worked well, as it was already more than 7 knt up in the Air. At the Ground was almost noting to measure as it was in a wind shield."

I hope this answer your question.

But I'm also interested to know Armins opinion of the low end of the 11m and the 13m.

-Atte
Last edited by Atte on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”