Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby tomtom » Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:01 pm
If you found the span line was shrunk/too short. Why not just stretch it?
because i tried first remove it and it just work :)

Germans are almost perfect engineers with slight tendency to overengineering - i have bad habit to remove features from stuff which i found redundant. Sometimes it work sometimes not

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed May 13, 2020 2:23 pm

Anyway Peter

How do you like 11? Can you write mini review?
My position about bigger peaks are very well known :)

Many thanks!

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby seppalord » Wed May 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi folks,

I'm new around here. Long time lurker :)
Just want to say many thanks for this wonderful thread, it has been a great pleasure reading.
I just ordered a 5m and can't wait to feel it in action.

Keep it up and stay healthy my friends

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed May 13, 2020 2:42 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 am
thanks for line diameter advices
tomtom wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:48 am
IMO its essential to keep peaks powered. In my case its not problem because i always rode like that /small powered kite instead big depowered/
This is also my feedback from the peak v1 in 9m that I had for snowkite years ago ; but Tomtom, how is this compatible with the pure downwind angle where you benefit of the peak drift ? I suppose at this stage the peak is almost not loaded right ? or you force the kite to keep loaded low in the window with significant bar pulling ?
Hi Regis.

I use the 21m Flysurfer Connect Bar which is specifically designed for the Peak4 without the 5th line which is not needed on the water. I compared it to a 24m line bar and definitely prefer the 21m lines. The Flysurfer Connect bar is quite good as it is light weight and simple which matches the feel of the kite.

With regard to keeping the wing powered and flapping, with my 65kg it wasn't so much the flapping of the kite when it moved out of its sweet spot, (and it didn't really flap much anyway), it was more the fact that you reached a point where a smaller Peak4 would be more fun :) I like to be able to depower my Peak4 as much as possible to ride waves/wind chop etc. With too larger Peak4 it was too easy to out run the wave and miss the opportunity to cut back and forth across the wave using wave power as much as possible.

Your experience with an early Peak v1 could be summed up by one of my customers who also had some earlier Peak kites. First I sold him one Peak4 kite to fill a gap in his existing Peak range. After trying it out he then bought most of the Peak4 sizes as the improvement from earlier Peak kites was so significant :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 13, 2020 6:12 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:23 pm
Anyway Peter

How do you like 11? Can you write mini review?
My position about bigger peaks are very well known :)

Many thanks!

Hi tomtom

No, I cant, yet, have only been out one time with the 11 m2.

It was great fun and REALLY light, sometimes the two racers with 21 m2 was waiting for wind as they could not ride either...
But I also experienced not being able to get up foiling in these lulls, even with 30 m lines.

It drifts amazing, not that it is needed in this size as not for waves - but the two racers wanted to try to feel this kite on land, so they could also see that running under the kite, it just drifted back, and they were truly amazed.
The peak power is of course less than other performance kites, when up in these sizes, but to be expected.

Good thing is, that it just hangs in almost no wind, so little risk of downing the kite - excellent!

How it compares to other kites, like my 10 m2 onestrut, or my 12 m2 strutless, or my 15 m2 Concept Air Pulsion UL, I dont know yet, whatsoever....

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed May 13, 2020 6:39 pm

many thanks, looking for more info :) as you can see im spending way too much time on forum and less riding because corona travel restriction.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Thu May 14, 2020 8:08 pm

My latest attempt at a backroll on the 4m Peak 4. Got more than I bargained for on this one when the kite looped!

Photo credit : Robert Siliato https://jerseyshoreimages.com/
Attachments
DSC_5888_rsiliato.jpg
Peak 4 Kiteloop
These users thanked the author darippah for the post:
a99 (Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Sun May 17, 2020 6:33 pm

I took out my Peak4 8m in 10kts of wind today. Beautiful conditions in the Netherlands, could have been the South Florida coast. All LEI kites were dropping down, including a guy flying a North Mono with a Moses Onda foil.

The Peak4 performed quite well under the onshore conditions, even in the lulls. I haven’t flown the 5m yet, the 8m is a bit slow compared to my other kites. It does have enough power to pull through the surf, not sure if I had been able to do this with the 5m. 9kts would be the bare minimum I would be able to ride with the 8m. Curious to see how the 5m compares!
These users thanked the author palmbeacher for the post (total 2):
andrzej351 (Sun May 17, 2020 7:12 pm) • a99 (Sun May 17, 2020 10:33 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 pm

I had the 5m out for the second time yesterday on our beautiful Dutch coast. Great riding in 15-17knots. When the wind dropped it was manageable till around 13 knots and when it dropped to 11knts I wasn't able to get on my board. But the push of the waves was quite large and the current unfavorable so that didn't help.

Compared to the 4m, which is quite zippy even in its sweetspot, the 5m is much more like a LEI kite, stable and more of a park and ride in its sweetspot. Good speed in turns. The camera in the lines did have a slight negative impact in its capability to drift IMO.

Short clip below, made a GIF because I'm too lazy to make a YT clip.
Attachments
636409E8-CC03-4BBC-BFA0-3DA0D687BFA6.gif
These users thanked the author flying doctor for the post (total 2):
andrzej351 (Sun May 17, 2020 9:49 pm) • a99 (Sun May 17, 2020 10:34 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Mon May 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Another session this afternoon with the 5m in 14-17 knts with dead onshore wind and waves. It is just so much fun chasing swell with this kite!

On the other hand I'm sad to inform you all that physics still apply to the peak: I can definitely outrun the kite in these conditions and on one occasion I couldn't save the kite from falling in the sea.. One wave and the kite was half submerged.
Conditions weren't dangerous as far as waves and current were concerned, and I wasn't far from shore. But I still had a sketchy moment winding my lines and packing the kite in the water when some bridle lines got in my feet. Imagine drowning because of that..

Peaks are great but they are not water kites!

Took me quite some time to unmess the kite and get back on the water but still had a great session after that.
These users thanked the author flying doctor for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon May 18, 2020 6:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”