Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Skywalker7 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:57 am

omg wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:21 pm
I have 5m2 Peak4 and really love it for foiling, however, would like to have a kite for lower winds. Been reading this thread abt the 8m2 but still very confused; some praise the 8, and some truly not. Hard to know abt their skills etc.

So, what’s the verdict on 8m2, woyld it give me clear advantage to go in lower winds than the 5m2? I’m 80kg with 633 Onda.
And would you buy again the 8m2 for yourself if you started from zero?
The 8m is definitely a very good lightwind size. I (90kg) can start with a kiteloop from 8 knots on a 1300 cm surf wing and still pretty fast and fun to ride. Definitely a huge difference in low end compared to the 5M.
These users thanked the author Skywalker7 for the post:
omg (Sat May 30, 2020 2:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gregkn73
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby gregkn73 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm

If a single skin kite had higher aspect ratio than peak 4, will it be better in low winds?

joe f
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak 4
Triton T1
Slingshot UFO V2

Postby joe f » Sun May 31, 2020 5:47 pm

I am another victim of the Peak 4 addiction :-)

I bought a 5m last week as I wanted to try it out and was attracted by the drift. I currently use 10m and 6m Souls, both of which are brilliant but the Peak is cheap enough to try it out. The first outing was in light winds and I was using 16m lines, which didn’t help my 90kg bulk on water starts. It was lovely when up on the foil, but very hard work to get going when you are used to the steam train pull of the Soul. I managed to crash it into the water, but it took off pretty quickly, so 1/1 on the relaunch front, which I wasn’t expecting. I wasn’t blown away, but it was an unfair test.

The past couple of days have been an eye opener for me though - I have clocked up 100km of pure, unadulterated fun on the 5m Peak in fairly moderate winds. Other foilers were out on 10s and 12s, so there is no doubt that the 5m has some punch. I also put it on 21m lines which definitely helps bottom end and have got used to looping the sh#t out of it to get going. All they hype is true - it is the perfect match for my Moses 633 and Kanaha Shapes board. It feels like I have a go kart of the sea - pure fun. I actually managed to crash it again in the first 5mins yesterday but, again, it relaunched just fine. Both crashes were entirely my fault, grabbing the wrong side of the bar after unspinning. The kite feels so locked in the sky otherwise, I really don’t know how you would crash it.

So, a massive believer. Yes, the soul is faster, more powerful and goes upwind better, but I honestly had my best two sessions on the foil board this weekend and am flying out of gybes without worrying about flying under the kite.

So......... I am definitely going to get a 4m for bigger winds. The 5m and 4m should easily cover the 6m Soul territory. The dilemma is what to do with the 10m Soul. Keep it as really light wind foilboard kite and twin tip boosting or get an 8m Peak and just give up on twin tip entirely? Has anyone used both the 10m Soul and 8m Peak and have a view on bottom end?

Cheers,
Joe

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Sun May 31, 2020 8:45 pm

Here is another beliver.
Got my 5m and was able to use it in gusty lake conditions on my 1200. Wind was very scetchy ranging from approx. 12-25kn. Other foilers used 9-13 m lei.
Never felt so confortable riding my foil in these conditions. It felt like I used this kite many times before.
Before I got on the water I was using it on solid ground to get used to the flying charactersitcs, as I wasn't very familiar with foil kites.
This kite is freaking stable, only when wind was completely off it came down, otherwise no chance to put it in the water. The instant depower when letting the bar go, is fabolous when riding a foil. You can throw this kite around with barley two fingers, it is such a joy.

I'm, as many other in this thread, very pleasantly suprised.

Only when the gusts hit me hard the kite was in flappy town. It becomes more unease on the bar and the canopy is making a lot of sound :)
Another shortcoming, as mentioned before, is the limited windrange.

So, no I have to convince my better half to use the lovely peak and buy MORE!!

I'm also very interested in the 8m to extend my bottom end further more. Below 12 knots the 5m lacks some low end to get on the foil.
Please whoever is using the 8m, please give me some reasons to throw some more cash to flysurfer.

Greetings seppalord

khaakon
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70kg
Style: Landcrab
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 @4m /5m /6m /8m /11m /13m
...& FS P5 @6m /8m
Flysurfer Speed 5 @9m
Ozone Subzero @7m
BornKite Longstar 2 @3,5m
Ozone Ignition @2,5m
6 /9 /12m line ext.
Sysmic S3 buggy @18" Midi XL
Black Crows Skis
Underwave Atlantis seat /Dynabar /2 steel rings on rope
G-Form pads / Poc Helmet

Postby khaakon » Sun May 31, 2020 10:09 pm

gregkn73 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
If a single skin kite had higher aspect ratio than peak 4, will it be better in low winds?
You can look into a range of nice, narrow single skins from Bornkite in germany, Bornkite Racestar+.
Sizes; 3 - 5 - 7 - 9 - 11 - 14. 539 to 1169 Euros
race_star_9.jpg
race_star_9.jpg (7.41 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
http://www.born-kite.de/?cat=c102_Race- ... lus--.html

YouTube w/buggy;

*Edit: Tip, @ around 2:00 into the Utoob video you can see it run alongside some big (expensive) regular foilkites!
And, you might want to turn the music off and put on something proper
Last edited by khaakon on Sun May 31, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sun May 31, 2020 10:12 pm

So funny, today my first sess with the 5... it felt I was cheating.. what a comfort. Never had a moment that the kite surprised me, it just fits.
My son was on TT and the 10 Soul, later on the 12 Soul, doing great. I just followed him on the foil. It’s like the pieces fell together.
Had already 3 sess on the 11, game changer on my local gusty pond. Doesn’t look like I need an 8.. a 4 maybe.. but I’ll see that after I used the 3.
Tomorrow again a 5m sess.. 8)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 31, 2020 10:40 pm

As I wrote (my opinion) in this thread, the 8 and 11 are nothing like the 3 or 4 or 5 m2.

Nice kites, but the 8 and 11 does not have any peak power, like the 3,4,5 has, or other bigger foil kites, and they dont turn on a dime either like the smaller Peaks, a necessity in waves IMO.

So the "total stoke" we all get riding the 3,4,5 is not the same, sorry to say...

Easy kites, and wont drop no matter how low almost, and you will very fast appreciate how fast and easy they are to set up and pack down again :thumb:

But if you expect a 5 m2 Peak4 just with more power, if you buy an 8, you will be dissapointed I think :roll:

Have only used it on 21 m lines, maybe longer lines will make it feel faster turning and better, and give more low end, dont know yet...

With the smaller Peaks no reason to go longer though, like some of us prefer even with small tube kites.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 3):
jumptheshark (Sun May 31, 2020 11:52 pm) • seppalord (Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:34 am) • Trent hink (Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:05 am)
Rating: 9.09%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun May 31, 2020 11:58 pm

You should try the 8 on long lines. I disagree with earlier opinions discounting them on the Peak. Have had enough time at the low end of the 5 to know long lines with stall trimmed out makes getting up and transitions way easier at the low end.

Probably won’t make it fun like the 5, but likely helps on water. 8m is probably a great size for snow.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:03 am

I have the 11, 8, 5 and 4. The 8 is ok. The 5 is fun, but the 4 is pure bliss in the sweet spot, which is just barely enough power to get going.

The 8 and 11 are good kites. Not as good as the smaller sizes, but they are so easy to fly in light winds. You never have to worry about keeping the kite in the air... You only have to worry about generating enough power to get going using a kite that does not have a big power spike

I have had some good small wave riding on the 8. Like, knee-high.. I have also had a session in a bit bigger waves where i felt good on the 8, but i just couldn't make it work; when i switched to the 5 and struggled to get up it was just perfect.

I use the 8 and 11 a lot, and lately i've been riding 5+ days a week here in southwest Florida.

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks for all the great advice.

As I won't come near waves any time soon and ride 90% of the time on gusty lakes, I can imagin havin fun with a bigger peak and cruising around.
Question is how much more lowend I will get and whether it justifies the investment. But I guess this can only be answered when I give it a try ;)

With my 77kg and big wing would you try the 8 or go even bigger like 11/13 ?
How would you compare a 8 peak with a 12m wave lei which I already own, would you recommend a change, or is it not enough added value?

Grats and thanks for all the reply
Seppalord

Return to “Foil Kites”