Foil_Adict
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne Beach Florida
Style: Foil and wave
Gear: SST wave, surfboard and alien air with slingshot inf 76 hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Foil_Adict » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:07 am

It just needs to drift when chased for me, I don’t turn the kite much when on a wave, really jut try to make it disappear. Guessing it’s unrealistic for a 13m foil kite to disappear though. Florida wind swell is not typically moving very fast so I don’t think it’s impossible that it drifts well enough to be fun.

Would love to give one a try. I have the 5 and 3 now. I don’t mind large gaps between kites. It makes it easy to pick your kite. I think the 13,5,3 quiver would be hard to beat.
Last edited by Foil_Adict on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Foil_Adict for the post (total 2):
loco4viento (Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:11 am) • PrfctChaos (Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:33 am)
Rating: 16.67%

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:13 am

Foil_Adict wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:07 am
I think the 13,5,3 quiver would be hard to beet.
I like the thought! Add the 4 later when the time is right!

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Eventually I could try my 5 m² Peak in light wind with my Moses 633.
On the beach I thought that is is absolutely impossible to ride in this light wind (maybe 12 kts, no waves). But surprisingly it was possible (needed 3 or four strokes to get up the board)! While others were riding with 10 m Souls... Later the wind picked up by 2 or 3 kts and then it seemed like the sweetspot for the 5 m Peak.
It is my first foil kite, so I still have to dial into this.
Anyway, it was a real pleasure to ride. So easy to fly, super light bar feeling.
The only thing that seems a downside: It has really poor upwind performance. I switched between the Peak and my Naish Boxer and the latter made this very clear.

lederhosen
Medium Poster
Gear: zeeko, best, cabrinha

Postby lederhosen » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:50 pm

I tried the Peak4 3m in 20 to 30kn and its good for that range. If there should be a Peak5 coming out end of this year I hope will have a wider depower way. It feels like the kite could be flown with a 20cm bar, it is a bit twitchy. Im 80 kg and ride an 800cm2 foil and 30kn is the upper range of the kite so I understand the notion to get them to make a 2.5m or less.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:52 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:50 pm
I tried the Peak4 3m in 20 to 30kn and its good for that range. If there should be a Peak5 coming out end of this year I hope will have a wider depower way. It feels like the kite could be flown with a 20cm bar, it is a bit twitchy. Im 80 kg and ride an 800cm2 foil and 30kn is the upper range of the kite so I understand the notion to get them to make a 2.5m or less.
If FS is thinking of adding another size to the Peak4 then I highly doubt we will see the next gen for a couple years.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:38 pm

They could add a Peak 4 15sqm !!
Once summer hits and hot thin light wind of 10kn is gutless a foilboard can use a huge Peak no problem
Even the apparent wind becomes gutless
Peak 4 5sqm can stay in the bag and rest a couple months
No go no more little kite
The spring and early summer wind power juice is long gone bye bye
Reality sinks in
My 15 cents

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 am

Played with a Peak4 8m this weekend. Interesting experience. Moses 679 and I weigh about 190lb. Wind was 9 to 15 ish. I enjoyed how it drifted but I did not like the constant chatter of the flap through the bar. When the wind gusted if I was over sheeted the kite actually deformed quite a bit...leading edge collapsing..it didn't threaten coming down....just messy and lots of vibration through the bar. these things have very narrow wind ranges as I could not get up sub 10 kts on previous days. I think I will grab a 3 or 4 for north of 25kts and stay with Souls and Sonics 9m and above.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Ridiculously good day at the beach yesterday.

Beach was surprisingly busy yesterday with hundreds of people and roughly 8-10 kites parked on the sand. Wind was probably 12 knots at 9am when I got there and slowly built to about 17 by the time I left in the afternoon.

After kiting at my home spot so far this summer, it was great to get to a wide open beach with such long beautiful waves.

The Peak4 has improved the whole experience of kiting for me in so many little ways that I think it unlikely that I'll go back to LEI for foiling. I got there at the same time as others hoping to kite and walking up the beach to get away from the crowd was quite the contrast to the other kiters with their wagons full of gear. Pretty funny to hear one guys wife with a kite on her back and another on backward on her front point out the disparity as I walked a little further ahead.

I carry my foil on one shoulder and my kite in my harness in the other hand. Everything else stays in the car in the shade.

It's been said before, but the easy quick nature of putting this kite up and down is one of the features that gets other kiters attention. That guys poor wife had just dropped the kites when mine popped up and I was gone before they even began pumping.

Getting out through the break is just one more thing thats simply better with a Peak. Sheet out and it's like your just walking out for a swim..... with a foil. Getting washed backward, and dragging out to depth are a piece of cake with only 5m in the air.

Rode all morning by myself. Full freedom to ride waves going up or down the beach in nearly dead onshore conditions. Just going from clean set to clean set with the upwind angle only a foil can give stitching them together. Total bliss. That is until the afternoon. The 5m is an awesome kite, it was so great all morning, but it had picked up to about 15 knots and swapping to the 4m is like a dream come true. All the same improvements just more. Short little 17m lines, 4m of fabric and you can launch or land in a parking spot. The speed of the kite allows you to do things in the swell that even a 7m LEI would be envious of. Ridiculous dexterity and light feel one handed. Lightning fast loops on one end of the spectrum and nearly unimaginable drift on the other.

I don't know about the 8m, but the range on the 5 and especially the 4 are enough to make them a complete two kite quiver for me from 10-25 gusting 30 knots.

Eventually a handful of kites made it off the sand and a few even made it out. The power and work it took to get out into decent waves looked like too much to bear! Even at 15-17 knots, the sizeable shore break and sweeping current down the beach made it hard for surfboard and twin tip alike on 12+m kites.

These kites are a great step in the evolution of foiling. They bump the fun to work ratio immensely.

So far have put them in the water to a variety of extents and have relaunched every time. The first few times you touch a wingtip your all "uh oh!" but eventually that becomes old hat.

P.S. I'm sure there are crashes that will not relaunch, but with experience I think they are the exception and likely not the rule. Put the 5m down hard behind me two days ago. By the time I grabbed my board and turned around, I couldn't even see where it was. Lines slack, I knew the kite had crashed LE down, so I back paddled to get some tension and held one steering line overhead. Sure enough, a pocket square patch of trailing edge eventually pops off the surface and begins to fill. 7 seconds later the whole kite is in shape LE down and likely full of water. Took 20-30 sec of slow steady playing of that single rear line to drain the tip so it would revers up off the water onto the other wingtip. This is the tricky part. Once up on one tip its easy to pull too hard and flop it onto its trailing edge, fortunately by that point the leading edge is empty and a tug on the front lines will get it back up onto the wet wingtip. It takes a little more patience there to drain the other tip so it will pop up flyable. Try to rush the take off with water in the tip cell and you will get off the water, but likely flip and crash again as one tip is still weighted. Anyway, the kite kept its shape and eventually I got the water out of the tip cell and it relaunched properly. Obviously not a kite to drop in breakers, but anything less and those with patience will have no problem figuring it out.

That episode alone was a huge confidence boost and opened up working on back roll air transitions with a kite loop.

P.P.S. The lift from the 5 and 4m are pretty much ideal for strapless airs. Plenty of float with no real dangle. They loop with consistent power and reliable speed. Land almost every jump with a loop now. Massive potential for looped air transitions.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 6):
andrzej351 (Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:28 pm) • seppalord (Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:09 pm) • wheat (Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:00 am) • joekitetime (Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:22 pm) • Onda (Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:37 am) • geron (Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:17 pm)
Rating: 50%

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:13 pm

can someone re-post their wind ranges for peaks on larger hydrofoil wings? 1000cm for example? Too many posts to find them buried.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:20 pm

78kg, 1100 cm2 wing

5m. 10 knots start with long lines. 12-17 sweet spot on regular lines. comfortably manageable to 20

4m. 14 knots start on short lines. 15-25 sweet spot on short lines. Comfortably manageable to 30

Return to “Foil Kites”