For all foil kite riders
ieism
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:51 pm

Interesting. I dropped my 5m today in breaking waves at sea and there is no way I could have relaunched it I think. The thing is fully underwater pretty fast. I still need to practice rolling it up better as there's still water in the kite and its too heavy to even lift it on my board. Ill do that in the swimmingpool this week when the wind dies . Tomorrow is another good wind day so not eager to practice right now.

I also somehow can go upwind with the 5 and 8 much easier than the 11m. Even if I'm powered on the 11 it doesnt go upwind as easy as the smaller sizes.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 pm

I dumped my 5m today at sea, LE down but right LE was stil up, quick reaction with pulling right leader, don’t overdue, made it rotate and relaunch easily. I was lucky it wasn’t filled with water... a meniscus problem prevents me from swimming..
The 5 was too big (manageable) and the 3 too small, working the kite all over the place to start and active flying during foiling.. other foilers on 7-9 tubes having fun over it.. couldn’t believe there eyes.. 3m.. “it’s a Peak, isn’t it?”
I see the need for the 4m.. 8)

ieism ; i experience the same, the 11 is more tricky upwind. (Don’t have an 8)
I wouldn’t put my kite in a swimming pool with chloor or other chemicals.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
ieism (Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:24 am)
Rating: 8.33%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Have rolled up in the water.

What I've learned so far:

Wrap all the way up to the end of the orange and blue bridles

Put tips together with bar.

Drain the tip cells completely.

Roll bar in leading edge.

Hold LE high to drain.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 3):
ieism (Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:24 am) • geron (Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:30 pm) • marblekite (Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:50 pm)
Rating: 25%

Brian H
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:08 am

I’ve had about 80-100 days on a peak kite and I had to swim in 2 times . I’ve found that when I’ve wrapped up all the way to the kite I concentrate on wrapping the bar on the leading edge where all the water would be , it helps if you can sit on your board to do this .
These users thanked the author Brian H for the post (total 2):
ieism (Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:23 am) • marblekite (Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:51 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

ieism
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:22 am

Janus wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 pm
I wouldn’t put my kite in a swimming pool with chloor or other chemicals.
Its a saltwater pool, should be fine...

Don't make fun of me, I spend too much time swimming yesterday to have a sense of humour about this... :lol:

So i put two ziplock bags in the cells, and a long bag in the tipcell on the righthand side. I think if you can prevent the tip from scooping water it should be easier to relaunch in waves. The ziplock bags stay put in the cells with the flaps in it, and helps a lot swimming with the kite I think. It takes like 10 seconds to install, im sure other people have thought of this.

Attachments
20200717_115001.jpg
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
andrzej351 (Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:59 am)
Rating: 8.33%

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Once I was out with a Peak4 5m2 and the wind died to 0 knots. No chance to relaunch with no matter which kite. I winded the lines to the bar and by the time I came to the kite (2 minutes top), the whole kite was 3m bellow the surface. Still no drama, i was able to roll it anyway and swim out. But I wonder, why did it go underwater? All materials that the kite is made of are lighter than water, so I think... and there sure must be some air bubbles traped in the kite... so why did it submerge? :o

seppalord
Rare Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 pm

jaros wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:47 pm
Once I was out with a Peak4 5m2 and the wind died to 0 knots. No chance to relaunch with no matter which kite. I winded the lines to the bar and by the time I came to the kite (2 minutes top), the whole kite was 3m bellow the surface. Still no drama, i was able to roll it anyway and swim out. But I wonder, why did it go underwater? All materials that the kite is made of are lighter than water, so I think... and there sure must be some air bubbles traped in the kite... so why did it submerge? :o
I have made the same experience. In my case I was winding the lines and pulled the kite towards me. That caused the kite to submerge. I guess without pulling, the kite would have stayed afloat.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:25 pm

There is indeed less chlorine in a salt water pool but there is still chlorine....that's how it works to stay clean....the Chlorine comes from the salt. I wouldn't make a habit of dunking kites in the pool.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:26 pm

seppalord wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 pm
jaros wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:47 pm
I have made the same experience. In my case I was winding the lines and pulled the kite towards me. That caused the kite to submerge. I guess without pulling, the kite would have stayed afloat.
That is likely what caused it....this is the way a sea anchor works in boating....the tug of the lines on the fabric which is resisting is causing it to "fly" downward.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:49 pm

There have been a few comments about the Peak4 saying it doesn't jump. Seems like this guy didn't get the message :D

These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 2):
geron (Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:21 pm) • andrzej351 (Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:57 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

Return to “Foil Kites”