Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
andrzej351
Medium Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 am
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: Slufter, Jastarnia,
Style: Free ride, Big Air
Gear: Naish Pivot, Naish Monarch
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 236 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby andrzej351 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:07 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Nah man, that's just not me.

If you have a hard time believing it, you're more than welcome to come film it yourself.

Hope your kite gets sorted.

It's not a lack of faith ... It's just curiosity

merl
Frequent Poster
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Mixed, flysurfer peak, concept air pulsion, wave & firefly, various LEIs. Mostly HF these days.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby merl » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Do you simply lie the kite on its back with the wind catching the leading edge? No line tension?

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 pm

Yup. No real line tension until the end.

It's only a tiny bit more technical than that. In prep, I lay it out on its back on dry land and unwind the bar into the first couple meters of flying line. I sort the bridle into a nice clean layout. Then re wrap the bar including almost all of the blue and orange bridles. ( for longevity sake, I don't like to wrap the thinnest grey bridle section on the bar at all and do a half hitch just short of the first bits of that). From here its easy to get the kite tip on tip with what is left of bridles out the trailing edge. Roll the bar in the tips to the center of the leading edge. Once rolled, with only one or two wraps to go, fold the trailing edge with bits of bridle up into the kite and do the last couple rolls. Swim out with that tightly rolled kite and board. I keep the kite up on the board and put moderate effort into keeping it dry. Once into the wind and away from shore, unroll the kite and let it sort of fill into its shape. Then just let it fall open onto its back. I make sure the curled LE is catching wind and the rest is laying on the water, esp the very trailing edge. Let it slowly move downwind. Swim slowly backwards while unwrapping the lines making sure there is always some slack between you and the kite. (tensioning a rear line at this point is bad. it will sink the kite underwater to an unrecoverable point). I make sure I finish getting the lines out before they tension as to attach my QR and get ready on the front lines. Once the lines tension, I keep the bar all the way out and have a hand on the front lines well above the bar to tension the LE of the bridle first. Let it catch and fill, pump the lines just enough to get the kite up and in shape. Let it sit there as the tips are now likely full of water. They take another 15-20 sec to drain and then another tug on the fronts and it will just head on up to zenith.

Ride your ass off and simply do the reverse if you have to wet exit.

This might not be much help for those on 8m and above. In my opinion, you need at least 10-11 knots of steady wind to best catch that LE and I don't really fancy the idea of swimming with more than 5m of fabric.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 5):
merl (Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:38 pm) • Atte (Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:54 pm) • seppalord (Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:24 am) • andrzej351 (Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:34 am) • wheat (Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:02 am)
Rating: 41.67%

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 pm

It seems people have run out of superlatives to describe how amazing the Peak4 kite is. Here is my review:

I am an avid foiler (have been foiling for 5 years), and primarily use Drifters. I was looking to buy a kite that would cover my low-end (9-14kts). I first bought a 8m Peak4. I did one session in 9-12kts conditions. This kite is extremely SLOW. It was hard work to stay up wind or comfortably make transitions. I sold it the next day.

Based on the reviews on this forum, I figured the 5m Peak4 must be better (although I was worried it may not have sufficient low-end). I finally got a chance to take it out today in supposedly ‘sweetspot’ conditions: 12kts gusting 15kts. The 5m is indeed a lot more responsive than the 8m, however similarly its upwind capability is mediocre at best as the kite doesn’t travel all the way to the edge of the wind window. Drifting is ok, but my Drifters are imo superior. It also lacks grunt compared to LEI kites: with such a narrow profile it lacks real power. The ‘sweetspot’ is also very narrow: at 16kts the kite starts fluttering. Gybes are more of a challenge as the kite doesn’t easily pull through the windwindow. I ended my session after 90 minutes, it wasn’t nowhere near as fun as it would have been with a 9m LEI. It was really disappointing.

I also realize I hate dealing with bridles (even new out of the box it is a mess). Plus I am not sure if these single skin kites will last as long as their LEI counterparts (could be wrong).

Furthermore I am quite surprised people would want to use Peak4’s in waves and high wind conditions. It may seem fun, but if you crash your kite you are in serious trouble. It doesn’t seem responsible to put yourself and others at risk.

For people considering Peak4 kites, make sure to test it before you buy. I won’t be buying another one.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:56 pm
Gear: 2016 North Mono 12m, 2017 Naish Dash 10 & 8, 2018 Naish Slash 6 & 9, Firewire Vader, 5'2, 2017 F-One Acid, 2017 Sroka Freeride Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Strekke » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:39 pm

palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 pm
It seems people have run out of superlatives to describe how amazing the Peak4 kite is. Here is my review:

I am an avid foiler (have been foiling for 5 years), and primarily use Drifters. I was looking to buy a kite that would cover my low-end (9-14kts). I first bought a 8m Peak4. I did one session in 9-12kts conditions. This kite is extremely SLOW. It was hard work to stay up wind or comfortably make transitions. I sold it the next day.

Based on the reviews on this forum, I figured the 5m Peak4 must be better (although I was worried it may not have sufficient low-end). I finally got a chance to take it out today in supposedly ‘sweetspot’ conditions: 12kts gusting 15kts. The 5m is indeed a lot more responsive than the 8m, however similarly its upwind capability is mediocre at best as the kite doesn’t travel all the way to the edge of the wind window. Drifting is ok, but my Drifters are imo superior. It also lacks grunt compared to LEI kites: with such a narrow profile it lacks real power. The ‘sweetspot’ is also very narrow: at 16kts the kite starts fluttering. Gybes are more of a challenge as the kite doesn’t easily pull through the windwindow. I ended my session after 90 minutes, it wasn’t nowhere near as fun as it would have been with a 9m LEI. It was really disappointing.

I also realize I hate dealing with bridles (even new out of the box it is a mess). Plus I am not sure if these single skin kites will last as long as their LEI counterparts (could be wrong).

Furthermore I am quite surprised people would want to use Peak4’s in waves and high wind conditions. It may seem fun, but if you crash your kite you are in serious trouble. It doesn’t seem responsible to put yourself and others at risk.

For people considering Peak4 kites, make sure to test it before you buy. I won’t be buying another one.
I had the same experience as you when I first flew my 5m after reading this thread. Coming off Ultra v2 9m, I also regretted my purchase, as indeed the Peak was not as grunty etc. Also, hate/was intimidated by the bridles.

However, since it was a new toy, I took it out a few more times just to try it some more, and I grew into it. You really need to fly it for a few sessions to dial into it. It's a different type of kite that requires different handling. After really getting it you will see the benefits and its true potential. At one point I switched back to my 9m ultra again and didn't like it anymore on the foil, the Peak is just better and gives a lot more freedom. I haven't flown drifters so can't compare directly but I would give the Peak a few more sessions before making your final judgement. I was exactly the same as you but ended up buying a 4m as well in the end :rollgrin:

That all being said, I only foil small waves on a big surf wing, carving turns etc. So not trying to go fast/crazy upwind, or do special tricks or transitions. So can't say if a Peak4 is better for those kind of sessions.
Last edited by Strekke on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Strekke for the post (total 2):
palmbeacher (Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:51 pm) • andrzej351 (Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 am)
Rating: 16.67%

merl
Frequent Poster
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Mixed, flysurfer peak, concept air pulsion, wave & firefly, various LEIs. Mostly HF these days.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby merl » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:44 pm

Fair enough palmbeacher- good to show that they don't suit everyone. But I am having a hard time to understand this comment:
palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 pm
Drifting is ok, but my Drifters are imo superior.
You must mean something different to what I usually think of as drift. The magic happens on the peak when you ride towards it. I think that for most of us it is meaningless to compare how it does this with a regular tube kite. But you are an experienced foiler so I guess you mean something else when you say that your cabrinha is superior... Can you elaborate?

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:49 pm

Strekke wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:39 pm
palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 pm
It seems people have run out of superlatives to describe how amazing the Peak4 kite is. Here is my review:

I am an avid foiler (have been foiling for 5 years), and primarily use Drifters. I was looking to buy a kite that would cover my low-end (9-14kts). I first bought a 8m Peak4. I did one session in 9-12kts conditions. This kite is extremely SLOW. It was hard work to stay up wind or comfortably make transitions. I sold it the next day.

Based on the reviews on this forum, I figured the 5m Peak4 must be better (although I was worried it may not have sufficient low-end). I finally got a chance to take it out today in supposedly ‘sweetspot’ conditions: 12kts gusting 15kts. The 5m is indeed a lot more responsive than the 8m, however similarly its upwind capability is mediocre at best as the kite doesn’t travel all the way to the edge of the wind window. Drifting is ok, but my Drifters are imo superior. It also lacks grunt compared to LEI kites: with such a narrow profile it lacks real power. The ‘sweetspot’ is also very narrow: at 16kts the kite starts fluttering. Gybes are more of a challenge as the kite doesn’t easily pull through the windwindow. I ended my session after 90 minutes, it wasn’t nowhere near as fun as it would have been with a 9m LEI. It was really disappointing.

I also realize I hate dealing with bridles (even new out of the box it is a mess). Plus I am not sure if these single skin kites will last as long as their LEI counterparts (could be wrong).

Furthermore I am quite surprised people would want to use Peak4’s in waves and high wind conditions. It may seem fun, but if you crash your kite you are in serious trouble. It doesn’t seem responsible to put yourself and others at risk.

For people considering Peak4 kites, make sure to test it before you buy. I won’t be buying another one.
I had the same experience as you when I first flew my 5m after reading this thread. Coming off Ultra v2 9m, I also regretted my purchase, as indeed the Peak was not as grunty etc. Also, hate/was intimidated by the bridles.

However, since it was a new toy, I took it out a few more times just to try it some more, and I grew into it. You really need to fly it for a few sessions to dial into it. It's a different type of kite that requires different handling. After really getting it you will see the benefits and its true potential. At one point I switched back to my 9m ultra again and didn't like it anymore on the foil, the Peak is just better and gives a lot more freedom. I haven't flown drifters so can't compare directly but I would give the Peak a few more sessions before making your final judgement. I was exactly the same as you but ended up buying a 4m as well in the end :rollgrin:

That all being said, I only foil small waves on a big surf wing, carving turns etc. So not trying to go fast/crazy upwind, or do special tricks or transitions. So can't say if a Peak4 is better for those kind of sessions.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Good to know, will take it out a second and third time to make sure.

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:53 pm

merl wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:44 pm
Fair enough palmbeacher- good to show that they don't suit everyone. But I am having a hard time to understand this comment:
palmbeacher wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 pm
Drifting is ok, but my Drifters are imo superior.
You must mean something different to what I usually think of as drift. The magic happens on the peak when you ride towards it. I think that for most of us it is meaningless to compare how it does this with a regular tube kite. But you are an experienced foiler so I guess you mean something else when you say that your cabrinha is superior... Can you elaborate?
Sure, should have been more precise: for me the kite acceleration and deceleration is not as fast and precise as with the Drifter. Could be because I took it out for the first time, but I noticed a big difference.

One other element could be that I ride a 600cm2 wing (Lift 110). Perhaps the Peak4’s work much better with larger foils?

User avatar
lederhosen
Medium Poster
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:02 pm
Gear: zeeko, best, cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby lederhosen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:56 pm

Who here has extended their barthrow?

tkaraszewski
Frequent Poster
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer/Mikes Lab kite, Ozone/Moses wing
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:23 pm

Here’s my experience water relaunching a Peak 4 4m in about 20 knots of wind. This was my first attempt at relaunching it. I let it crash on purpose and let it crash fully uncontrolled until it stopped, not trying to correct how it hit the water.

You’ll see that it takes a long time to fall out of the sky, which is good. But it’s also an extremely advanced relaunch to get it back in the air that I couldn’t recommend to anyone except an expert with foil kites. Your average LEI flyer would not have succeeded here.

Even though I did get the kite back up, it came up with the lines inverted, though this doesn’t matter much on foil kites.

These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post (total 4):
ieism (Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:22 am) • andrzej351 (Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am) • grigorib (Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:39 am) • marblekite (Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:47 pm)
Rating: 33.33%


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests