FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby bragnouff » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 am

drsurf wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:34 pm

I also have a race foil which works fine with the Peak4... but it's not as much fun as a twin skin foil like a Soul, sonic or Chrono or even a higher aspect LEI kite. With a race foil the aim is speed and being able to point upwind at ridiculously high angles. So I can understand the analogy with the buggy on the Peak4, the reason there are different kites is because we do widely different things with them. I have a mountain/land board which I can use with my Peak4 but it won't jump like my Soul.
High perf foils or high aspect tubes are for going fast and straight, which some (most) people do on a buggy. For me it's more about turns, tacks, brutal changes of direction, and the resulting power slides, kite super low, ... and the odd speed run to escape chasing dogs, so it's actually much more like wave riding, and it's quite a great way to get a glimpse of the capabilities of a wave kite, in lighter conditions, (and in cold weather). Very easy to shoot towards the kite, slack lines and then see how it recovers, tight loops, full loops, long traverses of the wind window, tensioned or not, ... Unlike with a mountainboard, there's no real constraint of balancing against the kite pull. Just select the trajectories and the level of drifting...
Anyway, I'm in no doubt that a 4m or 3m Peak would be a lot of fun in 18+ kts on a buggy, but then possibly a 5m LEI would be even more fun for what I'm after. Moot point anyway, since strong winds would always motivate me to go in the water, even cold. But in those 10kts I had the other day, I felt like the LEI had a much more rewarding response to my aggressive piloting than the Peak 5 ever did. Doesn't mean I will stop using the Peak for buggy, but now that I have a much clearer understanding of the qualities and abilities of the weapons in my arsenal, I'll make an educated choice to match the conditions, and my desires for the day.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 am

I always thought that the standard method for wrap-up was to drag one wing tip up wind, drop a bit of sand on it, then grab the downwind wing tip and fold the kite in half, taking care so that all the upper bridle lines are inside the canopy.

Then just loosely roll the collected tips up toward the center. When you rolled up to a little smaller than the width of the bag, throw the bar up over the leading edge and then collect any bits of bridle sticking out at the trailing edge and roll every thing up to the leading edge.

Damn that sounds complicated. But in practice it is pretty simple and if you leave the bar on it is ready to go for your next session.

This method also allows you to easily disconnect the flying lines and have the kite ready to unpack neatly, check the bridles and attach the bar; just in case, like me, you have more peaks than you have bar and line sets.

Self-landing, if i am not overpowered, i just grab high on the outside lines and pull them in for a controlled back-stall. Then put the outside lines close to the center line and wrap them once or twice around the bar to keep things in the stalled position.

Then if i am not so overpowered that the kite is flapping, usually i just set the bar down in the sand and casually walk up to the kite.

Bragnouff, you do not prefer an old-fashioned 4 line foil on handles for the buggy? Just curious, it's been close to 20 years since the last time I got a chance to go kite-buggying.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 1m Foil
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Collecting dust - Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jatem » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 am

tswierkocki wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:34 am
azoele wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:31 pm
Hello all,

I searched the thread, but found only 8 occurrences of "fifth line", so took the courage to ask hoping it's not an old question...

How many fly the Peak 4 without a fifth line, and how do you feel re: safety and landing?

I like the Connect bar's simplicity and low weight, but for my larger Peak (13m, and to a point the 8m) I'd surely like a bigger (60+cm) bar: I use it in very light winds, and it is a hassle to make it turn in those conditions.

The Peaks are my first foil kites, so not much experience.
I can self-launch and self-land a tube kite safely in light and moderate winds, but the Peaks are a bit of a mistery in this regard, and I value being able to land them without assistance as I often foil in very light winds, alone or almost.
Even backstalling them feels uneasy: the 13m will fall slowly, and will always try to bolt upwards again, even in 5 knots.

Thanks for the collective intelligence, and apologies if I inadvertently beat a dead horse.
Lopi
The Peak 4 is also my first foil kite. For launching I’ve been hot launching them from straight downwind - backstalling on the way up. For landing my favorite method so far is to drop the kite on a wing tip at the edge of the window and pull in the bottom front line.

I practiced a bunch of launching and landing methods on a light wind day to figure out what I liked best.
Hot launch is easiest on a light day, but I'd recommend launching from the side of the wind window when it's blowing properly, with some sand on top of the folded upwind wingtip. Bar remaining connected to the kite is the quickest way to go. I always check that the bridles are not looped/twisted over each other, shake out the bridles gently, and then check that the A-bridle set is on top of the B,C,Z lines by picking up one of the A-line attachments at the kite leading edge and walking it down to the little steel rings where the mixer joins you main lines (checking A lines on each side of the kite). That way your pulley / speed system is all sitting the right way up for launching.
These users thanked the author jatem for the post:
geron (Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:46 am

I like adding sand / snow on all the length of the trailing edge so that I can really give the bridles a good shake, a little bit of tension if needed, and clearly see that there is no tangle, no overlap between left and right sides, then I carry on unwinding the bar and it's a hot launch, with the bar all out and the kite shoots up in flappy mode with minimal pull. I like that better than the folded wingtip on side of window, for which I have had a few surprises at times.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
geron (Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm

[/quote]
The Peak 4 is also my first foil kite. For launching I’ve been hot launching them from straight downwind - backstalling on the way up. For landing my favorite method so far is to drop the kite on a wing tip at the edge of the window and pull in the bottom front line.
[/quote]

How much do you pull on the front line? How much of the line? How fast?

geron
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:27 pm

I do a mixture of hot launch and side launch from the edge of the window.
For landing, I just crash it face down from about 5m and loose the tension (I don't grab any lines). The landing crash is best in grass or a bit of shadow in the beach but not essential. You can also do it on water (of course).

slide
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes
Style: landboarding with a work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon decks/and now 6/8/10/12 soul, 15 spd5

Postby slide » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:36 pm

avoid landing in dune grass, its like landing your kite on pins

Finnbar
Rare Poster
Weight: 95kg
Local Beach: Basingstoke
Gear: Access 8m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Finnbar » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:01 am

Help please!

I’m starting out landboarding and, although I’ve got quite a lot of space on top of a hill, it’s inland and incredibly gusty. I’m hoping that the peak4 will be the solution...

I was thinking of getting a 3m, so I could static fly it to get used to it and it could then be useful (eventually) for higher wind days. Does that make any sense? And would a 5m then be a good size to use with the board?

I’m roughly 90kg and so far over the last couple of months the wind has ranged from 3-20 knots.

Realistically I’m mostly going to be out when it’s sub 15 knots

Many thanks

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3.7m to 10.4m Cloud kites
Cloud 9 S24 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard

Postby tswierkocki » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:34 am

Onda wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm
[/quote]

How much do you pull on the front line? How much of the line? How fast?
[/quote]

I bring the kite to the edge of the window and as soon as the tip hits the ground I pull in about 2 arms length of the bottom front line as fast as possible. The kite typically flips onto its belly without a lot of drama.

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:15 am

andrzej351 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:07 am
ice wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:50 am
Did you fix your issue of the wing tip collapsing?
Unfortunately not. Despite all attempts at regulation, it did not help. I made the Safety-B line a bit longer and the kite works fine in light winds. However, in the wind of 14-16 kts the tip folds and turns. Today I am sending the kite to Flysurfer Germany.
Did Flysurfer manage to fix it?

Return to “Foil Kites”