Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Trent hink » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 pm

[I tried the 5 meter with my old SS space pickle in maybe around 22-25 knots and I thought it worked really well.

For sure I'm planning to try it again the next time conditions are good here.

quote=Simair post_id=1111013 time=1599743243 user_id=86779]
About the 5m.
Would use it for hydrofoil but was thinking..
Would it work on a waveboard in 30+ knots?
Use it to take you to the wave for some wave shredding as it has such a good drift?
[/quote]

ice
Medium Poster

Postby ice » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:58 am

Trent hink wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 pm
[I tried the 5 meter with my old SS space pickle in maybe around 22-25 knots and I thought it worked really well.
Wouldn't the flutter be unbearable at that wind speed?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:57 am

ice wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:58 am
Trent hink wrote:

I went out with the 5 m2 Peak4 on a waveboard, in sideshore conditions.

Worked amazing, I could ride a lot higher on the waveface, and the kite felt like it was "never in the way" and just did what you wanted :thumb:

The downside was only when going in and out from the water, there is 4-500 m, and when you walk in this high wind (it was wind corresponding to a 6-7 m2 LEI on a waveboard) with the kite fully depowered, it was as you said, an unbearable flutter :naughty:

But when riding, no flutter at all, only if you stand fully depowered on the ground.
When riding DTL, at which this kite is MUCH better than LEIs, even if depowered, I did not notice any flutter, probably because one rides towards the kite so very subtle and not really noticeable, or because you intuitively sheet in so depowered some, but not fluttering.

Wind picked up a tad, and I took a 6 m2 LEI kite instead now.

What a heavy slow monkey to ride with now - it felt slow and heavy and stiff, you could not choose your own line on the wave now (like you could with the Peak4), and it really felt like an ancient kite - not good...
Eventhough the day before it was a top of the line LEI wave kite, ha haa, the contrast was scary :rollgrin:

But next wave sessions was with my LEI kites, so a bit of time between, and I got used to these again, maybe just lazy "I like to ride something that I know by heart inside out".

Have only used the Peak for waveboards this one time, but sounds I should do it some more - it is just not a part of my normal routine when rigging, and launching a foil kite in this high wind is not something that is easy, always.
It might also have a lower wind range than a LEI, but I can not say, as only experience with this on hydrofoils.
I could also have my doubts about its durability in this wind, but dont know either...

8) Peter

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 am

If you wanted to try one of these things in winds of around 1-18 knots, what size would work best? I'm 106kg and ride a 633 moses foil. I already have Alpha's as my main foiling kites which are great and just recently got an 11m Hyperlink (only one session so far). Just fancy trying one.

Simon

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:42 am

Si_B wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 am
If you wanted to try one of these things in winds of around 1-18 knots, what size would work best? I'm 106kg and ride a 633 moses foil. I already have Alpha's as my main foiling kites which are great and just recently got an 11m Hyperlink (only one session so far). Just fancy trying one.
I am same weight and have same 633-foil. I've Peak4 in 5m size, but with a bit limited experience on hydrofoil as I usually foil with Speed4 8m deluxe. But once I hopped at same session from this speed4 to peak4 and the power in 5m was good too for my mass, and not too much milking the kite to get on top of board from water. But wind was maybe 6-8m/s. On Peak4 I've used it a lot in mountains and on valley bottom it hauled my mass faster than lighter friend with Speed5 12m.

So depending on winds you have, 5m could be good to start with, or at max 8m as first Peak4-kite what I understand from reading this thread. I've not used Peak4 4m (or smaller) but I understood your question is more about bigger sizes.

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks for that, I think the 5 might be a fun one to start with.

I meant 15-18 knots, just noticed my mistake.

Cheers
Simon

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:10 am

But the fun thing is, you can usually keep it flying even in 1 knot wind, unlike almost every other kite, even the bigger ones dont fly in as low wind as the "golden" 5 m2 :rollgrin:

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:44 pm

ice wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:58 am
Trent hink wrote:
Peter answered this pretty well, but just to simplify;

The kite only flutters a lot if you depower it too much.

So if you are operating it on a platform that has more drag, it works well in a much higher wind range, and you won't be so tempted to pull the trim strap all the way and let the bar out all the way.

I always switch to a smaller kite if i'm seeing excessive fluttering, but next time you find yourself overpowered on your hydrofoil, you can test easily test this. Just get off and try a little body dragging: more drag, sheet in a bit to compensate and you will see less or no flutter. The kite mostly flutters when you completely release all tension on the steering lines.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
ice (Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:07 pm

Will try the 5 then and see what happens. I have an 8m and 10m Alpha which are brilliant on the hydrofoil but I just fancy trying something a bit different that is not the expense like my Hyperlink.

Simon

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Quiver question: I've got 11(single strut)/9/6 wave kites for foiling.

What size peak4 should I get to space between the 6 and 9?

My reading of this 150 page modern romance seems to say 4m Peak, but I'm curious what the audience thinks...

Cheers

Return to “Foil Kites”