Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:26 pm

cwood wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:08 am

I can back that comment up. I had a demo 8m for a few weeks and pretty much hated it compared to my Souls. Flapped like hell and developed very little power. I bought a 4m as my big wing, high wind cruiser and with my Moses 679 and 25 knots its a blast. I will be trying it down from 21m lines to 17 to give me more wind range.
Yea when you get use to the Soul for HF, the Peak just isn’t as good. Still love my 3m but in the same winds, I’d pull my Soul 6m any day(they have similar ranges, more bottom end on the Soul).

I may end up getting the 6m though, waiting to see how it behaves. I’m going to bet money this new sizes will have some improvement tweaks over the other sizes. Something Flysurfer has been known to do in the past.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:50 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:37 pm
I remember reading that the 5 is something like 5.5 m2 flat area.

Ny insiders know the actual canopy sizes on the range of Peak4

Would imagine this new size is 6+

Most likely yes, but it doesnt matter what size it is, as long as its just a bit bigger than the 5, and smaller than the 8 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8) Peter

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:08 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:50 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:37 pm
I remember reading that the 5 is something like 5.5 m2 flat area.

Ny insiders know the actual canopy sizes on the range of Peak4

Would imagine this new size is 6+

Most likely yes, but it doesnt matter what size it is, as long as its just a bit bigger than the 5, and smaller than the 8 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8) Peter
Flysurfer website has the 6m info now. Same aspect ratio of 4 for all of them. Only 100g more weight than the 5m.
5m^2 - projected area 4.4m^2 - wingspan 4.7m
6m^2 - projected area 5.2m^2 - wingspan 5.1m
8m^2 - projected area 6.8m^2 - wingspan 5.8m

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:15 pm

Yes the data is there, but the actual flat area is not listed - and we know, as said, it is a bit bigger than the whole numbers given, which is just fine, doesnt matter.

Will be great to see if it works as sweetspot allrounder as the 5, or not :D

8) Peter

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:22 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:15 pm
Yes the data is there, but the actual flat area is not listed - and we know, as said, it is a bit bigger than the whole numbers given, which is just fine, doesnt matter.

Will be great to see if it works as sweetspot allrounder as the 5, or not :D

8) Peter
But projected area is there, to compare....

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:49 am

Not so important which is the exact ratio between true and projected area, but the most easiest to get a feeling for the sizes and to remember them is 1,25:

3,0 m²
4,0 m²
5,5 m²
6,5 m²
8,5 m²
11,5 m²
13,5 m²

I think, very nice to now have the gap between the nice small and the powerful big sizes closed, so 6,5 m² could be interesting for many, thinking about it myself.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:07 am

On the bay, we only start to get real wind swell waves above 20 knots wind so below that I’m happy foiling on my 11m race kite on 10m lines to go fast and go sightseeing. I bought a 3m Peak 4 for high wind days to play on the wind swell in 20-30 knots but haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Amazing to think I might be fine with a 2 kite quiver of a 3m peak and 11m race kite(well, plus 15m race kite for 6-7knots). 65kg and 710cm2 foil.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Out yesterday fun swell on the low end of the 3m. You will find it's basically a different sport from dashing around under an 11m race kite. Kind of like saying you will use your road bike on light days and go ride trails on a mountain bike on windy days. Totally viable approach, but very different activities.

There are lots of days when even the choice between 3 and 4m makes for a really different type of riding. Plenty of overlap in outright wind range, as you can get going on the 3m and make it work well underpowered.

The 3m on short lines in big swell is amazing, but if the swell are not as good, I much prefer to power up a bit with the 4m and work on airs. Makes for very different sessions. The 5m by comparison makes everything feel like a slow dance.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:20 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:14 pm
Out yesterday fun swell on the low end of the 3m. You will find it's basically a different sport from dashing around under an 11m race kite. Kind of like saying you will use your road bike on light days and go ride trails on a mountain bike on windy days. Totally viable approach, but very different activities.
Exactly! Drift, carve, rodeo, goofing around in high winds, and straight line speed addict in low wind.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:07 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Yes, it is amazing that you can sometimes ride the 3 m2 (average weight) down to 14-15 knots and still ride, because of its insane powerspike - so going on a big wing in small (or big) waves is fun, even when on the low end.
Power on demand just loop it, while turning around on a wave, if at the low end - require some skill and experience, but great fun :thumb:

The 3 is a bee :rollgrin:

Really fun to fly and foil with this one - but the first time(s) you have this kite in your hands on a foil, you think "can this be right?", as it is so fast (turning and flying) and sheeting sensitive you wont believe it.

Once used to it in muscle memory, a no brainer and extreme fun - the same goes for the 4 m2 in fact.

Easy to fly now, on your backbone without thinking - just like you have learned to kitefoil relaxed now, where it seemed impossible on the bucking horse, when learning to foil.

When you get up in a 5 m2 it is more like a "normal small kite", and nothing extreme, compared to the smaller siblings 3 and 4 :rollgrin:

I push the 5 to the lowest possible end of its range, always, as I hate to go up in the 8 - eventhough needed for me when 8 to 9/10 knots...

Looking so much forward to see if the 6 is closer to the 5 as an "allround one for almost everything" kite, or it is closer to the slower 8 - or something in between - time will tell, I have ordered one as said :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
jumptheshark (Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”