For all foil kite riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:02 pm

Jyoder wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:50 pm
Step down isn’t an issue. Recently sold my old 4.5m LEI to buy and try the Peak. My old 6m LEI worked great yesterday back to back with Peak. Probably just a combination of different muscle memory and too light or spotty wind.

Definitely - you will get it real fast with your skills and experience, looking forward to hear how it works for you in more wind and more time :D

8) Peter

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 1m Foil
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Collecting dust - Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m

Postby jatem » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:05 am

I've been really enjoying the peaks with a high aspect surf foil made for pumping, an Axis 1010. The foil sits in the pocket of swell, goes a bit slower, and allows the peak to hang like magic as I'm riding swell. When I returned to shore today, after a great downwinder, the tide was running into the channel with a light sea breeze in the same direction, and with the 5m peak I was able to pump through some very underpowered gybes. I don't think I'll need to use the slower 8m now, as I can pump the foil wing off the surface of the water during water starts.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:31 am

Just changed my foil board from 120 x 49 x 5 cm³ to 100 x 43 x 2 cm³ (length x width x thickness), in combi with the Moses W633.
I found out very quickly that a "no-volume" pocket foil board is not a good combination with the Peaks to manage the very lowest end of the Peaks´ ranges... :oops:
The Peaks don´t deliver much pull during launch, which in combination with this very low-volume board causes me to sink into the water immideately after launch when kite power is at its lower limit.
It takes 2 kts away from my low end, I´d say.
I was stupid enough to sell my larger board before I tried the new board first time :roll:

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:36 am

I finally was able to test my 8 m² Peak for the first time in 8 to 15 kts (my guess) on a lake.
Not bad... but not as nice as the 5 m². The 8 m² has a narrower sweet spot, I´d say. Steering speed during ride is OK, but steering speed during launch is a littly slow. You need a large-enough board if you want to exploit the low-end of the 8 m² Peak.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:23 am

Onda wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:31 am
Just changed my foil board from 120 x 49 x 5 cm³ to 100 x 43 x 2 cm³ (length x width x thickness), in combi with the Moses W633.
I found out very quickly that a "no-volume" pocket foil board is not a good combination with the Peaks to manage the very lowest end of the Peaks´ ranges... :oops:
The Peaks don´t deliver much pull during launch, which in combination with this very low-volume board causes me to sink into the water immideately after launch when kite power is at its lower limit.
I was stupid enough to sell my larger board before I tried the new board first time :roll:
riding 90cm board at 86kg always smallest kite on water I disagree...

Yes bigger board is easier but i can fly in any wind worth riding on particular kite size

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:24 am

and im riding 790 more often - which have its own sets of benefits /and drawbacks/

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Onda wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:31 am
Which pocket board? Why I love my Moses Wave 100cm. Still has volume to help with those super light days.

Jyoder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jyoder » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Ok, you guys were right, of course.

2nd session on 3m Peak. Worked great! Riding fast downwind and skatepark style on large swell face feels much less reckless than with LEI. Less surge and yank.
Attachments
49995615-6A6B-4337-B675-68FBFD9D6E56.png

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Rode mega winds with the 3m yesterday, barely deviating the kite from noon. Basically just suspended in your harness to go straight upwind at a controlled pace with enough rear line tension to keep the kite quiet, then pivot and surf down the leeward side of the point kite still straight up. The wrapping waves were amazing so straight up/down wind riding was well worth it. No broad reaches! Major long button hook run outs at the kick out to bleed speed.

Have to keep some rear line tension unless heading straight down wind at the top end like that, otherwise you can see the beginnings of tip collapse. Short lines also help a lot with keeping the kite calm.

Had no choice but to go to single front line safety when landing the kite. With short lines it was low drama, no scary pull, kite rotated once before it hit the ground and stayed there. Walked up one line. No difficult tangles. Safest kite ever.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:34 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:43 pm
Had no choice but to go to single front line safety when landing the kite. With short lines it was low drama, no scary pull, kite rotated once before it hit the ground and stayed there. Walked up one line. No difficult tangles. Safest kite ever.
:thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Foil Kites”