Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Trent hink » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:39 am

I've been thinking about this, maybe too hard. Surely even the peaks are in carrying along some mass of air too?

Way less for sure, but we need an engineer to work this out and improve our (my) weak grasp on reality.
Flyboy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:46 pm
joriws wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:27 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:27 pm
Out of interest, I took the time to weigh my kites fairly carefully:
You just measured travel weight? Which is fine if you were interested on that.

For riding/flying mass pump them to your flying psi and also measure air mass inside the kite. Might be upto +500g depending on kite size, bladder diameter, number of struts and pressure.
Yeah - I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I won't be doing that! :-?

I think there's a simple, indisputable fact: the single skin Peaks are a lot lighter than LEI kites, or even closed cell foil kites of similar power. Very useful for travel & understandable that it would significantly effect their foiling performance.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:18 am

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:51 pm
borist wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:32 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:27 pm
It's not surprising they're "cheap" - there's nothing to them! You're not getting a lot of "stuff" for your money!
yes we do. light weight . It is usually very expensive to make a light weight durable kite. it is "in the package", just not visible :D
I'd go with the "less is more" position. I'm not sure light weight is inherently expensive ... except in Aluula. Foiling has opened up new criteria for optimal kite characteristics - Flysurfer seems to have stumbled across this almost accidentally, with the Peak4s.
I hope you like the 5.

I'm super thankful FS have reflected the fact sewing a Peak is easier in the price.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:09 am

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:51 pm
I'd go with the "less is more" position. I'm not sure light weight is inherently expensive ... except in Aluula. Foiling has opened up new criteria for optimal kite characteristics - Flysurfer seems to have stumbled across this almost accidentally, with the Peak4s.
Indeed, light weight by itself is not necessarily expensive feature of a kite. The kite has to be also durable and perform well to present real value. My point was that there is value in these kites that goes beyond cost of manufacture. Peaks are "cheap" or rather inexpensive when compared to other kites based on their performance rather than "what you get in the box".

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:37 am

Trent hink wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:39 am
I've been thinking about this, maybe too hard. Surely even the peaks are in carrying along some mass of air too?

Way less for sure, but we need an engineer to work this out and improve our (my) weak grasp on reality.
Sure, peak4 5m has tip cells so if you evaluate tip cell volume in cubic meters (m3 aka m * m * m) when filled in air and multiply with 1.225kg/m3, meaning 1.225kg per 1000l of air you get the approx air mass. In the only land in world it is 2.7lb per 61023.1444 cubic inches or 264.172 US gallons. If air volume is like 10l you can quite safely ignore that because mass would be 0,01kg or 10g, 1/80th of kite mass. 100l would be 0.12kg so 1/8th of kite mass so you could already count it in for inertial mass.
Flyboy wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:46 pm
Yeah - I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I won't be doing that! :-?
Measuring kite pumped, throw are kite line or other rope over balcony rail or tree branch or [...] high enough to have kite in the air and put a fish / travel luggage scale and hang the kite inflated. Not too hard, but needs some effort, yes.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:43 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:47 pm
This flywheel hypothesis should be easy to test with the prior generation Ozone/Flysurfer kites where there was an option for regular or UL cloth.

It's easy to assume the UL stays aloft in less winds. I believe FS did a test also demonstrating faster turning with Deluxe. The Kitefinder guys did a back to back on Chrono Regular and Ultralight and liked the UL. But does the heavier kite provide a more powerful impulse to water start?
I would not say it is that easy to compare, because steering the kite and acceleration to higher flying speed is easier on UL kite if air volume=mass inside the kite is the same. Still air mass is the dominant factor, in earlier Soul18m approx 2/3 of total inertial mass.

But if you get both kites to fly exactly same speed in no wind (for simplicity 0m/s because wind does work on airfoil and add energy), the heavier kite has more Joules in kinetic energy. But just linearly as mass difference.. I estimated 0.7kg mass diff between UL and STD if on 18m Soul, maybe you have better figure?
"UL Soul18m" = 0.5 * 9.8kg * (10m/s)^2 => 490J
"STD Soul18m" = 0.5 * 10.5kg * (10m/s)^2 => 525J

but if you get "UL" to fly 11m/s (40km/h instead of 36km/h) due to quicker steering & acceleration due to lower kite mass it already has 593J as kinetic energy so it out 'performs' heavier sister on kinetic energy by over 10%.
--
On airfoil lift equation both should be equal, so both needs to do work (delta energy) for rider 85kg with gear:
1) lifting up from water (no water resistance, just potential energy change maybe 1m of center of mass): 834J
2) accelerating to min. planing speed (min 3m/s or 11km/h ?): 383J
3) total work on energy changes rounding a bit up: 1220J
4) naturally 1220J is just get up and accelerate to planing speed but more work is needed to plane on TT or accelerate and engage hydrofoil. But used this example as getting out of water and accelerating board as "energy scale" like approx what kind of energies we are talking. If kite fails to produce this energy; get up from water and accelerate to planing, "wind is too low to ride".

So definitely wind has part on this but calculating lift force on anchored polar coordinates to lift up, then on moving coordinates and changing line angles is not "kiteforum simple".
--
But let's say on Force-work (force x distance), center of mass moves 3m with 1220J => 1220J / 3m = 410N => 42kg roughly the pull needed by kite on average, sounds reasonable level of lift.

If you go to Nasa foilsim3 with 10m/s flying speed generic airfoil with 2.7% camber and AoA 5deg produces already 824N of lift, so goes nicely above of 3kg fabric mass + 42kg of pull required. 500N lift is achieved with 28km/h flight speed already, so a bit under 8m/s flight speed.

But we must go lower flying speeds and combine kinetic energy of kite which foilsim does not support on anchored kites, and anchor point ~90 degrees from flying vector. But airfoil kinetic speed vector is nicely same plane to airfoil drag vector. On foilsim3 drag with example parameters is 69N on lift 824N. If we evaluate drag with kite kinetic energy => kite (UL example above) kinetic energy is dissipated in drag after flying 490J / 69N = 7m. But naturally if new energy is not coming kite slows down because of pulling anchor and LIFT reduces and due to that drag reduces, so again we are not "kiteforum simple"-area but on integrating formulas area.

But maybe that describes a bit the idea behind flywheel theorem, why high inertial kite is IMO better at ultralow wind speeds. Like on my many times shared video I use 15M Speed4 to door-TT (lower water drag) when 16-17M LEI cannot even be turned/flown to zenith. Meaning S4 15m2 produces all work needed for me to plane and stay in plane, when LEI lift force cannot properly win even gravity. And I really doubt that I could have achieved that in Peak due to high L/D required on proper true 2-skin airfoil to do the trick. Now hydrofoil saves a lot because at HF flight as we know drag goes very low, so if you just get the impulse (force x time) or work (force x distance) done by kite to get on board & accelerate to HF flight speed.
--
If you are better in real kite flight calculations, please complete the calculations. I've crossed some kite-electric-power thesis papers, formulas are there etc. I am too busy on other things trying to do calcs based on those.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:50 am

It is not that simple IMO.

A foil kite, or a LEI, also have air "semi-trapped" behind the leading edge, which weighs thus needs more power to be accelerated.

A lot less, as the center and trailing edge dont have stagnant air like a double skin, air just flows freely and low drag here on LEI's and single skins.

But the tip air of a Peak4 is IMO the smallest part of air, because the stagnant air are also to some extent "carried" when turned or accelerated :rollgrin:

A turn is acceleration.

8) Peter

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:43 pm

No Peter, in Peak4 that "stagnant" air is "vacuum/pressure" controlled which is part of airfoil drag coefficient (now omitting tip cell). Air "inside" is not forced to move like enclosed container where all mass has to be accelerated (I know turn is accleration). Lower pressure is generated which atmosphere fills with it's own weight. Do you know how straw works? You suck vacuum to pipe and atmosphere pushes the liquid up the straw (https://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/ ... -in-space/). Sure CC-foil leaks air, but new air is coming in with ram air pressure so that's why for simplicity it is omitted.

I did not say my calcs are 100% thruth, like said "kiteforum simplicity". Calcs are just based on energy conserving physics laws etc. And have "work" is estimated when energy changes. Nothing fancy over elementary school physics. So without new energy to example kite, 490J of kinetic energy can resist 69N drag for 7 meter work period and at the same time generating 80kg of line pulling force (in level flight, not diving). And omitting slowing down of kite or wing loading against gravity and line pull or AoA changes due to apparent wind (in 3d) changes, just for simplicity to get somewhere....

I think I remember you stating (maybe 5+ years ago) about jump height that max. height what can be jumped (potentional energy) cannot exceed kinetic energy at lift-off. Well if we calculate 30m (woo-meter) jump it means 24m/s aka 86km/h lift-off speeds on energy equation. Which is fairly impossible on high curved TT. So real truth is wind making more work on airfoil-kiter system.

--

If you need more accuracy on calcs, start with - my calcs are like "simple kite model" -level or under :D :
https://uis.brage.unit.no/uis-xmlui/bit ... sequence=1

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:30 pm

I dropped the 8 in the worst possible conditions yesterday, but managed to get it up really fast. Offshore pretty far out on the 3rd sandbank, board gone, very cold here now.
It still feels to me that I can realistically only do this with the smaller peaks. The 11 just doesn't catch air and relaunch without a complete reset. And a reset, without a board and with a nasty current swimming in a drysuit is never going to happen.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Dude.... don’t do that! Scary as hell!

Got the 6m in my hot little hands and rigged on a 5 line 22m standard chicken loop set up for winter. Flew it once in 12 knots.

It’s a nice size up from the 5. Looks and feels just right. Bout a 9m lei equivalent. Plenty quick and workable for juice. Can’t wait for more snow.

Less than a year ago I was all LEI all the time. Would have never believed I’d be on foil kites!!!

How things change! Peaks are all I wanna fly now. Found my niche and my quiver is complete.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 am

I am considering purchasing a PEAK as a go-to light wind Hydrofoil Kite. I regularly fly LEI surf kites. I want the peak to be able to go in 7-12 knots and more or less replace my 14m single strut that I have at the minute. Would an 8m peak be the equivalent to an 11/12m LEI?

Return to “Foil Kites”