Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:36 pm

Foil_Adict wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:11 pm
Curious, how does the 13 handle riding swell down wind in 8 to 10 mph winds?
I am 100KG and my 8 m Peak replaced my larger cloud. I am going to go against the grain and say that being the owner of a Peak 5M, 8M, and 13M that I love them all. For normal size guys, maybe the larger kites are not for them, but for me, I ride swell with my 8M all the time. Is it as fun as the 5? Of course not, but I am riding the 8M in winds that are 4-5 knots higher than the other guys and I love riding the swell here in Florida with it and I find it plenty maneuverable. My13M with the huge infinity 99 Wing allows me to ride in a little under 10knots and for this big guy, is all I can ask for.
At that wind we usually have minimal swell, and my overall speed is much slower also, but as long I don't outrun the kite very much, she is very well-behaved. Because she is slower, I tend to start my turns a little sooner and let the kite get going the other way a little more before I turn my board. I tend to also do more kite loops with her to keep the lines tensioned up. With low wind speeds, I don't like slack lines when I am transitioning. I also find that if i keep her moving, that she is fun for a super slow speed down winder.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:13 am

Does anyone have enough experience with the 6m Peak to comment on the wind range? There seems to be an opinion that the low end for the 6m is around 10 knots for 80 kg (+ or -) rider. Anyone venture an opinion on the comfortable high end? What I am interested in is whether there is a decent overlap with the 4m?

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi there,

it seems, most people are interested only in small Oeaks for hydrofoil ;) But I wanted something very different and did some tests with a Peak 4 13m.

My goal was, to be able to ride in the very, very lowest wind conditions on land. Using a longboard on asphalt. I tried this for a few days now, here is my experience:

It is possible to ride with the Peak 4 / 13m as soon, as my windmeter shows "stable" wind above ~2 knots. The kite will not fly stable in this wind, but it's possible to "hotlaunch" by pulling center line, get going with the Longboard and turn upwind, but you have to be very quick. The moment you are moving slightly upwind, the apperent wind will be enough to ride. Going downwind is very difficult, I need ~4 knots for that.

BUT the 13m Single Skin is definitely not generating more power than a 12m closed cell (I am using Pansh Aurora). I first managed to ride in these conditions with the Peak. But after a few days of practise I am now able to ride with the Aurora in those conditions, too. In the end, I liked riding the closed cell kite better:

Again, this is in very, very low wind (2..3 knots)!!!

Peak 4 13m
- easy to start by walking a few steps into the wind
- very difficult to relaunch, have to walk to the kite every time and put it in a good position for relaunch
- in case of an error, loosing tensions in the lines, the Peak will "collapse" completely. Fall down and will NOT be relaunchable at all. (again in very low wind)
- The Peak will not generate power when looping or moving in these conditions, it's only enough to keep it flying
- I CAN ride along in apperent wind, but I won't get faster, no build up of power
Aurora 2 12m (in same conditions very low conditions)
- difficult to get it launching/flying at first, as it need to be filled with air. You need a pump and/or some running to get it filled.
- as soon, as it IS filled, easy to relaunch
- it is MORE stable in the air, as it won't collapse as easy. Can go through lulls better.
- as it has more weight/inertia can generate more power from moving and looping
- can build up power from riding, the faster I get, the more power I get so I can build up more speed.

As soon as it is stable 4..5 knots it's very different, the Peak 13m will fly perfectly stable from 4 knots up. As will my Aurora 12m. In this higher wind range, I is still more fun to ride the Aurora, as I can ride a lot faster. But the Peak will be a lot easiert to handle. But considering the price (Peak is ~3x the price of Aurora) I will stick with Aurora for now.

Hope that helps :)

Regards,
- Oliver
These users thanked the author Smeagle for the post:
PugetSoundKiter (Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:01 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:13 am
Does anyone have enough experience with the 6m Peak to comment on the wind range? There seems to be an opinion that the low end for the 6m is around 10 knots for 80 kg (+ or -) rider. Anyone venture an opinion on the comfortable high end? What I am interested in is whether there is a decent overlap with the 4m?

Have you gotten second thoughts on the 5 m2 you got 5 pages ago?

Or do you like it so much, that you like all of us, want more of these :rollgrin:

8) Peter

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:11 pm

Our regional shop now has the 6m in stock. If his 5 is unopened, could likely swap.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:26 pm

Flyboy wrote:
..What I am interested in is whether there is a decent overlap with the 4m?
I have at least as much experience with the 6 m² (apart from my 3; 4; 5 m²) that I am sure the 6 m² is just a 6 m² (or more likely a 6,5 as the others seem to be 5,5; 4,5; 4,0; 3,0 m²; see my later posts) What I want to say is, there is no special about the 6 m² so you may extrapolate yourself what your personal wind range will be if you already have one size, and for sure better than anybody else here, not knowing your equipment and skill, can. The only magic about the 6 m² is that it is the missing size, that has a bit more power than the 5 m² but is still much closer to its playfullness then to the (to me) boring big sizes.

Even if I actually have all small sizes I mostly just used 3 and 5 m² and felt the gap to be ok. So as the relativ step between 4 and 6 is even smaller, for me I have no doupt to be happy with just those two and think about to also switch to this, in my quiver newer 4 and 6 m², as I start to go winging in higher winds anyway ... just not sure if I could live without the great 3 m² ... hard first world decissions :roll:
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post (total 2):
Flyboy (Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:08 am) • irwe (Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:36 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:57 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:01 pm
Flyboy wrote:

Have you gotten second thoughts on the 5 m2 you got 5 pages ago?

Or do you like it so much, that you like all of us, want more of these :rollgrin:

8) Peter
Haven't used the 5m yet. Worried I've put on so much weight in the holiday season I'll need the 6m instead of the 5m. :cry:

I think, ultimately, 6m/4m combo would cover 95% of foiling I'm likely to be doing. 5m is clearly the best choice for one kite, but would possibly be lacking on the bottom end on some days. This last year I used 8m & 6m LEI's almost all the time - for foiling in 10 - 18 knots & with a SB in 18 knots - 28 knots. I'm extrapolating that 6m Peak would cover a similar range as an 8m/9m LEI & the 4m Peak similar to a 6m LEI. And, as JTS says, the Peak 6m has become available locally a bit earlier than expected. I think f there is a reasonable amount of overlap between the 6m & 4m Peaks that seems like a good combo going forward.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:03 am

I know I pushed the 5m on you and hope I haven't pushed you to a poor choice. I think the 6/4 would absolutely cover a huge range with plenty of overlap in their fun zone. A set of short lines for the 4m and your pretty good into serious wind. You should do what you initially wanted to and cover the full range instead of the middle of it. Hope you can swap.

Start with the 6m and if you like it, consider the 4. Definitely my favourite (same seasonally elevated weight as you!).

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:21 am

I'd like to reiterate a point i have made at least a couple of times in this thread. The reason that the larger peak4s lose their magic is this:

Even though all of the peaks can fly very well with good control in only a few knots, or maybe only a couple knots... in light wind you can only go straight downwind so fast until you exceed the minimum wind in which the kite can still operate.

So, for riding waves on a foilboard, which lei or foil kite even compares when the wind gets really light?

I now have the 4,5,8,11m.

I just got the 3, but have not tried it yet.

In my opinion, the 5 hits the point where it feels like magic. The 4 is pure bliss.

Sorry i have not tried the 6, but I have had a session on the 8 where I was not overpowered at all, until I got on the wave and couldn't do a damn thing... I switched to the 5 and really struggled to even get going but once I did, I had one of my best sessions ever.

So, the 6 probably has a place for hydrofoilers.

I have lots of experience kiteboarding, but for for sure I am not the most skilled guy out there, and I only have about 2 years experience with hydrofoiling.

The bigger peak4s are super easy to fly and will stay up in hardly any wind, but if you are skilled, then in light wind with no waves you can probably get better performance out of something else.

But in the waves? What works better under 10-12 knots?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:29 am

Nothing works to date below 10 IMO..

5 is at sweetspot at 12.

6 works well in 10

In less wind, I haven't seen anything work in waves :-?

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
jumptheshark (Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”