Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:07 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 pm
4 lines are probably fine in the flats but for riding up a mountain or landing the kite when the wind suddenly gets too much the 5th line is so much better. I used to use the 4m peak on a 4 line bar but then got another 5 line connect bar for safety.
Im riding in mountain - often quite challenging. Can anybody show on video high wind 5th line land/reride For my it never work tangle and spin free - thats why i use 4 lines - more reliable pack and reride - which you must often use in challenging terrain - sometimes you must overcome places with no wind or wind from wrong direction /ie. direct downhill - when you want go uphill/

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:20 pm

junebug wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:04 pm
I know the Flysurfer Connect Bar is a high Y bar. Does anyone have experience using a low V bar with the Peak 4? Does it make a difference?
No
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
junebug (Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:38 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:07 pm

Im riding in mountain - often quite challenging. Can anybody show on video high wind 5th line land/reride For my it never work tangle and spin free - thats why i use 4 lines - more reliable pack and reride - which you must often use in challenging terrain - sometimes you must overcome places with no wind or wind from wrong direction /ie. direct downhill - when you want go uphill/
Funny, I would have thought the 5th line was ideal for the type of on and off again terrain your talking about. So far in exposed open wind, Ive had no issues with the 5th. Pull in a foot or so and the kite sort of just loses power but is mostly in shape and controllable from the bar. Stall it backward like you would 4 line but without fear of it surging if you let off the bar. Once close to the ground, pull in up to a couple meters of 5th an it will fully bunch up and sit on its TE. Pull in too much and its basically a ball that could probably rotate, but keep it just shy of that still as a rectangle and it just sits there. If you know your just going to relaunch in a bit, you can cleat off my 5th and just wind up to the kite getting most of the bridle wrapped onto the bar (up to the thin grey lines) roll it tip to tip getting the bridle in the kite and trailing out the TE, Suff it in a sack. You can then reverse the process by sort of drifting it out as you unwind the lines (provided there is enough wind) and pop it up by finally releasing the 5th.

Have only done this once, but it was pretty easy and quite windy both for taking it down and putting it back up in reverse.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 am

I havent use original FS bar but only difference from my POV was low V /on my bar/ vs Y on FS. It was either too much rest pull - with too little 5th "travel" or just shapeless ball with quite a mess from left to right side pulley tangles.
My reasoning was that reride /ozone name for internal line to unshape kite/ will not work with single skin same as with closed cell and never seeing any video with proper land reride even from FS i was thought that it just doesnt work.
Anyway im proficient now with 4 lines. Anyway apparently there was something wrong with my setup. How much release travel there is on FS fith?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:21 am

What size and what kind of wind?

Messed around with reride in 10-15 knots until the snow got sticky.. :( Winter is super fickle ! Fresh snow, sun plenty of wind and warms up just a bit too much. Snow gets about as slippery as sand! So sad.

Riding was crap but I dropped it and popped it back up a half dozen times. Should film it for you. Pull in 30-50 cm to kill the kite but keep control, It won't fly forward, but is responsive enough to control the stall to downwind and pull in another 1-1.5 m to get it to sit there. Let it back out nice and controlled for stress free reride.

I'll let you know what happens when I end up bailing and it goes to 5th loaded as a safety. I expect won't be too bad, but never say never.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:49 am

As said on page 196: Still not ready to give you precise tips for retrimming your older Peaks, but just reporting a bit of the progress.
If you want, at this stage, anybody may try to use the info themself.
But I still recommend to wait for my own final trim recommendations. I have measured 5x Peaks till now: 3-preserial; 4; 2x5; 6 m²
Peak4-Line-Shrinking_6m-new_5m-medium_5m-high-use.png
Peak4-Line-Shrinking_6m-new_5m-medium_5m-high-use.png (28.36 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
The picture shows in the row:
- one time used 6 m²
- my about 40 times used 5 m² but well cared and slightly retrimmed from 2018
- another heavily used 5 m² significant out of shape

All measured without mixer under about 1,2 kg load per line with +/-2 mm, while FS recommends 5 kg, which I don't use, as it would not fit my final demand to reach for an as good as new trimm for long.

Again, I wont comment this half way step much further, just don't want to hide existing half way results, and hope to come with a whole Peak4 trimm guide in the next weeks. :bye:
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
seppalord (Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:45 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:49 am
The picture shows in the row:
- one time used 6 m²
- my about 40 times used 5 m² but well cared and slightly retrimmed from 2018
- another heavily used 5 m² significant out of shape

All measured without mixer under about 1,2 kg load per line with +/-2 mm, while FS recommends 5 kg, which I don't use, as it would not fit my final demand to reach for an as good as new trimm for long.
Great stuff making it graphical. Just wondering on last kite out-of-tune -colours. Should every color be relative, I understand you have colored against factory lenght. But for trimming relative length A-B-C-Z and a1-ax ... matters?

So with relative measuring my plan is to use lineplan, calculate off-sets and mark offset to line with marker. Like a1-a2, a2 should be 8mm shorter, so then measure relatively pulling both lines (A1 is same reference load point, and later AI etc upto mixer top) and check that A1 knot hits A2's -8mm mark. Or maybe even not the knot, but the sewed kite attached loop to overcome tuning by LCL if you add multiple LCL or multiple larks head.

It is a sort of variation to Flysurfer long mixer test, but with full kite.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:26 pm

Hi Horst.

Appreciate all this work, and likely will really appreciate it once my peaks have more hours on them!

are you representing only the grey lines that make up the bridle in this graphic?

Are the span lines that run along the A and B cascade represented/important?

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:31 pm

Hi. In this short video I show you how the Peak 4 13 m performs in ultra marginal wind conditions.

Cheers

Carlo
These users thanked the author haiku for the post (total 2):
LeoLeal (Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:10 pm) • loco4viento (Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:18 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:41 pm

Have you or anyone else in the group tried going to a larger volume board to get going in even more marginal conditions? I am 100KG and use a board that is 32L. I was curious to see if I went to say 50-60L or more if that would help on the water start

Return to “Foil Kites”