Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby airsail » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:46 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:30 pm
bitxopalo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:37 pm
Maybe the new version of the peak will has this Two features...

Closed LE and 5th line.

But the current Peak4 GOT a 5th line :thumb:

Although, if you dont snowkite, I think we all have removed it, as not needed for anything :naughty:

Closed LE will be heavier, and somehow interfere with the superfast rig and land and packdown, so not sure it can be seen as a benefit only...

8) Peter
But you would have to agree a Peak designed for water use would have a much larger market if they can keep a similar price point. The world is covered in water and only partially by snow and not all water users have a nice coastline to swim in when the occasional crash and relaunch fail happens.
Our local had 4 Peak users, it’s now down to one, just not suitable for a rocky coastline.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 pm

Every Single person at the beach asks "is that a Peak? I love that, but what if your crash?"

Every time. If they made the Peak 5 partly closed cell and redesigned a few details for water they would sell a lot more for sure.

The opening of the tips that dumps water should be moved to the trailing edge so its easier to reset the kite when drowned. If 3 cells would be closed its enough to keep the kite floating in nearly all conditions.

I often wonder, what if the kite had a single strut but low pressure in the middle with a vent halfway. It would reduce flapping and folding and would be enough to keep the kite high in the water trailing edge down or for reset. Kind of like the tips but with a one way flap like some kites have. Even the 5th line safety would still work.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:30 am

The subject of what if your Peak4 crashes in the water reminds me of the old adage of product choice. Good, Fast, Cheap, you can only pick two.

I think it's a bit the same with the Peak4 into the future, you can choose the characteristics you want but there will be a compromise in the choices you make. Just like a Aluula based LEI kite, it's fast, good quality but definitely not cheap. You may have the option of a water relaunchable Peak4 derivative but it may lose some of the responsiveness and drift that make it so much fun.

I may be wrong but we won't know for sure until Flysurfer brings out the next version of the Peak series. Also I don't think many Peak4 users would be willing to compromise any of the current characteristics just for the sake of water relaunchability, myself included.

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:00 am

Maybe next flysurfer step will be lauch an hibrid kite. And let the peak as is now.

Two different ways... Not to loose anything

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:13 pm

bitxopalo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:00 am
Maybe next flysurfer step will be lauch an hibrid kite. And let the peak as is now.

I suspect you're right. For one thing, the Peak is still considered a snow kite, so no logic in changing it to be "water-relaunchable". No idea how much a closed - or partly closed - LE would change the flying characteristics. It does seem logical that some closed cells in the LE would allow it to float above the water better which would make it easier to water launch.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:19 pm

According to their homepage, ginkite will bring out a new version of the marabou soon. Marabou looks alot like a peak with a closed leading edge. There is also a kite by skycountry called hysper with similar concept, which is reviewed on lesfoilz.
These users thanked the author lederhosen for the post:
geron (Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:45 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:13 pm
bitxopalo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:00 am

I suspect you're right. For one thing, the Peak is still considered a snow kite, so no logic in changing it to be "water-relaunchable". No idea how much a closed - or partly closed - LE would change the flying characteristics. It does seem logical that some closed cells in the LE would allow it to float above the water better which would make it easier to water launch.
I bet that Peak4 sell MORE for Hydrofoilers than a Snowkit's. What are your thoughts?

mirza23454
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: sfbay mostly 3rd/coyote
Gear: Mostly surf/wave/carve oriented kites/boards/foils
Has thanked: 0

Postby mirza23454 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 pm

I would be confused if adding water relaunch compromised the Peak’s flying performance in some significant way, eg by adding weight. If you’re flying a Peak today, you accept the tradeoff as is because its performance is worth it. I haven’t tried the Marabou though!

I have not flown double skin foil kites myself, but I have seen a few of them crash, fill up with water, and then be impossible to relaunch or swim with or otherwise do anything much other than hope for a rescue. One amazing thing about the Peak is just how easy it is to recover and reset from the water, so an inflatable Peak could lose that benefit.

Couple other unrelated notes after a season with the Peak:

- in light wind, if you put the peak at noon in the window it drifts well, if you put it at 2 o clock and then put slack in the lines, it does not drift but instead folds and collapses, but can still recover if you ride upwind to tighten the lines. Keep it high when drifting with slack lines!

- I’ve had good success with deep water reset drift launch even in swell where I lose sight of the drifting kite, but it’s important to check the bridles are clear (back lines can tangle on pulleys) and the bar is clear (back lines can tangle on the trim cleat) before unwrapping and launching. I have ended up relaunching with inverted lines and it still flies well, but not sure how to check for that yet.
These users thanked the author mirza23454 for the post:
jumptheshark (Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:15 pm

It would certainly be interesting to see what Flysurfer could do with a hybrid kite based on the Peak4. As the Peaks were designed initially only with snow kiting in mind, you would think that Flysurfer could take the pluses of Peak design & tweak them for hydrofoil use.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 pm

mirza23454 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 pm
I would be confused if adding water relaunch compromised the Peak’s flying performance in some significant way, eg by adding weight. If you’re flying a Peak today, you accept the tradeoff as is because its performance is worth it. I haven’t tried the Marabou though!

I have not flown double skin foil kites myself, but I have seen a few of them crash, fill up with water, and then be impossible to relaunch or swim with or otherwise do anything much other than hope for a rescue. One amazing thing about the Peak is just how easy it is to recover and reset from the water, so an inflatable Peak could lose that benefit.

Couple other unrelated notes after a season with the Peak:

- in light wind, if you put the peak at noon in the window it drifts well, if you put it at 2 o clock and then put slack in the lines, it does not drift but instead folds and collapses, but can still recover if you ride upwind to tighten the lines. Keep it high when drifting with slack lines!

- I’ve had good success with deep water reset drift launch even in swell where I lose sight of the drifting kite, but it’s important to check the bridles are clear (back lines can tangle on pulleys) and the bar is clear (back lines can tangle on the trim cleat) before unwrapping and launching. I have ended up relaunching with inverted lines and it still flies well, but not sure how to check for that yet.
For sure, when the wind is light having the weight of the bridle hanging straight down from the kite serves to keep a minimum of line tension where, when the kite is lower they droop and corrupt it’s shape.

Bar and line management in water is key too. Wrap as clean as possible with no line tension all the way to the grey. Hold it way out to the side and reverse exactly and fast enough to avoid ever tensioning the lines before the very last and your unwrap will go smoothly. Accidentally tension while drifting and the outer lines bite in and it’s more of a pain in the ass from there.

Return to “Foil Kites”