Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby bitxopalo » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:07 am

Thanks for your interest Sceotend.

If you are happy with the 8m it would be better not to change...
I did it cos somedays my kite was continously folding wingtips.

About your comments :

When you move C level , B also moves (half distance). once C is on place, you can change B, then C wont move.
This is why I said C is independent from B, in the manual they also start with C level.

I use common plan knot to trim
M. If it is not enough for your 8m try and "eight knot"

Anyway i never had a P4 8m. Had the 11m but unluckily I never tried this mod.

Let us know if it solves the wingtip issue on the 8 m :thumb:
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
Sceotend (Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Re: New 5m Peak4 constantt flapping

Postby joriws » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:03 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:07 pm
watercamper wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:40 pm
I've flown my new 5m now abt 5 times. Wind speeds were in the range of maybe 10knts to 20. It doesn't just flutter. It's like I'm holding a jackhammer. It seems to have a very small sweet spot where this motion stops. I've made sure that all my line lengths on my control bar are equal. What else can I do? The new 4m I bought doesn't have this issue; just the occasional flapping.
It is normal for a 5m peak to flutter in 20kn. The 4m should be better for that wind. I think you are right with the smaller sweetspot. The windrange of singleskins is smaller.
Yesterday I snowkited on hard snow/ice with Peak4 5m on 10-ming average wind 13m/s and 3s gust 17m/s. No issues with the Peak, not overpowered or really nothing. Just riding it and tossing the Peak around with loops etc. Used FS connect Y-bar with full line length. Last summer with hydrofoil and V-bar I had tip stability problems with much less wind. So I still tend to believe V vs Y makes the difference at least on my Peak, but naturally I cannot rule out undetected bridle loop.

But comment about the wing range being small for SS. No, there are not many kites you can use 2m/s to 17m/s (taking the gust speed which is 3s wind average, max value for 10minute period).. Friend with LEIs used 6m at the same time. And on the bottom end he would have been on his 4th LEI (16, 12, 8, 6) or actually on his X-19 foilkite, so he uses 5 kites for the range.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:32 pm

The windrange comments about Peaks are somewhat misleading. As I've mentioned I can use a 4m and 3m Peak4 from 12 knots to 30 knots of consistent wind at 67kg on a 1000 sq cm surf foil. Thats a pretty large wind range. I use 21m lines except in high wind when I drop to 14m lines.
It's when you get below 12 knots that you have to make more choices depending on your weight, foil etc. For me that's a 5m Peak4 which tends to be limited when the wind is so light that it's hard to keep the kite in the air in gybes.

And strangely enough I have another foiler at my beach with identical board, foil and 4m & 5m Peak4 kite but weighs around 100kg and he can foil in virtually the same wind as me, maybe needs one more knot of wind.

A good foil setup with Peak kites is a very affordable setup which can cover a very wide wind range. And don't discount the impact of shorter lines in high winds. They take away virtually any flapping.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:38 pm

drsurf wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:32 pm
The windrange comments about Peaks are somewhat misleading. As I've mentioned I can use a 4m and 3m Peak4 from 12 knots to 30 knots of consistent wind at 67kg on a 1000 sq cm surf foil. Thats a pretty large wind range. I use 21m lines except in high wind when I drop to 14m lines.
It's when you get below 12 knots that you have to make more choices depending on your weight, foil etc. For me that's a 5m Peak4 which tends to be limited when the wind is so light that it's hard to keep the kite in the air in gybes.

And strangely enough I have another foiler at my beach with identical board, foil and 4m & 5m Peak4 kite but weighs around 100kg and he can foil in virtually the same wind as me, maybe needs one more knot of wind.

A good foil setup with Peak kites is a very affordable setup which can cover a very wide wind range. And don't discount the impact of shorter lines in high winds. They take away virtually any flapping.
I am using all my Peak4s - 6m, 5m & 4m with 20m lines. The 20m lines seem appropriate with the 6m & 5m. The 4m seems like a long way away with 20m lines . The 20m lines add to the low end viability of the 4m, but seem like overkill in the higher wind range of the 4m. I'm thinking of making 14m lines which, together with 3m extensions will give me the option to fly 14m, 17m & 20m lengths. Does that seem like a good plan?

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:18 pm

[/quote]

I'm thinking of making 14m lines which, together with 3m extensions will give me the option to fly 14m, 17m & 20m lengths. Does that seem like a good plan?
[/quote]

Very good plan!

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 am

drsurf wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:32 pm
The windrange comments about Peaks are somewhat misleading. As I've mentioned I can use a 4m and 3m Peak4 from 12 knots to 30 knots of consistent wind at 67kg on a 1000 sq cm surf foil. Thats a pretty large wind range.
Sure, and as I tried to mention about snowkiting usage as started "Yesterday I was snowkiting". Naturally on water and HF the low end is different due to insufficient impulse on water start.

And top end experience on HF I had tip tucking on V-bar, but experienced none in Y-bar (winter and summer). And this 13/17m/s aka 26-34kn roughly was my ultimate top-end test. As skis on packed snow/ice is as little drag as HF so I think stability assumption is similar.

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 pm

I did some test with Low and high V bars. But just in the same sessions, test on different sessions could lead to wrong results.

I found no difference changing from low to high V, when I get wingtips folding.

IMO the problem is caused by turbulent wind... Even at low wind speed (12-14knt) but is more frecuent in high winds.

On a previous post, you can find a "how to" avoid wingtips folds.... If in your spot you have this problem.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:39 pm

If you're looking for a new bar for your Peak kites because your current bars are a a bit crap, consider getting the Flysurfer Connect bar which was designed for the Peak kites. The Connect bar is relatively inexpensive, lightweight, simple and can be used at 21m, or 14m by removing the 7m extensions :thumb:

watercamper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 146
Local Beach: US: the Columbia river Gorge, lower Columbia river, Oregon coast. Mexico: La Ventana (Rasta beach in El Sargento) BCS
Style: Foil mostly, Surf, TT on the ocean
Gear: Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8 UFO V2; 3, 9m V1.1
Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8,9m SST
Flysurfer Peak4, 4, 5, 6, 8: Peak5, 4
Flysurfer Hybrid 3.5
Naish Pivot 8,9m
Liquid Force Mission Control bars modified for foil with Infexion seat belt, DIY lines
Ocean Rodeo click bar
Lift Classic 150, 101 cm mast
Sabfoil W590/S330, 101 cm mast; W550/S325; W679/S483
Slingshot 2020 107cm micro Dwarf Craft board strapless, 11 liter
Slingshot 2022 100 cm Dwarf Craft, strapless, 11 liter
4'10" Firewire Evo Helium
Cabrinha 137 n 141 Tronic
Mystic, Ion, O'Neill, Buell, Patagonia, Pro-Tec, Liros, Infexion

Postby watercamper » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:09 pm

Isn't the connect bar 5 line, high V only? Also, is there a surf loop like Duotone has for a CL replacement? Or do you have to use a ring on your rooe slider?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:36 pm

drsurf wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:39 pm
If you're looking for a new bar for your Peak kites because your current bars are a a bit crap, consider getting the Flysurfer Connect bar which was designed for the Peak kites. The Connect bar is relatively inexpensive, lightweight, simple and can be used at 21m, or 14m by removing the 7m extensions :thumb:
I'm using an old crap bar for foiling with the Peaks - it's an old Liquid Force CPR bar. I like it as it's light & simple. The QR is a bit dodgy, & I don't use it for powered up SB riding, but I'm using them very underpowered for foiling & hardly any risk of serious power spike - can always dump the Peaks in the water. I have noticed, when using a borrowed bar, that using a bar with a different "feel" can be quite distracting, perhaps because the inputs with the Peaks are so "understated".

Return to “Foil Kites”