For all foil kite riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:13 pm

Mikroorganism wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:51 pm
Hi. Newbie to the foil game here. I'm thinking about a peak4 5m or 6m to get out when winds are light. My current quiver only let's me foil when it's 7 m/s or above (14 knots). I'm 68 kg and have a 1500 cm surf wing and want to open up for foiling in as light winds as possible.

Which peak size would you recommend to me? I first thought 6m would let me ride in lower winds but I've heard ppl say the 5 might be just as good
1500 cm2 at 68 kg seems like a really big wing, so I'm not sure how much difference that makes (at 82 kg I'm using a 1000 cm2 wing). If your goal is to foil in really light wind (under 10 knots), I would go with the 6m. However, I'm guessing that at your weight & with that large wing you could probably be foiling in 10 knots with the 5m.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:36 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:13 pm
1500 cm2 at 68 kg seems like a really big wing, so I'm not sure how much difference that makes (at 82 kg I'm using a 1000 cm2 wing).
I'm 75 kg and use a 1500 sqcm wing with 5m & 6m.

6m: 8-14 knots, 10 knots sweet spot.
5m: 8-18 knots, 12 knots sweet spot.

Below 10 knots the 5m is no fun, just a work out while the 6m is still worthwhile.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 pm

Onda wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 am
drsurf wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 pm
Onda wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 am
Hey experts!
I own a 5 and 8 m² Peak. Use the 5 m² for wave foiling in small waves (maximum hip high).
I´m thinking about getting the 4 m² as well for our wind-generated waves. On the other hand: I can use my 5 m² Core Section from where the 5 m² Peak becomes uncomfortable. The Section in say 16-25 kts is drifting well enough to go down a smallish wave. It is not as good as a Peak, for sure. But the stronger the wind, the smaller the problem of falling kites when going down the line / the wave face.
Do you think the 4 m Peak still makes sense?
Hi Onda.
If you had tried the 4m Peak4 you wouldn't be asking this question. Probably the most fun kite in the range with a wide wind range as well.
Get the 4m Peak4 and don't be surprised if you use it more than you think you would. You won't regret it :D
Ordered the 4 m² now... Couldn´t help :D

BTW, you-love-it.eu sells the Peaks for really good prices. Really, really good... Much lower than the usual used offers on ebay.
Good luck, hope you'll get it :thumb:

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:44 pm

When you get a 4m… you’re probably thinking of the 3m.. 8)
And yes it’s good :D

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 am

Janus wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:44 pm
When you get a 4m… you’re probably thinking of the 3m.. 8)
And yes it’s good :D

I love my 3m more than my 4m :)

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:25 pm

omg wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 pm
Onda wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 am
drsurf wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Hi Onda.
If you had tried the 4m Peak4 you wouldn't be asking this question. Probably the most fun kite in the range with a wide wind range as well.
Get the 4m Peak4 and don't be surprised if you use it more than you think you would. You won't regret it :D
Ordered the 4 m² now... Couldn´t help :D

BTW, you-love-it.eu sells the Peaks for really good prices. Really, really good... Much lower than the usual used offers on ebay.
Good luck, hope you'll get it :thumb:
Good point indeed!
I´ll pick it up in the shop. Only paid 50 % in advance. So the risk is acceptable :)

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am

Shortening of steering lines. I have heard that some find that the Peak 4 performs better with shortened steering lines. Is this just for light wind? By how much? I suppose that it makes sense that it would depend on the size og the kite. And what overall line lenght do you guys use per size?

codifilo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby codifilo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am

jbrodin wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am
Shortening of steering lines. I have heard that some find that the Peak 4 performs better with shortened steering lines. Is this just for light wind? By how much? I suppose that it makes sense that it would depend on the size og the kite. And what overall line lenght do you guys use per size?
You can also extend the power lines by attaching pigtails between 5 and 10 cm long depending on your liking.
The result is that the kite will stall when you sheet in completely. This is helpful to make the kite quickly pivot without a pull.
If you don't want to stall the kite then you don't have to make any modifications to a 4 line equal length bar. The kite will fly fine.
These users thanked the author codifilo for the post:
jbrodin (Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:47 pm

codifilo wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am
jbrodin wrote:
You can also extend the power lines by attaching pigtails between 5 and 10 cm long depending on your liking.
The result is that the kite will stall when you sheet in completely. This is helpful to make the kite quickly pivot without a pull.
If you don't want to stall the kite then you don't have to make any modifications to a 4 line equal length bar. The kite will fly fine.
Fly te kite on standard lines (equal) and see where you have the point of good power while riding (just a little tension on the backlines) and see how your arm is positioned.. you will probably see you have to bend your arm too much.. now look where you want to put your arm while riding relaxed.. the difference is more or less the amount to shorten backlines (or lengthen the frontlines)
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
jbrodin (Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:39 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:19 pm

jbrodin wrote:

Personal liking only.

One can not say it "performs better" with shortened steering lines, make no sense to make such a statement.

But some, like me, like to fly the kite at its sweetspot when sheeted out quite a lot, so when carving or riding waves, you can lean forward into the turns without having to bend your arm towards you (NOT good), and without the kite flapping.

Of course, in light wind you have to sheet the bar even further out in order to start, but this goes for all kites - so just the opposite direction.

Being able to pull the bar and put the kite in every desired position is also gold for me - besides for the fun "pinwheeling" you can make for fun, and a surprise for most other riders.

So with the standard bar, the first thing I did was to move the rearlines to the most inner knots at the bars (or make new knots? Cant remember).

I use 21 m lines with 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 m2, longer doesnt give you anything IMO, and shorter reduces the handling area.
But I know some use a lot shorter lines, and like it.

Only in the 8 m2, I always use 27-28 m lines, as shorter simply doesnt work IMO, and the 6 will start almost at the same time with shorter lines so makes no sense.

For average weights that is :naughty:

At least my experiences.

:thumb: Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
jbrodin (Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:40 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”