jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 pm

Have only had the 6m out on water once so far and from what I can tell.... there wont be much wave riding. 10-13 knots is generally pretty flat to teeny tiny little one foot wind swell. Have had a full season on the 5m and plenty of those sessions were near flat too. Am pretty sure I'm not going to get a lot of waves on the 6m.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:16 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 pm
Have only had the 6m out on water once so far and from what I can tell.... there wont be much wave riding. 10-13 knots is generally pretty flat to teeny tiny little one foot wind swell. Have had a full season on the 5m and plenty of those sessions were near flat too. Am pretty sure I'm not going to get a lot of waves on the 6m.
Yeah - there are some places, of course, that have waves without much wind. Not around here though. :-?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:50 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:16 pm

Yeah - there are some places, of course, that have waves without much wind. Not around here though. :-?
Even a Peak4 or Alulla Nano Cloud needs 3-4 knots apparent wind to fly. At 11 knots true wind you're downwind vmg is limited to 6-7 knots to keep the kite in the air. The average beach break moves along at around 6-8 knots so it could only really work in side-side off conditions.

Bottom line, not likely much wave riding going on with the 6m Peak4.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun May 02, 2021 9:02 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:43 am
4 was my favorite size until I got the 3...

On the peak bridle, the lines are very thin, but the bridle is super simple for a foil unless you want to compare it to a 2-line foil kite.

Just keep in mind that the ideal water use is for riding waves and swell with a hydrofoil.

Although they are easy to fly, even in not enough wind to ride, the downsides are that the upwind performance is not very good, and you should not really expect to be able to relaunch if you crash the kite.
interesting...

the 3 was my favorite kite...until i got the 4m.

i used to also use LOONG(close to 30m) lines (i think a little shellshocked from a breaking wave once swallowing the kite mid-loop.).. but these peak4s are awesome on 12m racing lines.

Return to “Foil Kites”