Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
foursquare
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay Area:

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe Lagoon (BZ), Castles (HI)
Style: Foil
Gear: Ozone Wings, Armstrong Foils, Flysurfer & Slingshot Kites

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby foursquare » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:59 pm

surfbird wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:24 pm
foursquare wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:36 pm
So I've searched the thread multiple times on line lengths, but am confused on a few things. I've flown my 8m a few times in 9-12kts, but on my most recent session did have the kite invert on a turn and plummet into the water.

So, im interested in removing the 7m extensions and trying it on 14m short lines. Anyone have any riding notes on this?

Also, the bridles and line rigging with B-Safe is a bit of a headache. Is there a way to safely fly without it?

Thanks!
Im using 14meter lines on my 4m. Works so good :-)
I dont think it will improve inverted kite though.

I removed all the B-safe lines, even the bridles. Personally I think it flies better without them. Flags good enough on a single flagging line.
I know that they supposed to add rigidy to the foil, but for me it works better.
But i thought the flagging mechanism on the connect bar only flags to the B-Safe? Is there an alternative way to rig it to one of the flying lines?

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby surfbird » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:13 pm

I'm not using that bar. Don't know anything about that. Sorry I missed that.

I recommend using a more kite-foil oriented bar, think most here do.
Mine is a brm bar, no need for trim.
Most bars flag on one front line.

foursquare
Rare Poster

e.g. Treasure Island, Crissy Field, Berkeley, Toll Plaza, 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island

Postby foursquare » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 pm

surfbird wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:13 pm

Yep... it took a while to get my first peak, and i had planned on using it in the snow, so went with the conventional connect bar. Having just shortened the lines this afternoon im eager to try the 14m short lines with the 8m Peak4. IMO - this may help me cross the wind-window faster to keep tension in the kite, while also just being a bit easier to launch/land at some small spots near me. Also, having become more familiar with the connect bar connections, I can see a relatively easy retrofit to potentially remove the B-Safe system via a captive ring-to-ring to one of the front lines, for a more conventional flagging method.

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:02 pm

foursquare wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 pm
surfbird wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:13 pm

Yep... it took a while to get my first peak, and i had planned on using it in the snow, so went with the conventional connect bar. Having just shortened the lines this afternoon im eager to try the 14m short lines with the 8m Peak4. IMO - this may help me cross the wind-window faster to keep tension in the kite, while also just being a bit easier to launch/land at some small spots near me. Also, having become more familiar with the connect bar connections, I can see a relatively easy retrofit to potentially remove the B-Safe system via a captive ring-to-ring to one of the front lines, for a more conventional flagging method.
Report back how it works!
I found the 4m get so much better on short lines, much more direct feel.

foursquare
Rare Poster

Postby foursquare » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:10 am

So i tried the 14m lines with the 8m in 12kts today and it was definitely better - crossing the window faster to give more continuous pull through the gybe and prevent a backstall. Still not convinced that at the 8m size that this thing is a good autopilot kite, but im getting more accustomed to it at least!
These users thanked the author foursquare for the post:
surfbird (Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:36 pm

I went the other way...
Used 21 m lines at first with the 8 m2, but for me hopeless, no work space and no power when looped.

So using 27-28 m lines now, spot on for me.

I only ride this kite in 8 max 9 knots though (78 kg)

On the smaller kites 6-5-4-3 I find 21 meter to work well :thumb:

I have only had an 8 m2 Peak4 invert once, and that was when the wind dropped to less than 1 knot, so I am pretty sure your problem has been totally slack lines in your jibe.
Shorter lines will make it fly faster to the other side, meaning higher risk of slack lines in a jibe.

Or in short: Changing line length won't solve this IMO.

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:24 pm

Hi, i do not have enough waves to appreciate, So i am selling my p4 5m, in France, 490 euros. Almost new, used 5 hours.

Tsachi1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 70
Style: Freestyle, Free ride, hydrofoil waves
Gear: 12m Airush ultra 2019
Liquid force Imulse foil + Pocket board
F-one Bandit 10m , 8m , 7m

Postby Tsachi1 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm

Peak4 wave catchers -
Do you play with the kite while on the wave ? or just park it 11/13 o'clock ?
I have ridden the 5m , on an onshore wind , blowing around 12-15 knots , and tried to test the drift everyone is talking about here .
I have catch a wave , not too big one , and the peak folded and fell out from the sky.
now my peak is teared up , since it got messed with the hydrofoil on the wave break point .
I am thinking if to fix it / buy a new one , since was pretty disappointed from it folding on me while on the wave.
Please share your technique , and rules for wave catching with it .

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:56 pm

Tsachi1 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm
Peak4 wave catchers -
I have ridden the 5m , on an onshore wind , blowing around 12-15 knots , and tried to test the drift everyone is talking about here .
I have catch a wave , not too big one , and the peak folded and fell out from the sky.
now my peak is teared up , since it got messed with the hydrofoil on the wave break point .
I am thinking if to fix it / buy a new one , since was pretty disappointed from it folding on me while on the wave.

Uuuh, you have been expecting too much.... :wink:

The "Incredible drift" is when compared to LEI's, then they got way more drift without dropping.

But often you can not park the kite and just zig zag down the line, which I believe is what you somehow did?
Eventhough onshore, so DTL is not the correct word, I know...

But you have to learn to explore the limits yourself - see how deep you can ride a wave downwind, just having the kite parked, to find the border.

And yes, we usually fly the kite around when going full bottom turns and cutbacks - as this is what it is best at, it turns on a dime on demand, and you can either depower or pull the bar to back it deeper in the zone - total control.
In particular because it can accelerate so fast both down AND up, that you can turn it around effortlessly with one hand, and the more wind the higher you can make the turns, and eventually maybe ride it parked.

The thing is though, that even when doing that, the kite sometimes get slack lines if you choose a desired path on the wave - but it will recover easily, compared to any LEI, and in general you will feel an amazing freedom, compared.

So my advice would be to just ride it like you did with your LEI's, and now you will gradually over time find it has quite extreme capabilities, compared to your LEI's :thumb:

8) Peter

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:11 pm

Tsachi1 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm
Peak4 wave catchers -
I've got about 70 hours on Peaks. I'm always riding in side-on conditions, a lot of them very modestly powered on a 6m - & I have to say I have NEVER had a Peak4 fold on me & fall out of the sky. So, I find myself wondering how you managed it?

My "technique"? 1) Riding upwind slightly into the swell, turn the kite downwind & carve downwind onto the wave face. At that point there is almost no pull in the kite as you ride the swell downwind more or less towards the kite. The Peak will float along quite happily sheeted out with occasional sheeting in to gain a bit of speed if necessary. 2) Carve downwind onto the wave face & keep carving round. The kite will come around very nicely & if the timing of the swell is right can then cut back on the swell with the kite coming around again very nicely. 3) Ride across the wind toeside slightly downwind, bank upwind onto a swell & carve off downwind & then upwind again to catch the next swell. Rinse & repeat.

Occasionally, in really lightly powered conditions, the kite will start to fold as you gybe towards it. Carve a little more sharply upwind to put a bit more tension in the lines & tug lightly on the bar to push a little more air into the canopy ... & it will recover & open out again. This last situation is where a 3 strut, or even a one strut may drop out of the sky & fall in the water. I have never had this happen with a Peak. The lightness of the kite allows it to recover more easily. If there's really too little wind to keep the kite in the air through the gybe ... I would stop gybing & jump off the board to focus on keeping the kite in the air. At that point it's time to head for shore & there's probably not enough wind to water start. But, again, keeping the Peak in the air as you swim/drag in is much easier than with any other kite.

Return to “Foil Kites”