Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby surfbird » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:43 pm

Tsachi1 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm
Peak4 wave catchers -
Do you play with the kite while on the wave ? or just park it 11/13 o'clock ?
I have ridden the 5m , on an onshore wind , blowing around 12-15 knots , and tried to test the drift everyone is talking about here .
I have catch a wave , not too big one , and the peak folded and fell out from the sky.
now my peak is teared up , since it got messed with the hydrofoil on the wave break point .
I am thinking if to fix it / buy a new one , since was pretty disappointed from it folding on me while on the wave.
Please share your technique , and rules for wave catching with it .
Peak drifts fantastic, until you get line slack.
Avoid line slack at all cost.
I guess thats what happened to you?

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:17 am

Tsachi1 wrote:
Peak4 wave catchers -
I have ridden the 5m , on an onshore wind , blowing around 12-15 knots , and tried to test the drift everyone is talking about here .
I have catch a wave , not too big one , and the peak folded and fell out from the sky.
now my peak is teared up , since it got messed with the hydrofoil on the wave break point .
I am thinking if to fix it / buy a new one , since was pretty disappointed from it folding on me while on the wave.
If you end up travelling towards the kite faster than the speed of the wind, any kite will fold or fall out of the sky.

I agree with Peter, you need to find how close you can ride to the speed of the wind without the kite falling out of the sky.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:03 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:17 am
Tsachi1 wrote:
Peak4 wave catchers -
If you end up travelling towards the kite faster than the speed of the wind, any kite will fold or fall out of the sky.

I agree with Peter, you need to find how close you can ride to the speed of the wind without the kite falling out of the sky.
I had my most perfect moments on a 3m and 4m in windwaves in complete silence and a parked overhead kite, with the 5 I have to work more with the kite. But with a little line tension and a little moving kite you still have that wow feeling with the 5m.
It is very condition depending thing, and most of the time I foil in crappy gusty conditions with the peaks. When you feel the LE stall / collaps, pull / yank the bar and release, you will most of the time open the kite and adjust your course to mantian line tension and let the kite fly again, this are all "split second" corrections, after that tiny correction go on what you're doing (but perhaps a little better)

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 am

If a peak is about to collapse, i sheet the bar in hard, and I rotate the bar downwards to get even more back line tension. I don't leave the kite above my head in waves, better to have it back in the window. Diving the kite from up high can allow it to hold it's shape better than having apparent wind pushing against the trailing edge and collapsing it as it sinks backwards.
The 3m and 4m allow more freedom, because you'll usually be using them in 15 knots of breeze or more, and a wave foil won't make the apparent wind go to zero or negative.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 am

Tsachi1 wrote:
Peak4 wave catchers -
The Peak cannot tweak physics.
When you foil down the wave face (not down the line but directly "downhill") you will easily overtake the kite in 12-15 kts of onshore wind. No kite can stay in the air then.
Follow the good advice of the other posters here.
I can also confirm that no LEI kite is able to drift as good as the Peak. I can foil down the line in cross-onshore wind with the 4 and 5 m² Peak in total silence (zero wind noise in my ears), with minimal line tension (hard to feel any tension) and the Peak just drifts along with me. Sometimes it starts to sink backwards without loosing its shape (but looks critical!), I then quickly adjust my course upwind a little bit and everything is fine again.
When I try this with my LEI wave kites it is super annoying as they are permanently on the brink of falling down. Only with my 5 m² Core Section it works, but wind has to be around 20 kts. I use the Section when wind is too strong for the 4 m² Peak. It is always scary to switch from the gentle Peak to a relatively "super agressive" Section in such a case :lol:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:59 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 am
The Peak cannot tweak physics.
Exactly! Any kite needs some line tension to stay in the air. However, because of its lightness & efficiency, the Peak needs less than others. Only a minimal amount of line tension will keep shape in the Peak. When you are moving, your board speed creates apparent wind which helps keep the kite flying. As you foil towards the Peak on a wave the lies may appear to be very slack & there may be no noticeable pull from the kite, but there is still some amount of tension in the lines that keeps the kite's shape. Moving the kite a little to generate a little apparent wind, or changing board direction a little to generate a little apparent wind will keep the kite flying.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:02 pm

Started hydrofoiling a while ago, now I enjoy it more than the surfboard. Problem is my smallest Peak is a 5, and with a 1250cm wing I don't need much wind at all to get going. So I have more power than I need at like 15 knot already, I'm pretty lightweight myself.

Do I get a 3m Peak, a 4m peak or a smaller wing. Bear in mind I'm a beginner with 5 sessions on the foil. I just want to progress and start practicing my footswitch but it's too windy for me now on the 5m.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:39 pm

Get the 4

My favorite one of the bunch. Ideal for the really fantastic wave foiling range of 15-20 knots. On short lines its great up into the low 20's. Has a lot more range than the 5m and if you start getting overpowered on it you know your really into your foiling and will likely get a 3 as well.

In the smaller sizes there is just the right amount of overlap and skipping the 4 would leave you uncomfortable at times at the top end of the 5m and the bottom end of the 3. Right when the waves are amazeballs and the 4m would be in its prime.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
ieism (Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Tsachi1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 70
Style: Freestyle, Free ride, hydrofoil waves
Gear: 12m Airush ultra 2019
Liquid force Imulse foil + Pocket board
F-one Bandit 10m , 8m , 7m

Postby Tsachi1 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:03 am

surfbird wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:43 pm
Tsachi1 wrote:
Peak4 wave catchers -
Peak drifts fantastic, until you get line slack.
Avoid line slack at all cost.
I guess thats what happened to you?
Yes I was testing how fast I can catch the wave towards the wind , and probably have passed the kite.
Thanks for your comments .
I've ordered a 4m to try in stronger winds , hope it will work better for me .

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:06 am

Ran into a new situation yesterday: all my sessions using Peaks so far (about 50) have involved a solo hot launch. I'm launching either in side-on winds or on a deep sandy beach where there is no problem hot launching. However ... yesterday the wind at my local spot was almost dead onshore. I set up as usual expecting to be able to tweak the kite round a bit to get it fill with wind. I had 4 failed attempts before I gave up. The beach is less than 40 feet wide & the water close to shore is completely full of floating weed crap - impossible to launch from the water without getting 30 kg of weeds attached to the lines (I tried :( ).

It only occurred to me afterwards that it ought to be possible to side launch the Peaks. I'm assuming other people launch this way ... possibly they have to launch this way. Any tips as to the best way to accomplish a successful side-launch?

Return to “Foil Kites”