For all foil kite riders
junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby junebug » Wed May 12, 2021 7:03 am

Trent hink wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:27 am
Landing I always just grab the outside lines and back the kite straight down.

In hyrdofoiling wind I just wrap the outside lines once or twice around the bar (depending on how I have the lines trimmed), push the bar a bit into the sand and casually walk up to the kite.

If I was way overpowered on the hydrofoil, or out on my surfboard, I do the same thing, but if the kite won’t sit still I just grab one line and keep it tensioned as I walk towards the kite.

It might flip around once or twice as I am doing this, but if I keep tension on one line it can’t pull hard or take off, and at the very worst it settles into a slightly twisted pile that will take no more than 5 minutes to straighten out, at the very most, and usually way less.

I don’t understand how anyone ever has a problem putting one of these down. Landing the 5 in plenty of wind to rip up wind well-powered on my surfboard seemed like it was gonna be sketchy on my first try, but the reality is it was, and is, super easy.
I have about 10 self landings under my belt. On all, I have backstalled the kite down, pulled in a little more on the outside lines, and then held all 4 lines as I walked to it. On about 5 of my attempts, the kite took flight when I was about halfway there. This happened in light wind, and I was able to hold the lines low with my hands and get the kite to lay down eventually, but that would be hairy if that happened in high winds. I assume I just need to pull in a little more on the back lines once the kite is on the beach, but I’m still trying to sort out how much.

So, my question: When you say you wrap the outside lines one or two times after backing it down, do you mean like you are winding the bar up? Or do you mean wrapping the outside lines perpendicular to the bar?

Also, when you say you grab a line in high winds after backing it down, are you talking about an outside line or inside line? Or does it matter?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed May 12, 2021 8:48 am

junebug wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:03 am
I have about 10 self landings under my belt. On all, I have backstalled the kite down, pulled in a little more on the outside lines, and then held all 4 lines as I walked to it. On about 5 of my attempts, the kite took flight when I was about halfway there. This happened in light wind, and I was able to hold the lines low with my hands and get the kite to lay down eventually, but that would be hairy if that happened in high winds. I assume I just need to pull in a little more on the back lines once the kite is on the beach, but I’m still trying to sort out how much.

So, my question: When you say you wrap the outside lines one or two times after backing it down, do you mean like you are winding the bar up? Or do you mean wrapping the outside lines perpendicular to the bar?

Also, when you say you grab a line in high winds after backing it down, are you talking about an outside line or inside line? Or does it matter?
50% is quite a lot on your efforts. Maybe under wind's load on kite the kite lines on your hand slip a bit allowing launching. Typically if you make full power with your bar, then take steering lines also to middle point hole you kite should be secured down on backstall. So you can in this position rewind lines to bar in light wind and kite will stay and then grab the kite. If you over tension back lines Peak4 will lift off in reverse TE first. So don't over-do it.

If kite launches you can flag it out by just grabbing one steering line and throw bar towards kite to make other 3 lines loose so that kite will flag out in wind direction on your one line.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed May 12, 2021 11:48 am

junebug wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:03 am

I bring the outside lines near the center line and wrap perpendicular to the bar.

The goal is to have the kite park and just sit there. If you wrap the outside lines too much, the trailing edge will want to lift up.

In higher winds, with the peak it does not really matter which line you grab.

If you have the kite parked on its trailing edge, You can grab two lines on one side if you like.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed May 12, 2021 7:30 pm

There's a big difference in solo landing a Peak (or any kite for that matter) in light winds & in strong winds. The 4m in around 25 knots was pulling hard even at the edge of the wind window ... & jumping around a lot in the gusts & lulls. With a tube kite I will pull on the front lines when the kite is around 10 o'clock so that the kite comes down. As it lands I pull the the front line to pivot it further around into the wind. In strong wind the kite may lift off, but in anticipation of that I'll move quickly towards the kite while holding the front line so that it flags out as it flips through the wind window. Usually it will land on its back & I can walk towards it continuing to hold the flying line. Very rarely, I will pull the safety.

Unlike a tube kite, a Peak will depower instantly if you can release the tension on one side of the lines. Wondering if it's practical to do that by grabbing one, or both, of the bottom lines while moving quickly towards the kite?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed May 12, 2021 7:42 pm

In very strong wind. 4m Peak on surfboard for 75 kg rider and feeling very powered

this is are my steps

1. Crash land on side of ww. /this give you totally powerless kite in any wind strenght, till kite open its shape and retension lines - this is usually more than 1 second/ Hand on release while send it to side
2. In moment kite of crash disconnect from kite /pull ball release in my case/ while simultaneously going to the kite to release tension and made it harder for kite to regain shape.
3. Ditch the bar and pull 2-3 m of one line /better upwind ones - but doesnt matter very much. This make any Peak 5m and smaller flagged
4. Continue going through that line to the kite - best direction is 45 degrees to downwind /i.e to the kite and downwind/
5. Secure kite /harness is enough/
6. wind the lines - nothing is twisted or tangled

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri May 14, 2021 12:06 pm

spied on the french forum...

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Fri May 14, 2021 12:25 pm

elguapo wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:06 pm
spied on the french forum...

Pretty! Thats peak4 in a limited edition color “dove”.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 14, 2021 6:42 pm

True, my friend just got a Peak4 in 4 and 6 m2, and I saw his 6 was the limited edition - great :thumb:

8) Peter

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 pm

I'm trying to develop this "No hand " Surf.
Does anyone has good tips?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon May 24, 2021 11:01 pm

Need to see more of the bar and kite to really help, maybe chest or mouth mount, but I’d start with more wind and have the kite oriented straight up but so that it will drift to the tack your on. Once it starts to one side it’s gonna keep going that way until you need to correct. If it’s really windy you might be able to stay right under the kite, switching tacks to keep it from really initiating to either side.

Likely can get some really long rides, but it requires letting the kite dictate your line. I think I’m personally geared towards letting the water dictate my line and pilot the kite to allow my line of choice.

Have been unhooking lately and it definitely requires you adapt your line to accommodate. Early days and I’m enjoying it, but have to say I also really enjoy hooking back in for a faster more dynamic run every few sets. Likely more fun unhooked when the waves are decent. There are bits unhooked when the bar is weightless in hand that is likely similar to what your after but with a bit of kite control.

Definitely remember when it was magic on a wave board.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Tue May 25, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
LeoLeal (Mon May 24, 2021 11:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”