Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Janus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:08 am

Onda, I have the 11 also, dont'know what the 8 feels like but 5, 4, 3 are the magic kites..
the 11 is not playfull at all. Not all the good Peak's plusses are available on the bigger sizes.. wind strength is an important factor in drift, and size for playfullness.
I'm very pleased with the 5 and even more with the 3m.. a 4m is on my wishlist for 18-24kts.
The 11 is a session saver for me, in 7-15kts (15 is not fun..) with drops to 3-4 kts on my local pond it is so far the best kite to use for foiling.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi Janus,
I understood that the sizes above 5 m² are less enjoyable.
That´s why I focus on the 8 m² instead of the 11 m². If I could ride it between 9/10 and 13/14 kts with the 8 m² (with Moses 633) it would be fine for me. I don´t want to ride in very low winds as I´m not riding inland / on lakes.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:11 pm

Sailboard wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:21 pm
Hello all ,
Excuse me for my English !
To read you I am really tempted by a 5m for the Foil wave. I'm not the type to drop my wings, but the relaunch questions me! (On the lake among other capricious winds ..)
On the leading edge in reverse the peak does not take off again?
On the trailing edge: full window from the front is that right?
Hi Sailboard.

I have been flying Peak 4’s for 12 months (foil kites since Speed 3) and have successfully relaunched my Peaks 100% of the time.

Ok the whole truth / disclaimer. I have crashed the Peak 4 5m exactly 3 times, always in strong (20kt) wind in open ocean. Every time the kite has crashed leading edge down and the trailing edge has been able to sit up catching the wind. From this position it’s a simple reverse launch like every other foil kite. I think in a different position / light wind/ water on canopy it would be very different.
These users thanked the author Jzh_perth for the post:
Sailboard (Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flamax
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 85 KG
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Vrouwenpolder, Rockanje
Gear: Boardriding Maui Cloud E - 6.2 & 3.7
Flysurfer Soul - 12
Naish Pivot - 6 & 8

Moses ONDA 633/483
Groove Wave
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flamax » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 am
Flamax, Ouddorp is my main spot. So next time, let´s meet and you can test my 5 m Peak!
Have you been in Ouddorp last Saturday? I saw two guys, one with a Cloud / Flysurfer...

I have the Peak4 5 m² since recently (my first foil kite) and I´m super happy with it. Every session with it I discover another aspect of it and I get happier and happier :D
I have zero worries about relaunch, simply because it is very very unrealistic to ever put this kite into the water (unless you make a massive steering mistake). Even in the lightest of winds it stays in the sky stable as a rock, you can totally forget about this kite and focus on walking / dragging / swimming back to the beach in case the wind should not be enough to foil. My Naish Boxer 2020 10 m² (which I regarded a very nice foil kite, originally) feels like a sluggish stone in the sky, constantly wanting to fall down, compared to the Peak.
I think I´ll buy the 8 m Peak as well which, together with the 5 m Peak, will make the 10 and 8 m Boxers obsolete.

This kite is not for racing or traveling in straight lines. It is so super playful and turns so easily that I find myself doing gybes all the time. Even in super light wind it makes gybing super easy as you never have to be worried that the kite might fall out of the sky when riding into it.
Thanks for the quick answer did you see my email ?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:11 pm
Peak 4 5m exactly 3 times, always in strong (20kt) wind in open ocean. Every time the kite has crashed leading edge down and the trailing edge has been able to sit up catching the wind. From this position it’s a simple reverse launch like every other foil kite. I think in a different position / light wind/ water on canopy it would be very different.
20 knots is pretty excessive wind for the 5m Peak 4, for me it's sweet spot is 12-14 knots. Sadly I find that in those wind ranges when I try and reverse launch it the LE fills up with water and just pivots when I pull on the back lines instead of lifting out of the water.

I've had success relaunching it just by reducing tension in the lines and letting the wind blow it over on to it's back though.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
Jzh_perth (Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flamax
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 85 KG
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Vrouwenpolder, Rockanje
Gear: Boardriding Maui Cloud E - 6.2 & 3.7
Flysurfer Soul - 12
Naish Pivot - 6 & 8

Moses ONDA 633/483
Groove Wave
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flamax » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 am

Onda wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:31 pm
Hi Janus,
I understood that the sizes above 5 m² are less enjoyable.
That´s why I focus on the 8 m² instead of the 11 m². If I could ride it between 9/10 and 13/14 kts with the 8 m² (with Moses 633) it would be fine for me. I don´t want to ride in very low winds as I´m not riding inland / on lakes.
I can't respond to your PM yet because I do not have enough posts yet.
Can you send me your mobile phone number in PM so I can send you a message ;)

PS. Sorry guys for using this thread :P

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:33 pm

I finally got some wind to try my 4m.
Fantastic kite works very well with relative small wing (470)
I'm using 14m lines, seems to do very well.

Wind was between 10-14m/s, slightly overpowerd.

A videoclip from my follow me mission:

One thing that I havn't seen any mention, it's also a very good school kite. And I been using it for teaching my 10 years old daughter.
After a few session she were bodydragging looping the kite with a big smile on her face! I'm so happy I bought this kite :-)

Thanks you all that made be buy these fantastic kites :-)

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:25 pm

I was kiting in Italy, and an experienced dude told me my 11m had a bit of a kink in it and likely one the bridles had a knot. He said the C provably.

I found no knots and the kite flies fine. Do i start with a mixertest or is he just pulling my leg? :roll:

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:51 pm

ieism wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:25 pm
I was kiting in Italy, and an experienced dude told me my 11m had a bit of a kink in it and likely one the bridles had a knot. He said the C provably.

I found no knots and the kite flies fine. Do i start with a mixertest or is he just pulling my leg? :roll:
You can fly the kite without lines to have the kite really close.
In low wind, take both front lines (@ the pigtails directly under the mixer) and attach to the hook on your harness, control the depower and steering with your hands on the back lines,(grab the pigtails under the mixer). Now the kite flies just 2 m above you and you can clearly see if the kite does look ok and symmetric.
i th

Someone also said in this tread (I have not tried yet myself) that the peak can fly/sit on it's tip without input from the bar. If you anchor the chicken loop and steer the kite low to one side (like a self landing) and leave it there, you should be able to walk up to the kite and have closer look.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:00 am

ieism wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:25 pm

We often get dried seaweed that can catch a bridle line and remain in the canopy during flight. Maybe you had a temporary problem like this and it eventually righted itself.

Return to “Foil Kites”