Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby bitxopalo » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:14 pm

I have a P4 5m and had stability issues, due to gusty and turbulent wind in my home spot.
Specially wingtip foldings.

I have found the solution, I am going to take some pics about it and post it, easy, 10 min and totally reversible
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
ieism (Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Re: New 5m Peak4 constantt flapping

Postby lederhosen » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:07 pm

watercamper wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:40 pm
I've flown my new 5m now abt 5 times. Wind speeds were in the range of maybe 10knts to 20. It doesn't just flutter. It's like I'm holding a jackhammer. It seems to have a very small sweet spot where this motion stops. I've made sure that all my line lengths on my control bar are equal. What else can I do? The new 4m I bought doesn't have this issue; just the occasional flapping.
It is normal for a 5m peak to flutter in 20kn. The 4m should be better for that wind. I think you are right with the smaller sweetspot. The windrange of singleskins is smaller.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:39 pm

watercamper wrote:
I've flown my new 5m now abt 5 times. Wind speeds were in the range of maybe 10knts to 20. It doesn't just flutter. It's like I'm holding a jackhammer. It seems to have a very small sweet spot where this motion stops. I've made sure that all my line lengths on my control bar are equal. What else can I do? The new 4m I bought doesn't have this issue; just the occasional flapping.
Maybe it needs to be set up a bit differently: pigtails to make the front or back lines longer?

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:00 pm

This is my fix for the wingtips folding issue on Peak4 5m.

IMO the problem is caused by turbulent wind, and is more frecuent in the upper range (or passed the upper range)
In my spot the wind is unconsistent, so I can not choose between 4m or 5m ...speed wind changes fast ,and wind direction too. Some users suggested high V bars can solve the problem, I have tested both type (low and high V) and got the same annoying wingtip folds.

With the help of flysurfer technical service I have prove the following.
1-in the mixer short 5mm C level and short 10mm B level (order is important cos C is independent from B)
2-Tie trim knot on BI (first you have to untie b6 b5 b4 and b3 make the knot and tie again)
3-Tie trim knot on CI (first you have to untie c6 c5 c4 and c3 make the knot and tie again)

The knots are on the red dots

Here is the result:

For me the result is day and night, I have some HF session recently with horrible gusty wind (coming from the mountains) between 8-25kn and although sometimes was uncomfortable I could keep control. I have not found any change on kite's low end.

hope it helps
Last edited by bitxopalo on Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post (total 3):
Atte (Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:05 pm) • nothing2seehere (Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:51 pm) • Sceotend (Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:11 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:39 pm
watercamper wrote:
Maybe it needs to be set up a bit differently: pigtails to make the front or back lines longer?

Indeed, equal line lengths are just a rough thumbrule and nothing but that.
You might have to shorten your rear lines yes.

But in 20 knots the 5 m2 Peak4 should work fine on a surfboard :thumb:

In 10 you cant ride, only if on a hydrofoil board, and only "just about" if average weight.

You dont write what board you use, TT or Surfboard or Hydrofoilboard?

In 20 knots on a surfboard it is a lot of flapping when walking on the beach with the kite depowered though, but I have never experienced any folding in this, or more wind.
But have read about one or two experiencing this?
On a hydrofoilboard I use the 5 m2 in wind between 11 and 15 knots.

You write you have "flown" the kite watercamper?
Does that mean you have not been on the water?

Yes these kites has a smaller sweetspot than LEI kites, but in 5 and 6 m2 it is not that different.
Whereas for the small kites 3 and 4 m2, it is a super small sweetspot, one has to get used to - can be an unwanted experience the first times you ride.
But you will soon get the hang of it, and love how easy it is to control without using any trim :thumb:

8) Peter

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:01 pm

watercamper wrote:
20 knots is too much for the 5 meter on a hydrofoil, but the kite should behave fine in wind speeds well above that as long you keep it slightly powered.

It sounds like something is wrong with your kite, rather than your bar tuning, and if the 4 meter is working fine for you then that probably rules out operator error.

Is it possible that what you are experiencing is related to the span line (b-safe) being a bit too short?

Easy to check and that's the only issue I have heard of that's been reported with solutions on this thread.

It's not impossible that you got a dud... Have you tried contacting your dealer or Flysurfer?

watercamper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 146
Local Beach: US: the Columbia river Gorge, lower Columbia river, Oregon coast. Mexico: La Ventana (Rasta beach in El Sargento) BCS
Style: Foil mostly, Surf, TT on the ocean
Gear: Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8 UFO V2; 3, 9m V1.1
Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8,9m SST
Flysurfer Peak4, 4, 5, 6, 8: Peak5, 4
Flysurfer Hybrid 3.5
Naish Pivot 8,9m
Liquid Force Mission Control bars modified for foil with Infexion seat belt, DIY lines
Ocean Rodeo click bar
Lift Classic 150, 101 cm mast
Sabfoil W590/S330, 101 cm mast; W550/S325; W679/S483
Slingshot 2020 107cm micro Dwarf Craft board strapless, 11 liter
Slingshot 2022 100 cm Dwarf Craft, strapless, 11 liter
4'10" Firewire Evo Helium
Cabrinha 137 n 141 Tronic
Mystic, Ion, O'Neill, Buell, Patagonia, Pro-Tec, Liros, Infexion

Postby watercamper » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:45 pm

Ok. I'm digesting what you all have written. I'm 67kilos on a Lift 150, strapless 107cm SS bd. I'm not a beginner. Just new to foil kites. I normally take the 5m out when it starts to get to 11 or so here in Baja. I love the kite. Drift is awesome. I never get to fly the 4m as my wife is using it. I did talk to the local FS guy this am. He said what I see is normal and that I just have to get used to it. I'll play around with some of yor suggestions. Thanks!
These users thanked the author watercamper for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:53 am

I'm 65kg with a surf foil and the 4m Peak4 is my most used kite. If it's consistently 15 knots and above I'll change to my 3m Peak4. I'll use my 5m Peak4 when it's 12 knots or less.
Therefore I think you're using the 5m in too much wind for your weight and foil when its over 15 knots. It would be ok in 20 knots with a surfboard for example, when the kite has more load on it to stop flapping. But in over 15 knots you're probably sheeting the kite out which will naturally make it luff/flap. The Peak4 kites are powerful for their size and originally designed to pull you up a mountain. You simply have too big a kite for your weight, foil and wind. Get another 4m Peak4 for the stronger days or maybe a 3m Peak4 for your wife :D
You'll love the 3m when it's over 15knots.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:25 am) • bitxopalo (Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:21 am) • watercamper (Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:24 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:28 am

Why is my left steering line always crossed when I self launch the kite?

I know I can walk the lines out and fix it, but im lazy. I don't understand how it happens when I never undo the bar from the kite and it was fine when Ianded it last time... How does this even happen?

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:10 am

bitxopalo wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:00 pm
This is my fix for the wingtips folding issue on Peak4 5m.

IMO the problem is caused by turbulent wind, and is more frecuent in the upper range (or passed the upper range)
In my spot the wind is unconsistent, so I can not choose between 4m or 5m ...speed wind changes fast ,and wind direction too. Some users suggested high V bars can solve the problem, I have tested both type (low and high V) and got the same annoying wingtip folds.

With the help of flysurfer technical service I have prove the following.
1-in the mixer short 5mm C level and short 10mm B level (order is important cos C is independent from B)
2-Tie trim knot on BI (first you have to untie b6 b5 b4 and b3 make the knot and tie again)
3-Tie trim knot on CI (first you have to untie c6 c5 c4 and c3 make the knot and tie again)

The knots are on the red dots

Here is the result:

For me the result is day and night, I have some HF session recently with horrible gusty wind (coming from the mountains) between 8-25kn and although sometimes was uncomfortable I could keep control. I have not found any change on kite's low end.

hope it helps
Interesting, thank you. I might try this myself, even though I have been quite happy with my Peak 4 and usually wing tips are unfolding by shaking the bar or turning the kite.

Comment / Questions:

- B and C level explained in the manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15408 ... =18#manual), as a beginner I didn't know the terminology. Also, should you have written "order is important cos C is dependent from B"?
- What's the best knot type for trimming Bl and Cl?
- Can I use this on Peak 4 8m?

Return to “Foil Kites”