12 m2 North Evo 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jbrodin » Sat May 29, 2021 10:38 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:24 pm
jbrodin wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:57 pm
I have a Peak4 4m and a Soul 10m. I am considering getting another Peak for light wind days on the hydrofoil, and to have the 5th line safety instead of the Soul for long trips on snow. I am torn between the 8m and the 11m. Which one give me that extra edge when the wind is really low? I weigh about 75 kg.

Are we talking water or snow here???

I dont understand your question.

You have a 4, so the next step if you want to go with as few kites as possible, would be the 6 m2.

I find the 6 turns fine, and compared to the 5 the sweetspot is around 10 knots instead of 12, and it drifts great in any waves.

Whereas the 8 turns slow, and you only move the low end a tad down (besides needing longer lines on this one), compared to the much faster 6, so I would not go with the 8.

If you want a lot of low end, and a kite that hangs in nothing, go 13 m2 (or 11)

If you want extreme low end, go with an UL double skin kite.

8) Peter
Thanks Peter. I mean both for ski-kiting on snow and hydrofoil on water. There are not much waves where I go out, so the aim is to get something that can improve the low end I get out of the 10 Soul, with the added safety of the 5th line (especially useful when caught in a snow blizzard). I don't want a big racing foil kite, too big to lug around, too expensive and too complicated.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sat May 29, 2021 11:25 pm

dirk8037 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:27 pm
Question in a different approach.
I am wondering how much I can change the low end of the peak if i do not have to waterstart.

The idea is to use a 6ft wingboard with a bigger frontwing, climb on it and get going.
What size would be necessary to get me foilung with 90kg. Speed is irrelevant, staying upwind should be possible.
Thanks for help.
Dirk

well.

i played with a 13m peak on a 75L wingboard in seabreeze...
and the low end on a 13 peak4 appears to be more or less the min wind necessary to hotstart and keep the keep kite in air.
if you can balance yourself on one knee..then you should be able to pump the board and the kite.
it wasnt fun... but was able to get flying on foil with some (but not unreasonable) effort.

jbrodin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: 4 m2 Flysurfer Peak4 2020
5 m2 Cabrinha Radar 2015
7 m2 North Neo 2013
9 m2 Core Nexus 2 2021
10 m2 Flysurfer Soul 2020
12 m2 North Evo 2012

Postby jbrodin » Sun May 30, 2021 2:13 pm

ieism wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:32 am
If you are scared of going out with your 11 in light wind for this reason, I advice you to just stuff two plastic bags blown up in the cells and tie them to a line or cell divider. Just two small ziplocks will totally keep the kite on the surface and allows me to relaunch even the 11. It does not change the flying of the kite at all and takes me 30 seconds to do.
What pockets on the leading edge do you put the bags in? Center? Near the edges?

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Mon May 31, 2021 10:59 am

I guess it depends a bit on the size kite. I typically put two bags to divide the kite in 3. It will likely go into the water leading edge first, so if you can prevent it from taking water you should be alright. Just try it.

Oldman_Dave
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge & Zephyr kites
Nobile Board

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon May 31, 2021 11:00 am

dirk8037 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:34 pm
@drsurf
„ I have a 100kg rider at my beach who gets going on a Tray with a 1000sq cm foil in a steady 10 knots with a 5m Peak4 on 24m lines. “

Whoa. That is quite a claim
Dirk
I'm nearly 100kgs and go fine in steady 10kt wind on 6m p4 with 1300cm² foil. 94cm board. So it's better than I can do (above) but seems possible to me, the difference in power between 5m &6m isn't huge and I don't claim to have the greatest skills. . Sub 10kt I move to a twin skin ultralight foil kite. (10m nova U/L).

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon May 31, 2021 1:46 pm

I think we're very fortunate with the predominant summer wind at our kite beach. Being a seabreeze, coming from a long fetch across the water and having no high obstacles behind the beach, it is virtually always steady with very few gusts or holes. It will also tend to increase throughout the day so you can start in very marginal conditions and know it will get better.
This favourable wind is also accompanied by beautiful sunny weather in the mid to high 20°'s and 20° plus water temperature. It's perfect Peak4 surf foiling conditions :D

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Mon May 31, 2021 1:53 pm

Sounds good, can we come?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 31, 2021 7:55 pm

drsurf wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:46 pm
I think we're very fortunate with the predominant summer wind at our kite beach. Being a seabreeze, coming from a long fetch across the water and having no high obstacles behind the beach, it is virtually always steady with very few gusts or holes. It will also tend to increase throughout the day so you can start in very marginal conditions and know it will get better.
This favourable wind is also accompanied by beautiful sunny weather in the mid to high 20°'s and 20° plus water temperature. It's perfect Peak4 surf foiling conditions :D

Actually it sounds like perfect conditions for ANY kite 👌

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon May 31, 2021 10:56 pm

drsurf wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:46 pm
Sounds perfect ... except for the plague of mice. :-?

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon May 31, 2021 11:20 pm

jbrodin wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:38 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:24 pm
jbrodin wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:57 pm
I have a Peak4 4m and a Soul 10m. I am considering getting another Peak for light wind days on the hydrofoil, and to have the 5th line safety instead of the Soul for long trips on snow. I am torn between the 8m and the 11m. Which one give me that extra edge when the wind is really low? I weigh about 75 kg.

Are we talking water or snow here???

I dont understand your question.

You have a 4, so the next step if you want to go with as few kites as possible, would be the 6 m2.

I find the 6 turns fine, and compared to the 5 the sweetspot is around 10 knots instead of 12, and it drifts great in any waves.

Whereas the 8 turns slow, and you only move the low end a tad down (besides needing longer lines on this one), compared to the much faster 6, so I would not go with the 8.

If you want a lot of low end, and a kite that hangs in nothing, go 13 m2 (or 11)

If you want extreme low end, go with an UL double skin kite.

8) Peter
Thanks Peter. I mean both for ski-kiting on snow and hydrofoil on water. There are not much waves where I go out, so the aim is to get something that can improve the low end I get out of the 10 Soul, with the added safety of the 5th line (especially useful when caught in a snow blizzard). I don't want a big racing foil kite, too big to lug around, too expensive and too complicated.
I have 3,4,5,8,11 meter peaks.

I once owned an 8 meter soul.

I'm sort of guessing, but I think the 11 meter peak will mostly cover the wind range of your 10 meter soul.

If you are experienced, the soul 10 will go better in higher winds, but on the low-end, the 11 meter peak will be strikingly much easier to use, just because it will be much easier to fly and control in lighter wind.

The performance won't be better, not at all, but the handling and ease of use will be much easier, aside from if you drop the kite.

I'm 82kg and using the 11m peak with a Moses 633 pretty much down to the same conditions where other hydrofoilers are using their 12 meter souls.

Below that, and especially at your weight, you might need to think about getting race gear

Return to “Foil Kites”