Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jbrodin » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:50 am

Trent hink wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:20 pm
jbrodin wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:38 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:24 pm
I'm 82kg and using the 11m peak with a Moses 633 pretty much down to the same conditions where other hydrofoilers are using their 12 meter souls.

Below that, and especially at your weight, you might need to think about getting race gear
The main problem I have with the Soul is not the power in very light wind, it is that it drops into the water in the lulls, and when the wind is borderline light I don't get it up again. So, one of the things I was hoping for was that the Peak would be less likely to drop on me. Another aspect is off course the ease and safety. The Soul is a bitch to
pack in deep water.

Thanks! I suppose that you answers my question - between the 8 m and the 11m - the 11m Peak gives me more low-end than the 8m? I guess I'll be getting an 11m.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:08 am

It is possible to drop the 11m.. 8)
dropped it yesterday in a lull.. TE down, right tip folded and water inside, left clear and open.
got some wind and was too eager te restart.. it almost went to LE down.. managed it to Cobra again.. and then LE down.. backline restart to TE down again.. wind lull again.. waiting with only about 6/7 open cells in 2/3 kts.. waiting.. thinking of packing down and swim in in the glassy water.. waited..
took 10 minutes, sitting on the board, and there was a little wind again 7/8kts max.. slowly restarting, don't pull the lines, just lift them and let the wind do the thing.. and voila up again. :D
To be honest I wasn't expecting to succeed, if I was in a shorty instead of my warm wetsuit I had already packed down immediatly.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:46 am

Flyboy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:56 pm
drsurf wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:46 pm
I think we're very fortunate with the predominant summer wind at our kite beach. Being a seabreeze, coming from a long fetch across the water and having no high obstacles behind the beach, it is virtually always steady with very few gusts or holes. It will also tend to increase throughout the day so you can start in very marginal conditions and know it will get better.
This favourable wind is also accompanied by beautiful sunny weather in the mid to high 20°'s and 20° plus water temperature. It's perfect Peak4 surf foiling conditions :D
Sounds perfect ... except for the plague of mice. :-?
It's no surprise that I moved to this location over 20 years ago because of the good wind and many waterways, from open ocean to bays and estuaries. It is great for all types of kiting and windsurfing.
When I got here I had to figure out how to make a living and that worked out well too :D

Flyboy, we're on the coast, far from the cropping country where the mice are. We're surrounded by kangaroos, wallabies, possums, various other native furry animals, snakes & lizards and in the water we have lots of fish, dolphins, sharks, stingrays and penguins. A lot of the waterways are Marine Parks and on the land there are a number of National Parks.

My heart goes out to those affected by the mouse plague. It's truly of biblical proportions with mice everywhere. If you had a kite in the house overnight they would end up chewing through it and breeding more mice within :cry:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm

drsurf wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:46 am
Flyboy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:56 pm
drsurf wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:46 pm
I think we're very fortunate with the predominant summer wind at our kite beach. Being a seabreeze, coming from a long fetch across the water and having no high obstacles behind the beach, it is virtually always steady with very few gusts or holes. It will also tend to increase throughout the day so you can start in very marginal conditions and know it will get better.
This favourable wind is also accompanied by beautiful sunny weather in the mid to high 20°'s and 20° plus water temperature. It's perfect Peak4 surf foiling conditions :D
Sounds perfect ... except for the plague of mice. :-?
It's no surprise that I moved to this location over 20 years ago because of the good wind and many waterways, from open ocean to bays and estuaries. It is great for all types of kiting and windsurfing.
When I got here I had to figure out how to make a living and that worked out well too :D

Flyboy, we're on the coast, far from the cropping country where the mice are. We're surrounded by kangaroos, wallabies, possums, various other native furry animals, snakes & lizards and in the water we have lots of fish, dolphins, sharks, stingrays and penguins. A lot of the waterways are Marine Parks and on the land there are a number of National Parks.

My heart goes out to those affected by the mouse plague. It's truly of biblical proportions with mice everywhere. If you had a kite in the house overnight they would end up chewing through it and breeding more mice within :cry:
Australia sounds very nice, but there seem to be biblical proportions to everything there recently: fires, floods & now the mice. Of course OZ - like Canada - is a big country, so large parts of the country may be completely unaffected.

I'm grumpy because, so far, this year has been terrible for kiting. Last year, my first year of dedicated foiling, I was getting at least 3 or 4 good sessions a week on the water, sometimes more. The wind this year has been dismal. I just spent the last 3 days standing on the beach, unable to foil even though the forecasts called for winds somewhere in the 10 - 20 knot range each day. On the Great Lakes there's a phenomenon we call "doming". When the lake water is still cold & the air (wind) is much warmer, the wind fails to fill in close to shore, even though it can be blowing hard a few kilometres further inland. It' sort of the opposite of a sea breeze. Very frustrating.

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:01 pm

No mice here, but your Roomba eating your bridles is not much better.. :wink:
Attachments
20210601_082150.jpg

junebug
Frequent Poster
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:42 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Australia sounds very nice, but there seem to be biblical proportions to everything there recently: fires, floods & now the mice.
Don't forget spiders:

junebug
Frequent Poster
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:39 am

I crashed my 4m Peak today in 20kn winds (12-25kn lull to gust) and 2-3 feet of swell. My first crash. I learned a few lessons:

I crashed because I had looped it a bunch of times in the same direction on a waterstart and then I tried to get the outside lines uncrossed all at once by pinwheeling the kite. I knew it pinwheeled fast, but I wasn't prepared for how fast it was once it got going. I came out of the pinwheel with the kite headed down instead of up and couldn't correct it in time. The lesson here, for me anyway, is to uncross the lines with a series of loops instead of going for it all at once with a pinwheel.

Once it hit the water, it instantaneously turned into a wet pile of fabric. I was not very far offshore and I was pretty close to breaking waves (maybe waist-stomach high) so I didn't even try to relaunch. I just sat on my board and starting winding up my lines while kicking toward the kite to avoid tensioning the lines and pulling the kite under water. I stopped when I got to the rings, and I probably should have kept going a couple of more wraps.

Once I got to the kite, I tried to get the kite oriented so I could roll it up but it didn't work very well and, by this time, I had been pushed close to the break. Also, I felt the bridles hitting my legs underwater, which spooked me a little bit, so rather than take the time to roll it up I just gathered it the best I could and stuffed it in my mesh backpack. Given that the waves weren't that big and I probably had more time than I thought, it was a mistake not to do a tighter pack down.

By the time I got to the beach, the wind had dropped a little bit, so I decided to just take the backpack off, put up the 5m, and deal with the 4m lines at the end of the session. Being a novice foil kiter, when I came back to the 4m, it was a total rat's nest the likes of which I have never seen. It took me over an hour to get everything sorted, and I'm not exactly sure what I did, but, next time this happens, I will do everything in my power to roll the kite up as cleanly as possible so I don't have to deal with that again.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:53 am

Wrap all the way up to the grey lines and it will be easier next time. Much less to tangle on feet, harness or foil. The kite will sort of naturally taco making it easier to get a tip in hand. A tight wrap job keeping the bar in/along the leading edge is also pretty key to easy swimming and in water handling as well as easy clean unwrapping on land.

Letting go of a pinwheel is definitely something to be timed well and best done with the kite high in the window.

Have done my share of wet exits and they get easier with a bit of practice! It’s one of those moments that are best not to rush.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:18 pm

junebug wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:42 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Australia sounds very nice, but there seem to be biblical proportions to everything there recently: fires, floods & now the mice.
Don't forget spiders:

What's wrong with spiders?
However we do have some of the most poisonous spiders in the world, not to mention excruciatingly deadly jellyfish the size of your little fingernail, 5 metre man eating crocodiles, small but deadly blue ringed octopus and the most deadly snakes.

You do get used to living amongst these things however. We don't have the deadly Irukandji jellyfish here yet, they're in northern warmer waters but climate change is bringing them closer :o
Only Peak4's can save us!
Last edited by drsurf on Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:23 pm

i've changed my mind, I'll stay here and cope with marginal conditions.

Return to “Foil Kites”