jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 pm

Have only had the 6m out on water once so far and from what I can tell.... there wont be much wave riding. 10-13 knots is generally pretty flat to teeny tiny little one foot wind swell. Have had a full season on the 5m and plenty of those sessions were near flat too. Am pretty sure I'm not going to get a lot of waves on the 6m.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:16 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 pm
Have only had the 6m out on water once so far and from what I can tell.... there wont be much wave riding. 10-13 knots is generally pretty flat to teeny tiny little one foot wind swell. Have had a full season on the 5m and plenty of those sessions were near flat too. Am pretty sure I'm not going to get a lot of waves on the 6m.
Yeah - there are some places, of course, that have waves without much wind. Not around here though. :-?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:50 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:16 pm

Yeah - there are some places, of course, that have waves without much wind. Not around here though. :-?
Even a Peak4 or Alulla Nano Cloud needs 3-4 knots apparent wind to fly. At 11 knots true wind you're downwind vmg is limited to 6-7 knots to keep the kite in the air. The average beach break moves along at around 6-8 knots so it could only really work in side-side off conditions.

Bottom line, not likely much wave riding going on with the 6m Peak4.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun May 02, 2021 9:02 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:43 am
4 was my favorite size until I got the 3...

On the peak bridle, the lines are very thin, but the bridle is super simple for a foil unless you want to compare it to a 2-line foil kite.

Just keep in mind that the ideal water use is for riding waves and swell with a hydrofoil.

Although they are easy to fly, even in not enough wind to ride, the downsides are that the upwind performance is not very good, and you should not really expect to be able to relaunch if you crash the kite.
interesting...

the 3 was my favorite kite...until i got the 4m.

i used to also use LOONG(close to 30m) lines (i think a little shellshocked from a breaking wave once swallowing the kite mid-loop.).. but these peak4s are awesome on 12m racing lines.

raphc
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 200
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride, Big Air
Gear: TT
Hydrofoil
Has thanked: 0

Postby raphc » Sun May 09, 2021 12:33 am

Hi everyone,

I am about to order a quiver of Peak 4 for hydrofoiling.

I am 90kg.

How would you a build a quiver?

I am pretty sure about 3, 4 and 5m.

But then I have doubts about buying anything bigger among 6, 8, 11 or 13m.

I have read a good part of the thread but still dubious about what to do.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 am

raphc wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:33 am
Hi everyone,

I am about to order a quiver of Peak 4 for hydrofoiling.

I am 90kg.

How would you a build a quiver?

I am pretty sure about 3, 4 and 5m.

But then I have doubts about buying anything bigger among 6, 8, 11 or 13m.

I have read a good part of the thread but still dubious about what to do.
It depends on how big a quiver you want ... & what wind strength you intend to go out in.

I am 80 - 84 kg (depending on the time of year). I currently have a 6m & a 4m. The 6m gets me foiling in about 10 knots, the 4m starts in about 14 knots. I would say that the 4m is the essential kite as it will cover the golden 15 - 20 knot range for you. Add the 3m if you want to foil in winds much over 20 knots. Below the 4m is tricky: 5m will drop the starting to wind to about 12/13 knots, the 6m to 10/11 knots, the 8m to about 9/10 knots & the 11m to perhaps 8/9 knots (I'm estimating - as I haven't tried either of them). It's generally considered that the performance advantages of the Peak4's diminish as they get larger. If you wanted to get better low end than the 6m you could skip the 6m & get the 8m or 11m as the gap between 8m or even the 11m to 5m would be manageable. The 8m & 11m aren't going to allow you to enjoy the fun feeling of riding a Peak4 ... but they will get you going in less wind, if that's what you're looking for.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun May 09, 2021 5:01 am

I have 3,4,5,8,11 at around 83 kg with Moses 633.

I think flyboy’s range estimates are very good.

In my local conditions, I think I might be better off if I got the 6 and skipped the 8.

I think the 8 and bigger are mostly only good for easy cruising in light wind, but guys heavier than me might have a different opinion.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Tue May 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Raph I am 95kg+ & my quiver is 3, 4, 5, 6 p4s &10m Nova Ultra light. I'm happy with that arrangement.

Most used & versatile is 5m. Fave 4m. Least used 3m. Some days 6m is perfect.

For me 10m Nova is better light wind machine than large p4.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Tue May 11, 2021 2:25 pm

Have to retract a bit of sentiment from my last couple posts in this thread. Had a weird session yesterday. Wind was strong but dying a bit. It only really died down to 15/16 knots, but it wasn't filling into the launch very well. Thought I'd be fine on the 5 but struggled. Switched up to the 6m and was fine, but it looked like 4m peak weather. Anyway, rode some really nice residual swell and really had my first good play on water with the 6m. It drifts just fine. Out where the waves were I could have been on a smaller kite, but the 6m handled it well and heading down swell it was awesome, just like the others.

I ride the 6 on stock line length and the others are on shorter lines so the 6m felt a bit like a waltz, but super fun session, and I'm super glad I got it. Wont really lower my bottom end so much as improve it.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue May 11, 2021 5:56 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:25 pm
Have to retract a bit of sentiment from my last couple posts in this thread. Had a weird session yesterday. Wind was strong but dying a bit. It only really died down to 15/16 knots, but it wasn't filling into the launch very well. Thought I'd be fine on the 5 but struggled. Switched up to the 6m and was fine, but it looked like 4m peak weather. Anyway, rode some really nice residual swell and really had my first good play on water with the 6m. It drifts just fine. Out where the waves were I could have been on a smaller kite, but the 6m handled it well and heading down swell it was awesome, just like the others.

I ride the 6 on stock line length and the others are on shorter lines so the 6m felt a bit like a waltz, but super fun session, and I'm super glad I got it. Wont really lower my bottom end so much as improve it.
Glad it's working out for you! :)

As you may have noticed ... it's been !#*%ing freezing around here. The lake water's cold, the air's cold - because the air is cold, the lake stays cold the air stays colder etc. etc. I've had 5 sessions - it's a bit different from the DR. :-?

I had a session on Ontario where I attempted to go out on my 4m rather than the 6m & couldn't get going. A session where I got going with the 4m ... but should have gone with the 6m. I ended up looping the kite into the water trying to water start (wind too light) on the outside. It resulted in a longish swim carrying the kite, as the board had by then drifted downwind. Couple of sessions on Erie in 20 - 25 knots. I found it uncomfortable with the 4m & ended up coming in pumping up my 6m wave kite & going out with the SB.

Question: best technique for self landing a Peak in strong onshore winds? My last effort was a bit of a mess. All my previous attempts were in lightish wind & a bit of a wind shadow. I'm thinking to try positioning the board down wind & landing the kite against it. Anyone tried this successfully?

Return to “Foil Kites”