Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby LeoLeal » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 am

Why a Peak4 5 m² has more power than a 5 m² Lei?
What I have notice is that Foil kite doesn't have that "C" shape, they are more flat, they tend to have more area perpendicular to the wind. Is it this that make them more powerful for m²?
Last edited by LeoLeal on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:10 am

LeoLeal wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 am
What I have notice is that Foil kite doesn't have that "C" shape, they are more flat, they tend to have more area perpendicular to the wind. Is it this that make then more power for m²?
Another nice session on the 4m. Started on the 6m in about 13 knots, but as the wind picked up a little I quickly realized that I could be on the 4m. There is something a little weird about zipping around on a 4m kite when other people are on 12m, 13, or even 14m kites. For me the 4m feels already rock solid in 14 knots. I would say the 4m works comfortably from about 13 knots up to 18 knots. Still useable above that, but starts to flap more. The responsiveness of the 4m is really amazing, along with a lightness of feel through the turns which is really confidence inspiring. You feel like you can modulate the power of the kite exactly as you need it, which allows you to concentrate on riding the foil. Nice. :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:36 pm

LeoLeal wrote:
What I have notice is that Foil kite doesn't have that "C" shape, they are more flat, they tend to have more area perpendicular to the wind. Is it this that make them more powerful for m²?

All foil kites has more power than LEIs per m2 surface area, because of what you write, more projected area, nothing new to that.

But what is special with the Peak4 in the smaller sizes, is their ability to accelerate a lot faster than a LEI, both when flown up or horisontal (super low weight), so you can get power on demand instantly, or for quite long when needed, from almost all kite positions.

Meaning, for kitefoiling their low end is quite extreme, thus you can ride a smaller size than even an equivalent poweret LEI.

On non foil boards this difference is a bit smaller.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
LeoLeal (Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Had some big waves a couple of days ago. Tried to get out on the foil and Peak4 but it was too shallow for the foil in front of the waves and the waves were too consistent and big to drag through them.

So it was out with the 9m LEI surf kite and surfboard, gear designed for such conditions. Easily started in knee deep water and rode or jumped over the waves with no problems. Got some good rides on overhead waves which I've never seen before this time of the year coinciding with good wind as well.

Catching some good waves was great but using an LEI kite and a water slapping board ... what a drag, literally :( Those long upwind legs to get back out to the peak, triple the pull on my harness just to get around on these kites and boards, LEI kites are so slow to turn, power/depower and the drift I was used to when riding down the line with a Peak4? It isn't there on an LEI kite. Got to keep attention on the kite so it doesn't fall instead of riding the wave.

I've been only flying Peak4's on my hydrofoil for the last 6 months, mainly 4m, 3m and 5m, in that order of usage, in winds from under 10 knots to 30 knots. Man have I been spoilt. Being able to accelerate and de-accelerate with the foil/Peak4 to catch and match the waves, instant responsiveness from the kite even in lulls, drive upwind in one short tack to get to the peak & relax while doing that leg and not have to worry about the kite lacking drift.

Next time we get such a good swell I'll be more prepared. If I can't get the foil through the shorebreak, I'll at least use a suitable sized Peak4 instead of an LEI and have a more responsive drifting kite to go with the surfboard.
I feel sorry for the average kiter on a 10-14m LEI and TT/surfboard while I'm effortlessly whizzing around on a 4m Peak4 and foil. Only downside is I'm not getting the physical exercise I used to when kiting :)
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
Horst Sergio (Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:53 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:36 pm
LeoLeal wrote:

All foil kites has more power than LEIs per m2 surface area, because of what you write, more projected area, nothing new to that.

But what is special with the Peak4 in the smaller sizes, is their ability to accelerate a lot faster than a LEI, both when flown up or horisontal (super low weight), so you can get power on demand instantly, or for quite long when needed, from almost all kite positions.

Meaning, for kitefoiling their low end is quite extreme, thus you can ride a smaller size than even an equivalent poweret LEI.

On non foil boards this difference is a bit smaller.

8) Peter
What I notice, in particular, when water starting underpowered a Peak is much more willing to go UP from the bottom of the downstroke, presumably because of the low weight. A tube kite tends to stall on the upstroke when underpowered.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:53 am

@drsurf
Thanks for Your post. Nice to hear this from somebody who seems to know both setups well. So I also added this post to the link list (nr. 14).
drsurf wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:44 pm
... while I'm effortlessly whizzing around on a 4m Peak4 and foil. Only downside is I'm not getting the physical exercise I used to when kiting :)
Yes, me to, but there is a perfect solution. I haven't been on a wave with a Peak while being hooked since about 1,5 year, sometimes I try to ride a wave hooked again but today this feels completely wrong. Don't be worried about dropping or releasing the kite when being unhooked, my experience is that crashing doesn't happen more frequent than when being hooked, maybe even less. The Peak4 flies just perfect unhooked on a wave. The also nice wave kite ConceptAir Firefly for example and instead is less good unhooked, why I sold it, as wave swell riding for me is just unhooked as with a wing, so no need to have a kite here that needs to be flown hooked.

And about the physical exercise: Normaly I go upwind most of the time hooked as already the moment before and after the wave being hooked causes a bit of exercise, on the wave is anyway nearly effortless for the arms. But if you want to increase exercise it is also no problem to always stay unhooked also the whole upwind run, as I also do sometimes for the same reason. So by the quote of being unhooked you can exactly trim your amount of physical exercise.

And if you are not sure about crashes you may try this suicide bar setup,
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2401224&p=1078844#p1078844
which should also keep the kite relaunchable in moderate swell when bar is released, even if actually I don't use it and have not tried it in higher waves yet, but when you try it yourself you will understand why it should be pretty reliable, apart from the shore break that eats every kite and where I don't go with my hydrofoil and Peaks anyway.
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post (total 2):
LeoLeal (Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:13 am) • gregkn73 (Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:28 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:41 am

FWIW: after about 12 hours of riding the 4m Peak4 I finally succeeded in dropping it in the water. I was actually waterstarting & managed to loop it into the water. Fortunately it went in in a conventional nose down position & I was able to reverse launch it within about 15 seconds.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:13 am

Bit of a reality check today. First day with 20 knot winds & 2 metres waves for a while. Went out on my SB & 9m wave kite for the first time after 2 weeks on my foil & (mostly) 4m Peak. Was taken aback at how hard the kite was pulling ... even though I wasn't super powered up. Mistimed the first few waves as the kite was sooo slow turning. Had to spend 6 or 7 minutes getting back upwind after each 30 seconds going down the line. I'd forgotten how hard kitesurfing is! :-?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:39 am

Great experience last week with the peak4 5m on the snow (no video, sorry)
The snow was too hard to put snow on the kite to stop sliding , there was space downwind, so i tested a thing i never dare to rest before: unwind the lines on the bar with no need to walk, while kite pulled donwwind by the wind.

Often during the unwinding, the peak was flying, with no control, then going back to ground, but never a real problem in the end and it worked. It was the most rapid kite preparation i never did !!!! Just put the kite on snow, 15 secondes, unwind, less than 1 minute, and go... no leash for safety reason of course. Not for beginners and gentle wind.

I do not advice to do this when not needed, but good to know it is possible and so fast

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 - Sold

Postby BigSky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:26 pm

I'm selling a Peak4 3m. It's Basically new as it's been used once and stored inside. I have the Peak4 in 4, 5, 8, 11m. I love them but I just don't use this one as I wing foil on super windy days. $350.00 Price does not include shipping. Sold
Last edited by BigSky on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”