Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby MaximumAC » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:51 pm

You guys are killing me here. I was considering adding a 12 meter Soul for light wind days (surf wing, 80kg) and using my 5 meter FS4 for 12+ knots. Now I'm not sure if I should try a larger Peak. I kite in a lot of questionable wind shadows and am very often dropping my Neo. Thoughts?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm

tomtom: I have not flown the 8. I have flown 3 5 and 11. I think the 5 is the right size for most to see if Peak foiling is right for them.

No doubt the 11 turns quite slow compared to the 5. It also has a narrow wind range.

The low end limit is based on my ability to haul myself up into a standing position on the board. In a buggy its very fun in 5 knots. Maybe i could get moving with a SUP style board I could sit or stand on? My previous experience is a big floater board just lets me drift downwind toi fast to get the kite lines tight, and ultimately the kite falls.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:23 pm

How slow is 11? As 12 LEI or like 20 LEI?
Regarding Max question i honestly dont know
Still closed cell should be better - with big peak you SHOULD be only riding slow and limited upwind. Can Jakemoore please comment i.e. turning speed of 11 - speed and upwind vs f.e. Hyperlink 12 or comparable power mid aspect Closed cell - Also turning speed maybe also in LEI equivalent because HL12 is slow dog turner...Also didnt you find power stroke on 11 just too weak for HF?

Much appreciated!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:27 pm

MaximumAC: I fly closed cell in light wind more than the Peak. Its faster riding, more fun, and easier to practice footswitches with a little lift. I did swim in with my 13m closed cell a few days ago and that is a bitch. Maybe the peak would have stayed in the air to drag me in? It looked like the wind went to zero so maybe not. A peak would be easier to roll up and especially if you had a stuff sack easier to swim with. The true strength of the peak is riding waves downwind. The Soul probably gets you up on the board sooner. IMO Pulsion is the kite showing the most compelling light wind video. I would choose the big Peak only for surf.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
MaximumAC (Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Tomtom I would say turning similar to 13 Chrono3. 12m Soul is faster but its been a while since I have flown one. Ive have not flown a 12 HL. LEI cant compare because it wont reach the zenith. Flying an LEI similar size in figure 8s is much faster. But from the window edge turning even a light 1 strut toward the zenith is zero in this wind. Of course Chrono 3 smokes the Peak upwind. The power spike us weak so the improvement in low wind is small. But I have foiled on the 11 when the 5 is a no go. Peak can ride upwind on HF no problem. Beam reaches are more difficult due to lack of speed and heavy fluttering in depower. I have not been able to make the Peak ride upwind on surfboard or alaia. If you are thinking of longboard surf feeling you will enjoy Peak4 11. If you are thinking top to bottom turns then no. Stand by to jibe!

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Very interesting discussion. I end up getting a Peak4 4m recently and my first try on snowkite was very fun. I am confident it will be perfect on my HF in 14-22 knots range with either my Onda 633 or Horue H14. I also have a Soul 18/8m quiver and a Kitech FRS12m. So the Peak 4m was the last piece i needed to complete my Hydrofoil quiver. What is nice is thoses are not expensive kite, the Peak i mean ;)

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:44 pm

Many thanks! So it confirm my feelings about very slow turning in bigger sizes. For perspective for me soul 8 is slow kite to turn anything slower is just no go.

Anyway FYI smaller peaks at least 4 goes upwind on surfboard just fine.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:23 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:51 pm
You guys are killing me here. I was considering adding a 12 meter Soul for light wind days (surf wing, 80kg) and using my 5 meter FS4 for 12+ knots. Now I'm not sure if I should try a larger Peak. I kite in a lot of questionable wind shadows and am very often dropping my Neo. Thoughts?
I purchased peaks specifically with the goal of being able to safely get back to a wind shadowed rockwall launch area. Their stability and the way they keep flying in 2-3 knots has been a revolution. This site is basically a no-go most of the time with any other kite.

Out of interest, what happens when you drop the neo at your kiting area - is it a helpful for self rescue, or a hindrance? Lots of people talk about the safety of having an inflatable for self rescue, but I've also seen many situations where a downed LEI makes swimming back in a lot harder.

The peak 4 remains responsive turning with low line tension, when a soul becomes a handful at the edge of the WW.

As per Jakemoore, the 5m peak4 is a versatile size to see if you like them.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Jatem: Not a great source for that question. I kite mostly in 2-4 feet of water. Looking for deeper water but it's a struggle without getting into very questionable situations. I routinely drive my foil into the bottom on a 24" mast. Self rescued a LEI 2 weeks ago in deep water and didn't think it gave me any kind of advantage, but I can imagine things feel different if in the ocean vs bay.

jjjlaudenslager
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none any more
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: kitesurfing
Gear: Naish Ride 8m
many various boards

Postby jjjlaudenslager » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:21 pm

First hydrofoil surf sesion back to back 5m Peak4 vs 6m Cloud. Both were right size for side on wind mid teen to 20 kph. I am not a good surf kiter but the comparison was easy: the Peak was as nice in every way and drifted down wind down the line much better, so kite looping was less necessary, more optional. I have no significant experience with other sizes or types of foil kites.
Last edited by jjjlaudenslager on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”