jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Ice is almost out of the bays here so deep into the gear maintenance phase in anticipation.

Horst has let it drop numerous times about unhooked wave riding on Peaks with short lines.

Anyone else cutting down lines? Rode the 3 and 4m kites on 12m lines last year and liked the improved top end comfort. Just finished splicing up a second set of shorties. Horst mentions lines as short as 9m, but I've kept it to 12. Puts the kites between 16m and 17m from the bar.

Feels strange to go back to chicken loops, but after unhooking the Peaks on snow all winter am stoked to unhook foiling. Have shifted the bars for both the 4 and 5m kites back to CL.

Was surprised at how well the Peak4 flies unhooked. Wasn't expecting that.

Foil_Adict
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne Beach Florida
Style: Foil and wave
Gear: Peak 4 3,5, and 13
Armstrong 4'5 SKT
Armstrong 1250, 1550v2, and 925

Slingshot SST for surf downwinder

Postby Foil_Adict » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:40 pm

How much shorter are you riding on your front lines when riding unhooked? Thinking I need to try some shorter lines and more unhooked soon.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:19 pm

Definitely need a trim strap, esp if like many, you like a little stall available at the bar and run your front lines a few inches long.

For proper unhooked performance you have to trim the kite in until there is no stall at all unhooked. Generally that is wind dependent but it’s definitely a few inches in from all lines equal.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:05 am

finally got warm enough for me to pull out the peak. crashed it on a jump fail. thanks to reading this post and watching horst's videos i new how to relaunch; hooked bar to board, swam to and fixed kite, swam back and up she went. thanks for all the tips everyone.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm

an interesting video from BraCuru..
..a "water test" that shows the real world negative of our beloved peak4s..
(not being able to water relaunch it)

These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
airsail (Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:48 pm

People should be dissuaded ? ! Sort of a what not to do video I guess.

It's a single skin kite. Goes without saying don't ride farther than your prepared to swim. Rather important if you haven't learned anything about how to get them back up.

Other than that, he was super overpowered. Those conditions were NOT blue kite weather! Have never seen mine do any of the funky stuff his was doing in the air. Only looked sort of right when he was heading steep downwind, other than that it was flapping constantly. Even on the beach you could see there was way too much wind for a 5m. I mean, seriously it was visibly threatening collapse whenever he slacked the rear lines... put it down and go smaller! It's been said before, but even just flapping while riding means you should rig down. He ditched the kite precisely because he was so overpowered. The kite collapsed when he let go of the bar just like it threatened on the beach and earlier in the clip. I'll get branded a fanboy, but it is what it is.

As to relaunch. It's no secret, you put it down and don't try to get it back up, your swimming. Just one post up is an example of someone who learned from this thread and successfully reset and launched the kite after a full ditch. It is what it is. I would have though at his experience level he might have given it a try. Just like the clip from the Gorge where someone crashes and battles with a 4m for ages, winding lines, trying to reset, then unwinding with tensioned lines while the kite flops around, this is not an example of "how to" with a Peak4. Incidentally, after more than 10 minutes and at least two resets, the guy in the Gorge clip still managed to relaunch. Resetting the kite is a slack line job, and done properly is not really a stressful affair. Takes a moment and some diligent care with respect to line avoidance, but its not rocket science. There are definitely things that can go wrong in cresting waves or strong current, but if you take the time to learn it, these kites are recoverable.

Even his pack up job was a mess. I guess Peaks not for everyone.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:28 pm

elguapo wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm
an interesting video from BraCuru..
..a "water test" that shows the real world negative of our beloved peak4s..
(not being able to water relaunch it)

Hmmm, going out further than you're prepared or able to swim, going out overpowered with the wrong sized kite, apparently not experienced with the Peak4 either based on the previous two points. A bit embarrassing really.

I think most Peak4 users have had a swim after a crash. I and a lot of other kiters have also experienced a swim using other kites after a crash or kite/line/bar failure. I've also had success relaunching a Peak4 as well.

None of this is new as it has been mentioned many times in this thread. However it bears restating, don't go out further than you're prepared or able to swim or in offshore winds. And preferably don't go out on your own with any kite, as an injury if you crash could leave you dying from blood loss, unconsciousness, hypothermia etc with no-one being aware of your situation or location.

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:53 pm

Not speaking polish(?), I was just as fascinated hearing the full video length non-stop verbal output. Wonder what it is all about...

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:58 pm

i own 5 of these kites now.. (finally got a 4m..i love it, btw)
and i've also put this kite in the water at the worst possible time..which gave me a 3+ hour swim.
yet i still primarily only use these kites when i foil.

i posted the video no neither persuade..or dissuade.
just to show real world.
i unfortunately know that feeling wiping out and seeing my kite a meter under water...
for the ying of the excellent drift and depower ability...there is yang of this actually not being a "water" kite
sometimes we do pick the wrong size kite...get overpowered.. crash and drive kite into the water...and then have to swim
it happens.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:45 pm

What was with the kite looping on the beach?

I can't speak to the relaunching, because the video doesn't really show what happened to cause the ditch & how the kite ended up underwater.

One other point: He's riding a race foil, not a surf foil, which maybe what led him to go with a bigger size kite. Not really the ideal setup for Peaking.

Return to “Foil Kites”