Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Onda » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:06 pm

Floating around wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:47 pm
...Well I had read allot but not all of this massive thread and as a result bought a 6M. tried it in marginal conditions a couple of times and didn’t like it..... no power. gave it another go today. TT’s were on 11 to 14 m kites.
Absolutely amazing, I was fully powered even a little overpowered at times. Super easy and low stress kite. Think the reason I didn’t like it before was because I was choking it, it needs to be free to get some speed up and not hauling on the bar. Guess I will have to get a 4m to compliment it now.
You will be increasingly amazed to more you use the Peak (this is my experience, at least).
It takes a while to fully understand its properties. And the magic moment comes when you´ve been out with the Peak couple of times without using a LEI inbetween. When you then take one of your LEI again, you will know HOW superb the Peak REALLY is. :thumb:
BTW, will also get me a 4m² to extend my Peak-range from my 5 m².
Had a session in 17-23 kts with my Core Section1 5 m² in hip-hig swell and even in this quite strong wind the kite (Core Section) almost fell out of the sky sometimes when I surfed the waves in wind direction. This would have been absolutely no issue with the 4 m Peak, I guess.

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:32 pm

WTF is taking Flysurfer so long to make the „Wa-Peak“ (water peak -> peak with some small bladders...)

Just sold my 17 LEI, just started Foiling (super proud!!!!)
Limiting factor is the falling down of LEI 12 and 9 in too light wind (enough for foiling)...

I am not convinced about the those foil kites like the soul.... but pretty convinced about the Peaks.....

But I know myself..... I will drop the kite for sure!

@flysurfer: go get your work done! I have some money I would like to spend!!!!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:00 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:32 pm
WTF is taking Flysurfer so long to make the „Wa-Peak“ (water peak -> peak with some small bladders...)

Limiting factor is the falling down of LEI 12 and 9 in too light wind (enough for foiling)...

I am not convinced about the those foil kites like the soul.... but pretty convinced about the Peaks.....

Here's the deal (IMO). When you're starting to foil, don't try & go out in very light wind. If you're a competent kiter you won't drop the kite (like a 9m or smaller) a lot learning to water start & go in a straight line. Learning to jibe is trickier, as you're moving towards the kite & need to co-ordinate all parts of the jibe in order to avoid dropping the kite. Once you are competent at jibing ... that's a time to consider the Peak. At that point, you may be less concerned about the water relaunchability of the Peaks. Not to say a more water relaunchable able Peak wouldn't be nice - just likely that there will be some trade-off in performance for it.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
1234567Simon (Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:17 pm

@Flyboy: thanks for the feedback...

I read all 239 pages here....

My issue....
in 10kn with a LEI kite I will get up on my foil no problem. But just a slight lull in the wrong moment and I will swim ....... so I will swim with any kite.... I will not sit on the beach.

But yeahhhhh you are right!!! This was the recommendation a lot of times! Thanks!
I should get a light one strut for the beginning ... sorry...

just got super nervous with the windforcast of almost 10 kn 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Back to topic....

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:17 pm
@Flyboy: thanks for the feedback...

I read all 239 pages here....

My issue....
in 10kn with a LEI kite I will get up on my foil no problem. But just a slight lull in the wrong moment and I will swim ....... so I will swim with any kite.... I will not sit on the beach.

But yeahhhhh you are right!!! This was the recommendation a lot of times! Thanks!
I should get a light one strut for the beginning ... sorry...

just got super nervous with the windforcast of almost 10 kn 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Back to topic....

The reality is, if you're foiling in 10 knots & the wind lulls significantly you risk dropping the kite - any kite. At that point you may have a hard time relaunching any kite ... unless the wind picks up again. It's true that relaunching an LEI in an 11- 12 knot gust is doable whereas the Peak may have foundered by then. The trade off is that you're less likely to drop the Peak in the lull to start with.

The Peak4 isn't a perfect kite - it has its pluses & minuses like any other kite. But I still say it's better to use an LEI in slightly stronger winds while you develop your technique. After that you can evaluate what kites best suit your conditions & preferences.
1234567Simon (Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:37 pm)

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 pm

yeah...

i personally would not even think about a single skin kite unless you can say the words "..i hardly ever drop my kite.."
(if you cant, then...just...stop putting your kite in the water.. . )

each time you go out.. just say my kite won't touch the water today.. and then do it.
and do it again the next day..and the next day.
its not that hard
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
1234567Simon (Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:47 pm)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 pm
i personally would not even think about a single skin kite unless you can say the words "..i hardly ever drop my kite.."

each time you go out.. just say my kite won't touch the water today.. and then do it.
its not that hard
This doesn't really hold true for someone considering switching to Peak 4's from LEIs.

When you are out in 10 knots on an LEI and it lulls down to 7 knots and you put the kite in the wrong spot it'll simply fall in to the water.
When you are out in 10 knots on a Peak it would literally have to lull to 3 knots before this same thing happened, even then you can loop it to keep it up.

With the Peak it's up to you to steer your kite in to the water, don't be worried about it falling in to the water.

Also consider how the wind dies at your spot. I will routinely go out in 8 knots and have the wind die to 4 knots. At that point I'm swimming in, but the kite is still flying and still helping me get to shore and ends up dry because of how little wind the Peak needs to stay in the air and how well it flies in those winds.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
1234567Simon (Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:47 pm)

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:48 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm
elguapo wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 pm

its not that hard
This doesn't really hold true for someone considering switching to Peak 4's from LEIs.

When you are out in 10 knots on an LEI and it lulls down to 7 knots and you put the kite in the wrong spot it'll simply fall in to the water.
When you are out in 10 knots on a Peak it would literally have to lull to 3 knots before this same thing happened, even then you can loop it to keep it up.

With the Peak it's up to you to steer your kite in to the water, don't be worried about it falling in to the water.

Also consider how the wind dies at your spot. I will routinely go out in 8 knots and have the wind die to 4 knots. At that point I'm swimming in, but the kite is still flying and still helping me get to shore and ends up dry because of how little wind the Peak needs to stay in the air and how well it flies in those winds.
It also forces you to better kite-skill. I'm amazed how my kite skills increased when switching to peaks.
I also use it for me 11 year old daughter, and I would never believe how often she manage to save it from ditching.
Would never happened with a kite you know you can easliy relaunch. Most beginners just give up and let it crash.

The only downside is that I tend to end my sessions a little bit earlier than normally, my kite awareness seems to go down when tired.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:32 pm

I went with the Concept Air Firefly for that reason. Closed cell leading edge. The v2 bridle upgrade is big improvement.
I rarely drop my kites but shit happens.
I have no experience with the Peak4 so can't compare but very happy with the FF.
The rare times these have hit the water they bounce off back in the air.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm

I would put it this way: there's nothing about foiling that makes you more likely to drop the kite, even though you may fall a lot initially. If you have good kite flying skills you should be able to keep the kite flying even when you crash hard. However ... flying a kite in light winds makes you more likely to drop the kite, and if the wind is light enough you may find it difficult, or impossible, to relaunch, regardless of what type of kite it is. The answer is to stay away from trying to foil in light winds until you have reached a certain level of foiling ability.

I would advise not getting a Peak initially ... & not getting a one-strut or no-strut either. Use your regular 9m (preferably a 3 strut) in winds only over 12 knots. At that wind strength keeping a regular kite in the air is not a problem. If you drop it, you should be able to relaunch it. Once you're skilled enough to try foiling in sub-12 knot winds, then you can start thinking about what foiling specific kites you might want to get.
1234567Simon (Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:01 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”