Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby omg » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:07 am

Chris,

thanks for checking in.

I wish the 8 (and bigger) would have a bit more 4 and 5m characteristics ie. more peak power, just like the Souls and Sonics have when turning. It would help a lot to get on foil when in lighter winds.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Janus » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:51 am

Chris;
a long mixer test functionality.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Um, new to foil kites. Not that I need it yet but can anyone point me in the direction of a long mixer tutorial?

Edit: The mixer test is explained on page 18 of the kites downloadable manual.

https://flysurfer.com/files/dlm_uploads ... l-EN-1.pdf

As for my wish list..... Relaunch is really the only missing piece, and that is pretty well mitigated by the low wind character of the kite. In some weird way, I almost like it that way. Keeps the exclusivity factor. Not especially proud of that, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that sentiment. There are levels to this and its nice when you break through your own mental walls. Foiling, drift launching, strutless kites, and now this are all things that at first I was intimidated by, and now have learned to deal with.

There are loads of kiters who won't even consider a strutless kite for relaunch reasons, when in actual fact, with a bit of patients and practice, they are one of the best light wind relaunch kites out there.

I plan on spending that time and practice with drift/relaunching the peak4. If I manage to get it sorted and then the next gen makes it a no brainer.... Meh, whatever.

It's a great kite, I'm pretty grateful you make it.

Many thanks to the trailblazers from an early adopter.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:09 pm

My LF Solo. 9M v2 will not easily relaunch in winds where i am easily flying the Peak 8 meter. In those winds, the Solo 9 is hard to keep keep in the air until i get going. The Peak 8 is always in control and never wants to fall out of the sky.

I had an awesome session yesterday on the Peak4 4 meter in knee-high waves. The 4 meter makes the 5 look tame.

Such a fun kite. The 4 needs to be worked, but when you work it, you have complete control of the power. Turn it on, work a bit if you need more, park high it if you need nothing.

Ride straight at it... Make a turn on the wave and send it out the the other way and ride straight at it some more. So cool.

I probably ought to buy the 3m...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:40 pm
It is not hair splitting IMO, as I would choose a 5 m2 tube, at least not a 6, in the same wind as a 4 m2 Peak4.

And with the 8 even less difference...

But if course a bit longer lines with the tubes, to obtain more wave freedom :thumb:

Close to 18 knots is the sweet spot with the 4 m2 Peak for me, and in this wind I am pretty lit with a 5 m2 tube, and 6 would not work for me, too powered.

Just my opinion, maybe others find it different?

8) Peter
OK. I have a complete quiver of wave kites: 11m, 9m, 8, 7m, 6m & 5m. Which one I pick obviously depends on the conditions, but realistically, choosing the 9m or the 8m, or the 7 or the 6m, & so forth, is not always a very clear decision, as the wind almost always moves up & down during the course of a session. With foiling, it seems that, in the "middle range", ie 12 - 18 knots any one of two or even three kite sizes might work well enough as, unlike on a TT, it's possible to make a foil work even in an unpowered situation. At the upper range, like you, I would clearly choose the smallest kite.

I think the tricky part for me, & I suspect lots of other potential users, is that buying one P4 - the consensus seeming to be the 5m - still leaves you in the position of having to use tube kites for conditions outside the ideal range of the 5m. Or ... you have to buy a whole additional quiver of kites, which maybe easy for wealthy Danes, but is hard to justify for some of us! Add to that the apparent consensus that the large P4s are not really ideal light wind kites for foiling - starting with a "light wind" P4 would be the obvious choice for getting into the P4's as it would offer something that a tube really can't compete with at all.

Finally, the odd thing about the P4 is it goes from 3m,4m, 5m to 8m. What about a 6m or a 7m? Surely there would be an ideal wind range for that also?

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Today I had a chat with a sales rep regarding peak >5m. I was asking him what he would suggest given my circumstances. He recommended to go with the 11m instead of the 8m. I don't doubt his expertise in that regard but I was leaning heavily towards the 8m as the gap between 5 and 11 seems too big to me. Maybe he just want to sell his 11m as there is no 8m on stock?

He also gave me the advice to go with a bar with 5.th line due to the safety, wich I heard nothing good of, and with a high Y instead of my V front line separation due to stability issues.

Can someone point me in the right direction here and tell me of his/her experiences.

Thanks in advance

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Dont listen what seller talking if he pushing for sale just one having size as best of best:) sellers are 95 percents layers, if they dont lay they will not sell- you sell you live.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:09 pm

I had an awesome session yesterday on the Peak4 4 meter in knee-high waves. The 4 meter makes the 5 look tame.

I probably ought to buy the 3m...

The 3m is more exciting than the 4m and my favourite really.
These users thanked the author max for the post:
Trent hink (Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 pm

seppalord wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 pm
Today I had a chat with a sales rep regarding peak >5m. I was asking him what he would suggest given my circumstances. He recommended to go with the 11m instead of the 8m. I don't doubt his expertise in that regard but I was leaning heavily towards the 8m as the gap between 5 and 11 seems too big to me. Maybe he just want to sell his 11m as there is no 8m on stock?

He also gave me the advice to go with a bar with 5.th line due to the safety, wich I heard nothing good of, and with a high Y instead of my V front line separation due to stability issues.

Can someone point me in the right direction here and tell me of his/her experiences.

Thanks in advance
I don't think you need to worry about going with a high Y. Plenty of people using peaks on standard 4 line 20-23m low v single front line safety bars. Ive had the 5m through its full wind range on low V single front line bars and its pretty great how easy up, down and around this kite is. I can understand the need for the 5 line B safe set up in the mountains for putting it down and popping it right back up, but for hydrofoiling on water the way most of us do, there is no way I would recommend that. Makes me suspect of your sellers advice on sizing.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
seppalord (Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:39 am)

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:05 am

seppalord wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks in advance
I got 3,5,11.. no experience so far with the 3.
Had another sess on the 11 yesterday, 7-10 kts on 790cm wing and totally flat water on my local pond.. it is great for that and better then my Soul12.. in the lulls it still floats in the air.. the Soul will drop. Playing in waves with the 11 is not something that comes in my mind.. its to slow for that.
At 12 kts I'll step over on the 5. I preferred to have the 8 but i bought the peaks as a set and I am happy with it.
What are the given circumstances?

@ jumptheshark; last monday I wished I had the b-stall safety line.. it was a bit of a struggle to keep the 5 down in 20kts on the backlines, flapping and bouncing..
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
seppalord (Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:49 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”